Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

CFD2E3A9-CEE3-45D8-85F1-481F89B8AFD7.jpeg

181D400E-9960-4F3F-A7DB-C96EE9B0B14F.jpeg

5C40E110-4AB6-4A9D-AA7B-F893E83AF665.jpeg

58232A87-9F0A-4078-975C-AC5A15449548.jpeg

F216B367-F7F7-4DFA-83D3-31771743B7A7_1_201_a.jpeg

The only green glass I see is on the podium, and though a lousy choice, exactly what the renders promised. I see the building as clad in a sorta metallic blue in most shots, though sometimes it does take on an aqua leaning to emerald hue (but not the traditional "green" whine much-celebrated for decades).

To my eye, the tower glass doesn't seem vastly different from the much-praised CIBC Square glass. Both blue and reflective, with a greener tint when the sun hits it at certain angles. (Though CIBC's diamonds are definitely a lot more successful than the pasted-on cross-bracing here.)

From my perspective, it's just okay so far. On its own, the tower does look pretty good despite the glass and the ornamental cross-bracing. However, when you add in the podium, which is the same slightly greenish glass, it becomes unrelenting and just too much to bear. This project *really* needed the podium to contrast with the tower more to avoid the perception of it being a big blob of acceptable if unimpressive glass. It is a great shame that the orange fins on the podium floors did not make it to fruition, I think they would've provided the necessary contrast.

I am hoping the classical-inspired podiums of the two westerly towers will balance out the monotony seen so far.

The cross-bracing motif reminds me of the Kinex set I had as a kid. It's fun, but with pretty limited structural utility.

It has none - the brace is fake and is there purely as adornment (faux-Structural Expressionist).

The podium is the truly unfortunate part here - a vast expanse of mediocre glass that is such Cheapening.

AoD

From my perspective, it's just okay so far. On it's own, the tower does look pretty good despite the glass and the ornamental cross-bracing. However, when you add in the podium, which is the same slightly greenish glass, it becomes unrelenting and just too much to bear. This project *really* needed the podium to contrast with the tower more to avoid the perception of it being a big blob of acceptable if unimpressive glass. It is a great shame that the orange fins on the podium floors did not make it to fruition, I think they would've provided the necessary contrast.

I am hoping the classical-inspired podiums of the two westerly towers will balance out the monotony seen so far.
Those red fins on the podium are still coming I think
It's on the 2nd level of the podium which is just bare concrete now and they'll probably finish last as there's tons of construction equipment and people on the ground floor

Those red fins on the podium are still coming I think
It's on the 2nd level of the podium which is just bare concrete now and they'll probably finish last as there's tons of construction equipment and people on the ground floor
I was talking about the fins from earlier renderings which had them going all the way up the curtain wall podium. The fins on the second floor are a consolation prize for the grade level but I don't think they'll have an impact on improving the contrast between the podium and the tower.

9439-42708.jpeg

(render from the database)

Back