Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I am talking about some NIMBY's reaction towards almost silent subway trains passing in their neighbourhood.

To be fair this is an elevated viaduct on top of an elevated viaduct. I support doing it, even though I know it comes at the expense of a track on a constrained and planned-for rail corridor. But probably wise to call a spade a spade. In that it's not similar to Line 3 on the surface, and that it's a fairly tall order as far as transit plans in the city go. Not as much as Davenport Diamond. But fairly tall.

12B vs 11B. Sure 1B is a lot of money, but considering how much farther it goes, and how much the route is simply better, its significantly more worth it. The same route using the original DRL plan and heavy rail technology would be far more expensive, and for what? A significantly worse route, far longer interchanges, and the only benefit being a smidge of higher capacity? Give me a break.

How was it a "significantly worse route"? It was actually pretty good in following Carlaw. Seems like there are a lot of new posters who don't really know much

Reactions: syn
I haven't bought into anything, I'm just pointing out the stupidity in your crusade against what you consider to be too much sound. Also nice that you didn't actually argue any of my points.

My crusade?

Kind of hard to take this seriously with that kind of remark.

I'm saying they have a legitimate right to question the impact of this project on their community. It isn't just about sound.

I certainly have the right to question a project that has a critical flaw relative to the last iteration, one that was already quite far along, planned in cooperation with the community it's running through.

You did it, you actually did it, you brought up that NIMBY map. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

For the record, the map shown in that article is one of the most misleading maps ever drawn about the Ontario Line. As it turns out, that yellow blob without the ontario line? Just a few pixels smaller, because as it turns out this rail corridor is loud as hell. The actual impacts of widening that rail corridor, are basically negligible.

How was it a "significantly worse route"? It was actually pretty good in following Carlaw. Seems like there are a lot of new posters who don't really know much
Extremely long connection to East Harbour, requiring a transfer that sees you going up several stories of escalators simply because they wanted to tunnel under don river, and the segment along Queen is a waste. Having the Ontario Line head south and have a stop near Distillery is way better than a stop at Sumach that serviced basically nothing. Key destinations is what matters, not just following corridors.

That is certainly fair. I am not saying that every complaint should be dismissed out of hand and reasonable accomodation to the local communities should not be shown but the operative word is reasonable. Expecting taxpayers to bailout an extra billion so they can have an underground network because they choose to live on a rail corridor is patently unreasonable.

They will complain about vibrations when its buried underground too. You can't win.

Vaughan has three subway stations: VMC, the 407, and Pioneer Village (the northern entrance is in Vaughan and the YRT bus terminal is in Vaughan).

SRT is a subway, functionally. Its big problem is that it doesn't go where the riders want to go, but just dumps them at the terminal of another subway.

As someone who lives near the Yonge Line (underground), no additional noise is a lie. I can definitely hear and feel the train as it rumbles past.

Fair. Would that be the case now with a new tunnel build?

Is it worse than running it above ground?

Its not even that, its completely political, nothing about the Ontario Line is good and everything about the original DRL was perfect. I wonder why....

Who has written that?

The OL has it's merits. It's nice to see a plan that includes some of the western part of the city. Unfortunately it has some critical flaws.

Residents aren't wrong to question how it will impact their community, especially when the process has been so secretive.

If we're being honest, Scarborough has 8 subway stations. The SRT is a metro by any definition. It's a subway in everything but name.

Good point.

Having to transfer there has never seemed out-of-the-ordinary to me.

Fair. Would that be the case now with a new tunnel build?

That depends on how cheap it is. Modern TTC standard is double-tie and floating slab which eliminates most vibration into the ground, but cost is reduced if you go without those bits.

Those features are marked as a "Toronto Compliance Plan Design 14.1" but I've never actually seen a document titled "Toronto Compliance Plan Design"; or whether it's a nice-to-have or required by the city.

Reactions: syn
In regards to the noise aspect for leslieville and the flemington park / thorncliffe park area I respectfully disagree it should be of any concern. People around the world are dying due to starvation, don't have access to clean water, no health care, don't live in a democratic society and here we are complaining about noise. Cmon man. It is shameful that we are complaining about this.

Kudos to the Flemington Park / Thorncliffe Park folks for not causing as big of a stir as Leslieville (I wonder why). By having this line pass through your community you are doing a service to your fellow citizens. You should wear it as badge of honour that you are so lucky to help other citizens out. Past and Current Canadians have fought for our freedom, risked their lives and some even given their lives so you can be living peacefully in Canada. Take that in, Canadians have given their lives for you and you can't give up some noise to help your neighbours out?

I personally live on the elevated portion of the OL and I am proud to say that I support it and will tolerate the noise and disturbance so my fellow citizens can have a holistically better mode of transportation. To my colleagues on this blog there are some bad apples who are just selfish and only care about themselves and their well being and not the greater good of society. I apologize on their behalf but do know many of the folks living close to me also support this elevated portion and are very annoyed and ashamed of the actions to deter the construction of it due to some minor noise.

LETS GET SHOVELS IN THE GROUND AND GET THIS LINE BUILT

Back