Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Riders on the 36 and 60 have had their bus commute cut more than in half. It makes a huge difference even if it's not directly in Etobicoke.

I believe @north-of-anything was pointing out you're still about 30 minutes away by bus from these stations from Kipling Avenue.

I don't think that qualifies as good access. Those are the same kind of rides people in Scarborough complain about now.

Why count the ride time to Kipling Stn, when the ride to Finch West or Pioneer Village Stn is much shorter, within 15 min for much of the area.

Residents of Scarborough do not have that option.

Etobicoke is much smaller and narrower - so it can feel well served by subway even though it isn't really. Etobicoke is also pretty much split across the middle with a large industrial area, and most residents live south of it, within a few km of the Bloor-Danforth line. Probably 70-80% of people living in Etobicoke are within a 10 minute bus ride of the subway.

The residential areas in Northern Etobicoke are terribly served by rapid transit right now, though it's better than it used to be with the Spadina extension. The Finch LRT should help with that.

Scarborough comparatively has only a small area on the southern fringe of the borough that are within a quick bus ride of the subway. If you aren't south of Ellesmere or west of Markham Rd, you are pretty much in transit no-go zones unless you like really long bus rides.

Far eastern Scarborough is never going to be a transit utopia, but other than Malvern it's a pretty low density, high income area anyway that probably has some of the lowest transit rates in the city. If you ever drive out there it seems like most driveways have 3-4 cars. The SSE will better serve people north of Ellesmere though, who are currently underserved.
I would say it's more like 70% of the population in Etobicoke are within 20-25 minutes not 10. It also happens that the closest people to the subway are the richest and least likely users of public transit. Anywhere north of Eglinton is 15 away plus infrequent buses if you're not on Kipling or Islington.

I would say it's more like 70% of the population in Etobicoke are within 20-25 minutes not 10. It also happens that the closest people to the subway are the richest and least likely users of public transit. Anywhere north of Eglinton is 15 away plus infrequent buses if you're not on Kipling or Islington.

A lot of density is in the north of Etobicoke, near Finch and Steeles. Those residents are not particularly rich.

They are within a 15-20 min ride to Finch West or Pioneer Village subway stations, and the Finch / Steeles buses are frequent. Their situation is a lot better than in much of Scarborough.

Last edited:
Do I have to point out that Yonge street isn't right the middle of the city. Technically the center would be east of Bayview.

So the far east of Scarborough is the furthest away from the core and thus furthest away from the subway system (which is built more balance). There is 11.5km of rapid transit built in Scarborough vs 4.2km built in Etobicoke to offset the distance. Based on that fact, Etobicoke should go on full whining mode for the less loved part of the city. Building the full Eg West subway would only add 6.7km to Etobicoke for a total of 10.9km meaning if they done nothing, Scarborough would still have more (grade separated) rapid transit.

Scarborough would always be harder to get better transit as it's further away from everything. If the people living there are upset, they should quit bitching and move closer to the city. Getting a subway way out there won't make it closer to get downtown.

Norther Etobicoke is always difficult to access the subway hence a subway on Eg West would actually help alot. A lot of the riders head directly to Line 2 instead of eastwards. It's one of the "very few" good reason to have a subway instead of a surface LRT.
Thats why 927 is one of the best routes in the city. Yes, its not a subway but it does a great job servicing northern etobicoke, humber college and woodbine mall to kipling given what it has to handle east of highway 27 onto finch/martin grove

Far eastern Scarborough is never going to be a transit utopia, but other than Malvern it's a pretty low density, high income area anyway that probably has some of the lowest transit rates in the city. If you ever drive out there it seems like most driveways have 3-4 cars. The SSE will better serve people north of Ellesmere though, who are currently underserved.

In the East, Scarborough Village and Kingston Galloway are not low density, nor are they high income. They are very low income areas. The SSE stop at Lawrence and McCowan will really help Kingston-Galloway commuters with a closer stop and one less trasnfer for many. As for Scarborough Village they need a real BRT or LRT to Kennedy station. I fully agree more commuters in north Scarborough will finally have a reason to consider public transit for certain commutes with the suwbay but i dont see any major change in behavior until the Sheppard subway is built to provide more options and it should go to Markham and Milner to better serve the people of Malvern

Most will continue to drive in the East until public transit can show itself to be reliable and fast covering various destinations for at least most members in the household out here. Sadly, we are so very far off from that even being considered. A simple Google search will show you the massive discrepancies in most commutes for us. If anything this is why I say the rapid bus lanes in the East wont end well, as far too many families whether you live in a house or apartment here have atleast one member who needs a car to access opportunities in a timely manner. And now the City has chosen to take away 2 lanes of traffic and replacing them with no real 'rapid' public transit upgrades aside from a slogan, more confusion on the road adding into a public transit system that is has long been far too unreliable, slow and poorly connected.

If we are serious about people taking public transit, we have to pay the price to grade separate it and make it as rapid, reliable and also connected as possible. The City planning for Scarborough has failed on at least 2 out of these 3 key components in every plan for decades. The people here are very fortunate as to what the current Conservative have done to fix the SSE and push the Sheppard subway forward as well as the people in the West with the EWLRT changes. The City planning has failed, and continues to fail the people who live here.

Last edited:
Do I have to point out that Yonge street isn't right the middle of the city. Technically the center would be east of Bayview.

So the far east of Scarborough is the furthest away from the core and thus furthest away from the subway system (which is built more balance). There is 11.5km of rapid transit built in Scarborough vs 4.2km built in Etobicoke to offset the distance. Based on that fact, Etobicoke should go on full whining mode for the less loved part of the city. Building the full Eg West subway would only add 6.7km to Etobicoke for a total of 10.9km meaning if they done nothing, Scarborough would still have more (grade separated) rapid transit.

Scarborough would always be harder to get better transit as it's further away from everything. If the people living there are upset, they should quit bitching and move closer to the city. Getting a subway way out there won't make it closer to get downtown.

Norther Etobicoke is always difficult to access the subway hence a subway on Eg West would actually help alot. A lot of the riders head directly to Line 2 instead of eastwards. It's one of the "very few" good reason to have a subway instead of a surface LRT.
While Scarborough is served by 1 highway (401) for a population of 700,000, Etobicoke is served by 4 highways (401, 427, QEW, 409) for less than half that population. There is already a lot of imbalance there.

I mean if your answer to transit in the city is quit bitching and move closer to the downtown core then you really are not trying to improve rapid transit throughout the city.

If I could afford to move closer to downtown smart guy I probably would as a east Scarborough resident myself.

Scarborough has Kennedy station / warden station / Victoria Park, everything else are RT stations that serve inside of Scarborough.
Etobicoke has plenty of subway stations to take them in like every direction of the city and especially to the downtown core.

EELRT with a few less stops would've solved a lot of issues for Scarborough residents, s Sheppard East extension solves everything else.

The Dayan Pagoda metro station in Xi'an, Northwest China's Shaanxi Province has this on the wall on the station.

64c7f341-df8b-4690-a0a0-ef6e1bea6714.jpeg

Pictured is a mural at Exit C of Dayan Pagoda metro station in Xi'an, Northwest China's Shaanxi Province depicting the Buddhist monk Xuanzang's anachronistic visit to the Taj Mahal of India. From link.

Maybe for the "art" in the Eglinton West LRT stations, they'll include statues. Suggested for the Kipling/Eglinton West Station or Royal York/Eglinton West Station:
rob-ford-toy.jpeg

From link.

BTW. Any names suggested for the stations?

The Dayan Pagoda metro station in Xi'an, Northwest China's Shaanxi Province has this on the wall on the station.

64c7f341-df8b-4690-a0a0-ef6e1bea6714.jpeg

Pictured is a mural at Exit C of Dayan Pagoda metro station in Xi'an, Northwest China's Shaanxi Province depicting the Buddhist monk Xuanzang's anachronistic visit to the Taj Mahal of India. From link.

Maybe for the "art" in the Eglinton West LRT stations, they'll include statues. Suggested for the Kipling/Eglinton West Station or Royal York/Eglinton West Station:
rob-ford-toy.jpeg

From link.

BTW. Any names suggested for the stations?
Here's what I have from east to west. Eglinton Flats, Scarlett, Westmount, Richview, Richmond Gardens, Willowridge, Renforth Gateway, Convair, Silver Dart, and Pearson Airport.

1601496106591.png

From west to east: Renforth, Martin Grove, Richview, Silver Creek, Humbervale, Scarlett, Roselands, Mount Dennis.
Richview is more suited for the intersection with the high school with that name but that name could be applied to Martin Grove, Kipling or Islington. Richview Park is right at the NE corner of Martin Grove/Eg.
A name for Kipling would be interesting. It will be one of the busier stations on the extension. Packed load of 945 headed for line 2 would dump most of their riders there instead.

Back