News   Mar 28, 2024
 263     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 246     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 287     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I rode the new bike lanes on the Danforth yesterday. What a difference it makes having the bike lane next to the curb, instead of sandwiched between traffic and parked cars. Riding one way down Cosburn and the other way on Danforth is like night and day. Even though Danforth is a much busier street it feels a lot safer and less stressful to ride there. Even the unprotected bike lanes further west on Bloor are nicer to ride in - because the parking is left of the bike lane cars rarely block cyclists despite the lack of physical protection. All the door zone bike lanes in the city should be reconfigured to be like that. It's just a simple matter of paint.

I rode the new bike lanes on the Danforth yesterday. What a difference it makes having the bike lane next to the curb, instead of sandwiched between traffic and parked cars. Riding one way down Cosburn and the other way on Danforth is like night and day. Even though Danforth is a much busier street it feels a lot safer and less stressful to ride there. Even the unprotected bike lanes further west on Bloor are nicer to ride in - because the parking is left of the bike lane cars rarely block cyclists despite the lack of physical protection. All the door zone bike lanes in the city should be reconfigured to be like that. It's just a simple matter of paint.

Would be better if they move the sewer grates to where the cars park and not on the bicycle lane itself. (Potholes.)

Would be better if they move the sewer grates to where the cars park and not on the bicycle lane itself. (Potholes.)
You really do post the same thing again and again don't you? 🤣

What you describe requires major reconstruction of the road and underlying services. And when it comes time to rebuild the road, I absolutely agree with you. But those opportunities don't come along every day. I'm talking about what can be done right now, cheaply and easily.

It is possible to do some lower cost retrofits into curb grates but still have significant cost and not result in perfect road surface.

You really do post the same thing again and again don't you? 🤣

What you describe requires major reconstruction of the road and underlying services. And when it comes time to rebuild the road, I absolutely agree with you. But those opportunities don't come along every day. I'm talking about what can be done right now, cheaply and easily.

Has to be repeated for the newcomers and those with memory lapses. Why are my car keys in the refrigerator freezer?

Last edited:

The Roncesvalles bridge was the replacement of the Lake Shore Bridge in the 1950's when the Gardiner Expressway destroyed the Sunnyside Amusement Park.Think that painting the bridge is only a short-term project. Needs to be improved with better bicycle access.

Sunnyside_Plan_1914.jpg

From link.

There is currently a lowest bidder cycling path along Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke. Maybe along with the underground light-rail Eglinton West extension, we should upgrade the cycling path to include underpasses when they build the light rail. When they build the cut-and-cover stations, they could put in the cycling underpasses at the same time as they do the stations.

84367_0_500x200.png

From link.

The cycling path could be extended from the current form from Jane Street to East Mall to Weston Road all the way to Renforth Drive.

Last edited:
How about starting a bicycle "highway" along Highway 27, beginning alongside the Finch West LRT from Finch Avenue West to Humber College Blvd.?

Maybe extend the bicycle "highway" all the way down next to (but separated and protected) Highway 27 down to Eglinton Avenue West. It could join up with an Eglinton Avenue West bicycle "highway" that would be next to the Eglinton West LRT over to Black Creek Drive in the east and Mississauga's "bicycle highway" in the west.

There is currently a lowest bidder cycling path along Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke. Maybe along with the underground light-rail Eglinton West extension, we should upgrade the cycling path to include underpasses when they build the light rail. When they build the cut-and-cover stations, they could put in the cycling underpasses at the same time as they do the stations.

84367_0_500x200.png

From link.

The cycling path could be extended from the current form from Jane Street to East Mall to Weston Road all the way to Renforth Drive.

I suppose my standards are pretty low for decent cycling paths in Toronto but I actually think that path is pretty fantastic and go out of my way to use it (I'm a beginner). Completely separated from traffic and peds. I would be thrilled if it continued east and westward in future!

I suppose my standards are pretty low for decent cycling paths in Toronto but I actually think that path is pretty fantastic and go out of my way to use it (I'm a beginner). Completely separated from traffic and peds. I would be thrilled if it continued east and westward in future!

They stopping the city from building the Richview Expressway for single-occupant automoibles, so let's put in a proper cycling highway. And it would be cheaper.
16161ca6a3755a8a50ab809066fb669b

From link.

84367_0_500x200.png

From link.

they did extend it lol. Like 2 years ago. It goes to Spectrum.

1599348344823.png

How about starting a bicycle "highway" along Highway 27, beginning alongside the Finch West LRT from Finch Avenue West to Humber College Blvd.?

Maybe extend the bicycle "highway" all the way down next to (but separated and protected) Highway 27 down to Eglinton Avenue West. It could join up with an Eglinton Avenue West bicycle "highway" that would be next to the Eglinton West LRT over to Black Creek Drive in the east and Mississauga's "bicycle highway" in the west.

This guy is such a european fetishist I cant watch his videos. Hes like guys who love Japanese culture.

I share his videos with my dutch relatives and we laugh at them, everything he points out is like a single example of a specific area that has one or two of these things, and claims its the "norm" in the Nederlands, and its absolutely not.

This guy is such a european fetishist I cant watch his videos. Hes like guys who love Japanese culture.

I share his videos with my dutch relatives and we laugh at them, everything he points out is like a single example of a specific area that has one or two of these things, and claims its the "norm" in the Nederlands, and its absolutely not.

Make Eglinton West in Etobicoke Toronto's "single" example.

Back