News   May 02, 2024
 727     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 213     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 286     0 

VIA Rail

Regarding this post:
Outside of the Corridor, Via is irrelevant. If outside the Corridor, nothing is improved, then we will never have a decent system.
A train that should take 3.5 days should not be late by a 1/2 day!
A train should run at least once a day, every day, at the same time. Otherwise, it is useless for most people.
In case anyone feels motivated to respond to this post, I would strongly suggest to open a separate thread about restoring daily passenger service in Western Canada, as this ever-circling discussion with the same poster has already monopolized the “Via Rail” thread on SSP (where he posts as “swimmer_spe”) over more than 1700 posts and has virtually drowned any attempts to discuss other aspects of the topic to which that thread is supposedly dedicated (he created that thread, apparently without any intent of allowing discussions there to deviate away from his one single sub-topic of interest)...

Last edited:
At the risk of beating the same old drum.....

Subsequent to our discussion about Sharbot Lake and HFR, an unnamed source sent me a very old document that gave very exact detail about the curves on the Havelock Sub east of Havelock. (I would stress that this source is not related to either VIA or CP, and there was no breach of any organization's confidentiality in giving it to me. The document is roughly 100 years old, but happily the track hasn't moved since the data was recorded, so it's still valid today.)

Anyways, based on this "actual" data, I was able to do some amateur calculation of likely track speeds, predicting a) how fast a train could go on the curves as they existed before the track was torn up and b) how fast a train might go on a rebuilt line.

First, here's the summary of what I found in the document :

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 9.22.48 AM.png

Translation: There are 86 segments where the as-exists curvature exceeds 1.5 degrees. At that curvature, a "typical" train would have to reduce speed to negotiate the curve. My assumed "typical" train is the equivalent of an LRC with tilting deactivated - ie, assumed track superelevation (banking) of 3 inches, and equipment with a "cant deficiency" rating of 3 inches. (I pulled the LRC specs from memory, and may not be accurate, but it's just a straw man anyways) The speeds shown under the "FRA 3 inch" collumn are the speed allowed by the US Federal Railroad Administration for that track profile. (Note that the length of the curve does not affect the restriction - although a longer curve will require holding that train to the restricted speed for a greater distance).

So, under this baseline, in the 94 miles from Havelock to Glen Tay, a "typical" train would have to navigate 3.8 miles at 47 mph, 10.6 miles at 53 mph, and 12.9 miles at 65 mph.

Of the remaining track, trains could run 42.9 miles at 95 mph+. Because of all the slow segments, there are about 23.7 miles of track that is straight, but is adjacent to the slow bits, so trains would have to be accelerating/decelerating through these segments. These segments while straight consequently must be considered "restricted" by all the slowing down and speeding up.

The question is, what can VIA do to improve on this? One solution would be to increase the banking of the curves and/or use a tilting train that can handle curves faster. The collumn "FRA 6 inch" shows the speed restrictions that would translate to "LRC train with banking operating as designed" - ie 3 inch superelevation, 6 inch cant deficiency. As you can see, if VIA either found a tilting train, and/or banked the curves more, speeds through all those tight curves would rise.

The other alternative for VIA is to physically straighten some of the curves. It would take some pretty hefty engineering expertise to model that, but one can see that with the sheer number of restrictions, correcting a small number of curves would not produce any meaningful straightaways, and the time gained by fixing any one restriction is a matter of seconds. One would have to build a fairly long stretch of new track to gain a better end to end timing.

So, what does this mean for end to end time? I took @reaperexpress's chart, and did some of my own calculations. As a baseline, I assumed that VIA would not upgrade the existing line east of Smiths Falls, so current timetable timings would remain unchanged. I assumed that the section following the CP Belleville Sub through Perth would be good track, but with a speed restriction through town (old timetables tell me that CP imposed a 50 mph restriction on passenger trains through Perth). I did a Google Map arbitrary assessment of curves and speeds west of Havelock, using data from another old CP timetable which restricted RDC equipment to 60 mph on certain curves - meaning these were all likely in the 2 degree range.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 9.21.18 AM.png

The bottom line? By my data, the "uncorrected" best time I could model, excluding time lost in meets, station stops, and contingency, was 3 hours 55 minutes. That doesn't sound all that appealing. However - using my "LRC with Tilting" scenario for only the Havelock-Perth segment, the time improved significantly to 3 hours 35 minutes. I have shown my data against @reaperexpress 's estimate, and also against the best timetable time I could find from CP days. (The latter probably assumed 75 mph top speed, where I assumed HFR would achieve 95-110 mph speeds on tangent, but I was fairly conservative around the accel/decel issues). If one assumes, as @reaperexpress did, that more speed can be squeezed out of the segments east of Perth and west of Havelock, things look much better.

There are so many assumptions and unknowns that one could poke huge holes in this data, and I'm not claiming any expert knowledge. But with some declaring that "tilting is the magic solution" and others arguing for straightened tracks, I though this at least put some perspective and bounds around what reality might be.....please, Ottawa, tell us the straight facts.

Food for discussion, and by all means rip it to shreds.

- Paul

Last edited:
^ In thinking about the travel time with HFR vs the current service, the one number VIA should promote a lot is the consistency/reliability number/percentage. As in y% of trips right now are on-time, but with more dedicated tracks and control with HFR, x% of trips will be on time. Sure, the travel time might be similar or might not save that much time compared to the current service, but the consistency/reliability number is a strong argument. With wifi (which could be improved of course) and the ability to work or receive entertainment while on the train, I think it helps to pass the time. Plus, beats the stress of driving or checking in at an airport.

Last edited:

Subsequent to our discussion about Sharbot Lake and HFR, an unnamed source sent me a very old document that gave very exact detail about the curves on the Havelock Sub east of Havelock. (I would stress that this source is not related to either VIA or CP, and there was no breach of any organization's confidentiality in giving it to me. The document is roughly 100 years old, but happily the track hasn't moved since the data was recorded, so it's still valid today.)

Anyways, based on this "actual" data, I was able to do some amateur calculation of likely track speeds, predicting a) how fast a train could go on the curves as they existed before the track was torn up and b) how fast a train might go on a rebuilt line.

View attachment 268257

Translation: There are 86 segments where the as-exists curvature exceeds 1.5 degrees. At that curvature, a "typical" train would have to reduce speed to negotiate the curve. My assumed "typical" train is the equivalent of an LRC with tilting deactivated - ie, assumed track superelevation (banking) of 3 inches, and equipment with a "cant deficiency" rating of 3 inches. (I pulled those specs from memory, and may not be correct, but it's just a straw man anyways) The speeds shown under the "FRA 3 inch" collumn are the speed allowed by the US Federal Railroad Administration for that track profile. (Note that the length of the curve does not affect the restriction - although a longer curve will require holding that train to the restricted speed for a greater distance).

So, under this baseline, in the 94 miles from Havelock to Glen Tay, a "typical" train would have to navigate 3.8 miles at 47 mph, 10.6 miles at 53 mph, and 12.9 miles at 65 mph.

Of the remaining track, trains could run 42.9 miles at 95 mph+. Because of all the slow segments, there are about 23.7 miles of track that is straight, but is adjacent to the slow bits, so trains would have to be accelerating/decelerating through these segments. These segments while straight consequently must be considered "restricted" by all the slowing down and speeding up.

The question is, what can VIA do to improve on this? One solution would be to increase the banking of the curves and/or use a tilting train that can handle curves faster. The collumn "FRA 6 inch" shows the speed restrictions that would translate to "LRC train with banking operating as designed" - ie 3 inch superelevation, 6 inch cant deficiency. As you can see, if VIA either found a tilting train, and/or banked the curves more, speeds through all those tight curves would rise.

The other alternative for VIA is to physically straighten some of the curves. It would take some pretty hefty engineering expertise to model that, but one can see that with the sheer number of restrictions, correcting a small number of curves would not produce any meaningful straightaways, and the time gained by fixing any one restriction is a matter of seconds. One would have to build a fairly long stretch of new track to gain a better end to end timing.

So, what does this mean for end to end time? I took @reaperexpress's chart, and did some of my own calculations. As a baseline, I assumed that VIA would not upgrade the existing line east of Smiths Falls, so current timetable timings would remain unchanged. I assumed that the section following the CP Belleville Sub through Perth would be good track, but with a speed restriction through town (old timetables tell me that CP imposed a 50 mph restriction on passenger trains through Perth). I did a Google Map arbitrary assessment of curves and speeds west of Havelock, using data from another old CP timetable which restricted RDC equipment to 60 mph on certain curves - meaning these were all likely in the 2 degree range.

View attachment 268258

The bottom line? By my data, the "uncorrected" best time I could model, excluding time lost in meets, station stops, and contingency, was 3 hours 55 minutes. That doesn't sound all that appealing. However - using my "LRC with Tilting" scenario for only the Havelock-Perth segment, the time improved significantly to 3 hours 35 minutes. I have shown my data against @reaperexpress 's estimate, and also against the best timetable time I could find from CP days. (The latter probably assumed 75 mph top speed, where I assumed HFR would achieve 95-110 mph speeds on tangent, but I was fairly conservative around the accel/decel issues). If one assumes, as @reaperexpress did, that more speed can be squeezed out of the segments east of Perth and west of Havelock, things look much better.

There are so many assumptions and unknowns that one could poke huge holes in this data, and I'm not claiming any expert knowledge. But with some declaring that "tilting is the magic solution" and others arguing for straightened tracks, I though this at least put some perspective and bounds around what reality might be.....please, Ottawa, tell us the straight facts.

- Paul

Well done sir. Certainly no engineer or railway professional but certainly food for thought. I assume acceleration/deceleration rates for passenger service are already considered by operators, both from the standpoint of passenger comfort and operating costs. I would think the impact of meets and station approaches, once factored in, would be significant - the best laid schedule wavers in the face of external factors. One thing that doesn't appear to be mentioned is the impact of grades, but given my limited knowledge of the area, I get the sense that elevation is not a huge factor (i.e. it's pretty flat). As well, where the current alignment passes through existing settlement areas, speed restrictions would exist regardless of curvature (perhaps that has been factored in).

^The grade data was interesting. The line is very hilly, but nothing lengthy or over 1%. There are many "momentum grades", ie speed up coming downhill before going up the other side. Must have been a challenge "in the day". For modern passenger trains I can't see gradient as an obstacle. The potential fuel bill from all that accel/decel, however, certainly argues for electrification with regenerative braking.

I assumed speed restrictions in the settled areas. As it happens these tended to be curvy segments anyways so little room to try and speed up.

- Paul

Last edited:

View attachment 268257

Translation: There are 86 segments where the as-exists curvature exceeds 1.5 degrees. At that curvature, a "typical" train would have to reduce speed to negotiate the curve. My assumed "typical" train is the equivalent of an LRC with tilting deactivated - ie, assumed track superelevation (banking) of 3 inches, and equipment with a "cant deficiency" rating of 3 inches. (I pulled the LRC specs from memory, and may not be accurate, but it's just a straw man anyways) The speeds shown under the "FRA 3 inch" collumn are the speed allowed by the US Federal Railroad Administration for that track profile. (Note that the length of the curve does not affect the restriction - although a longer curve will require holding that train to the restricted speed for a greater distance).

View attachment 268258

- Paul

Excellent stuff.

I really would see grade banking as an option over straightening. I just see the cost of straightening to be prohibitive. Theres a reason they didnt have the track go straight in the first place, there is a lot of water and Canadian shield through this route. Even though engineering has improved, so has the cost of projects risen.

You wrote in one part "tilting and/or curve banking" but I am wondering if that really is an "and" situation. As in, if a curve is banked, would tilting really do anything more? im not sure that is a 1+1 = 2 scenario.

^ In thinking about the travel time with HFR vs the current service, the one number VIA should promote a lot is the consistency/reliability number/percentage. As in y% of trips right now are on-time, but with more dedicated tracks and control with HFR, x% of trips will be on time. Sure, the travel time might be similar or might not save that much time compared to the current service, but the consistency/reliability number is a strong argument. With wifi (which could be improved of course) and the ability to work or receive entertainment while on the train, I think it helps to pass the time. Plus, beats the stress of driving or checking in at an airport.

Sure. But I'm not confident that the business case can be closed if they don't offer some time savings to drive an increase in market share. Reliability alone probably isn't enough. They'd also get torn to shreds politically if they spend billions and don't save any time at all.

Sure. But I'm not confident that the business case can be closed if they don't offer some time savings to drive an increase in market share. Reliability alone probably isn't enough. They'd also get torn to shreds politically if they spend billions and don't save any time at all.

Not to mention the media fire storm that'd follow the moment an HFR RFP document/project plan leaks out, imagine the headline on the Star or the Globe slamming VIA (and the federal government by extension) for saving "only" 5 min or 10 min... Whatever time savings will have to be substantial, at least on paper, in order to pass public optics.

There will be solid time savings on the Toronto-Ottawa leg. But I think they'll face some serious backlash if Toronto-Montreal ends up over 5 hrs. I'd argue it's a hard sell over 4.5 hrs.

There will be solid time savings on the Toronto-Ottawa leg. But I think they'll face some serious backlash if Toronto-Montreal ends up over 5 hrs. I'd argue it's a hard sell over 4.5 hrs.

I agree - it's a hard sell politically to suggest investing billions just to stand still.

At the same time, if one could produce data showing that ridership would double, at a consistently low fare, and without subsidy - there might still be a valid pitch. A "train every hour, no need to reserve, just show up" type service might just assure that.

But an important slice of the market would be passed over. That last billion dollars to improve the speed is crucial. I sure hope the business case captures how a faster timing would advance the project's value proposition.

- Paul

You wrote in one part "tilting and/or curve banking" but I am wondering if that really is an "and" situation. As in, if a curve is banked, would tilting really do anything more? im not sure that is a 1+1 = 2 scenario.

As I can understand "cant deficiency", it is expressed as inches of superelevation to make tilting and banking equivalent. So in theory, 5 inches of cant deficiency on 4 inches of superelevation or 6 inches of cant deficiency on 3 inches of superelevation results in the same speed constraint. The result is that one selects equipment and banks the track to attain a desired end state.

I am adamantly opposed to preselecting a particular railcar technology "because it tilts". One has to let the engineers make the appropriate tradeoffs.

Three inches of superelevation is all that today's freight railroads will accept, because today's heavier freight trains don't like banked track. In days gone by, tracks had more bank because the higher center of gravity of steam engines and passenger trains played nicer with more superelevation. In theory, a dedicated passenger line might be able to have more superelevation than a line with heavy freight traffic. So maybe HFR can leverage that. However, as the LRC locomotive demonstrated, the equipment has to be able to manage the banking without wear on the track.... and there is a limit to how much banking passenger comfort will allow.

- Paul

As I can understand "cant deficiency", it is expressed as inches of superelevation to make tilting and banking equivalent. So in theory, 5 inches of cant deficiency on 4 inches of superelevation or 6 inches of cant deficiency on 3 inches of superelevation results in the same speed constraint. The result is that one selects equipment and banks the track to attain a desired end state.

I am adamantly opposed to preselecting a particular railcar technology "because it tilts". One has to let the engineers make the appropriate tradeoffs.

Three inches of superelevation is all that today's freight railroads will accept, because today's heavier freight trains don't like banked track. In days gone by, tracks had more bank because the higher center of gravity of steam engines and passenger trains played nicer with more superelevation. In theory, a dedicated passenger line might be able to have more superelevation than a line with heavy freight traffic. So maybe HFR can leverage that. However, as the LRC locomotive demonstrated, the equipment has to be able to manage the banking without wear on the track.... and there is a limit to how much banking passenger comfort will allow.

Do you (or anyone else) know what the superelevation is like on the lines that VIA rebuilt for themselves? Riding the VIA Alexandria sub between Ottawa and Montréal I got the impression that the line was more aggressively superelevated than the CN Kingston sub for example. Could be I was just noticing it more due to the sharper curves on the Alexandria sub - especially given that CN still operates on the line.

Back