Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I'm glad that ML has some sense to move the station closer to the ground than to bury them deep deep away from civilization. BY the time you get down to those deep tube stations, you might as well taken the streetcar, especially if it is a short trip.
Don't you want people taking streetcars for shorter trips, with the reduced capacity of these lines, and the relatively small streetcars?

Oh thank god they fixed the "Osgoode and Queen stations must both service City Hall because of the ego of City Council" plan that was the stupidest part of the Relief Line. Really like the improved alignments for both of them a lot more. Queen should actually be a reasonable transfer, and Osgoode always made more sense to me as a station that stretched out towards the shops on Queen West. Even if the rest of the planning around this line is a mess, that's a very welcome improvement.

Also I still wish they'd add a Cherry St station, Corktown to East Harbour is a decent gap, but I assume that's not happening since the tunnels are climbing to the surface in that section.
Where is the exact location of the portal in this area?

I'm glad that ML has some sense to move the station closer to the ground than to bury them deep deep away from civilization. BY the time you get down to those deep tube stations, you might as well taken the streetcar, especially if it is a short trip.

Fairly certain most would not trade it on a reliability (wait AND travel time) basis. Cost of deep stations aside, I think the impact of travel time within stations (particularly when it is assisted) on ridership is overstated (obviously there are exceptions when you get to the extremes - e.g. YUS-BD interchange at Spadina)

AoD

Last edited:
Also I still wish they'd add a Cherry St station, Corktown to East Harbour is a decent gap, but I assume that's not happening since the tunnels are climbing to the surface in that section.

Almost everyone leaving the Distillery is drunk, im sure no one will notice that the station is on a 20 degree angle...

Where is the exact location of the portal in this area?
South of Corktown Common. It's part highlighted with green lines on the map below.
1600971623772.png

Source

I guess they might end up using the usual twin boring machines to be able to split like that? The site mentions extracting the boring machines here. I imagine at the parking lot next door? or will they shut down the GO yard for construction?

an apparent conflict between the tunnel portal approaching the Don River and the R-H line.

Yeah I'm keen to see vertical alignments for that area. They more or less have the portal for the w/b track right where the RH line joins USRC. Also the e/b track's portal within the rail corridor or Don Yard.

I guess they might end up using the usual twin boring machines to be able to split like that? The site mentions extracting the boring machines here. I imagine at the parking lot next door? or will they shut down the GO yard for construction?

Not sure that the needs of the eastern portal would influence the overall decision too much. They could still do single-bore but mine the second eastern portal separately.

Yeah I think we should be fighting for a stop at Cherry. There will be a big gap between Corktown and the next stop. The west side has denser station placement.

Yeah I'm keen to see vertical alignments for that area. They more or less have the portal for the w/b track right where the RH line joins USRC. Also the e/b track's portal within the rail corridor or Don Yard.

There's also the Don multiuse trail that dips under the bridge and hugs the river. Will be interesting to see how the clearances work for that.

RFQ, RFP, and financial close for the Ontario Line have been pushed back.

1601057331119.png

If the first 2 sections get awarded before the election, it becomes less likely that whichever goverment wins 2022 to cancel the project. Neither the liberals nor the NDP are likely to cancel a huge project with financial panelties.

Just occurred to me that the "Early works" component Metrolinx & IO have been talking about could mean that some of the necessary work will be finished and/or on its way long before mid-2024. If they are planning to build the bridges in Leslieville, over the Don River etc. before then, that may still make a 2028/2029 completion date attainable.

Back