Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Hey you are using new technologies now, you can do a nosedive.

As to wasting billions - well, that's no big issue for an org giving us a tunnelled EWLRT and SSE. ;)

AoD
So what? Enough of this whataboutism. SSE is being tunneled for its own reasons and EWLRT is plain stupid and should be entirely elevated like the Ontario Line. With this arrangement, we are expecting a transfer not too dissimilar to what's at Kennedy which while it isn't great, isn't the end of the world and will be passable. It also leaves a lot of room for a future fully elevated extension to Don Mills which would be cheap and easy.

So what? Enough of this whataboutism. SSE is being tunneled for its own reasons and EWLRT is plain stupid and should be entirely elevated like the Ontario Line. With this arrangement, we are expecting a transfer not too dissimilar to what's at Kennedy which while it isn't great, isn't the end of the world and will be passable. It also leaves a lot of room for a future fully elevated extension to Don Mills which would be cheap and easy.

Why is it "enough"? The same organization did it - what's good for the goose is good for the gander. It's one thing to have to deal with a legacy problem like Kennedy - it's another to replicate it in the 2020s with a straight face "it is what it is". You want to increase the stickiness of ECLRT and have more of the riders end up on Line 1?

AoD

Last edited:
How so? The style of elevated metro building is very similar to what Vancouver does with the Skytrain, and as that city shows, It can work really well for both development and the public realm.
sciencecentre.png
As you can see, it'll cross the roadway in a very important location, instead of sticking to one side. This will only worsen its impact on the public realm by making it less pedestrian-friendly.

The fact that they chose to divert the Thorncliffe Park section (resulting in two very tight curves and more destroyed trees) is beyond me. And why do they want to make the elevated section go through the middle of the Don Mills/Eglinton intersection? This is terrible for the surrounding development potential and for the public realm!

Can you explain what you mean by this? "This is terrible for the surrounding development potential and for the public realm!" Isn't the development potential going to be unhurt? Crosstown Aspen Ridge (North West), and the Toronto Housing (South West/East) won't be affected. Or am I wrong?

Can you explain what you mean by this? "This is terrible for the surrounding development potential and for the public realm!" Isn't the development potential going to be unhurt? Crosstown Aspen Ridge (North West), and the Toronto Housing (South West/East) won't be affected. Or am I wrong?
The Crosstown Community will definitely not be affected, and moving the station to the South side of Eglinton means that extensions will not interfere with the Block 1 office (https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/crosstown-community-block-1). However, the property on the North-East side will have less space. The city planned for a mid-rise there, but its viability is reduced due to the reduced land. Also, there were squares planned for the corners of the intersections, and this can't happen if there's a guideway and station in the way.

Honestly, I think the best solution (for the public realm) is to bury the line around the intersection.

The Crosstown Community will definitely not be affected, and moving the station to the South side of Eglinton means that extensions will not interfere with the Block 1 office (https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/crosstown-community-block-1). However, the property on the North-East side will have less space. The city planned for a mid-rise there, but its viability is reduced due to the reduced land. Also, there were squares planned for the corners of the intersections, and this can't happen if there's a guideway and station in the way.

Honestly, I think the best solution (for the public realm) is to bury the line around the intersection.

Can you provide a link to the development on the North-East side (city's mid rise?)... I haven't heard or seen anything about it. Isn't it just a Loblaws there that will probably never get broken down? Also what are the squares for the corners of the intersections what does that mean?

First observation, I still have extreme difficulty with their proposed MSF site on which much of this hinges.

They've indicated they're still looking............but ........uh...

The largest configurable site on the route they've identified is this:

1602001499712.png

Its 5 ha and change, less than 1/2 the size of Greenwood, seems like an insanely tight for for up to 250 trains!

First observation, I still have extreme difficulty with their proposed MSF site on which much of this hinges.

They've indicated they're still looking............but ........uh...

The largest configurable site on the route they've identified is this:

View attachment 274498

Its 5 ha and change, less than 1/2 the size of Greenwood, seems like an insanely tight for for up to 250 trains!
Wasn't it 120 trains Metrolinx was going for?

Second though, Wendy's loses the fast food war.

Mx proposes to straight over a Wendy's on Overlea in order to make its turn..........but studiously avoids taking the McDs on Cosburn!

Next thought, this is a very large valley crossing, at nearly 500M, and across an ecologically sensitive area as well.

1602001977759.png

That compares to a 270M crossing at Overlea.

They avoided interfering with a Community Garden and a Cricket Pitch/School yard in this configuration, but now they're almost directly over an archery range.

Back