News   Apr 19, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 555     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 929     3 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

I'd be inclined to maintain 8 as a through route from Dundas to Goderich, with 408 applied as appropriate, with the Kitchener - Guelph and any southern extensions numbered as 406 with a new number applied to the 406 in Niagara if one didn't want to cosign sections of the QEW.
It hasn't been applied to that route since last century, with the missing piece through Cambridge, and not running south of Dundas Street. Nor does either make much sense, with better roads down 5/6 in Hamilton, and up the old 24 and 401 in Cambridge. But if they ever uncancel expressway around the western side of Cambridge, then I suppose that could be 8 or 408 as well.

Personally, I think the Conestoga should be a single route number for it's entire length. The current arrangement where it starts out as Regional Road 85, then turns into Ontario Highway 85, Ontariio Highway 7, and finally Ontario Highway 7/8 is unnecessary.It's as bad as the 7, 7/115, 115, 35/115 mess. (or even the 7, 7A itself from Peterborough to the GTA ... does anyone in Peterborough ever actually follow the 7 alignment southwest of Peterborough to get to Lindsay, or follow 7 or 7A through Port Perry to get to old Highway 7 through Brooklin (or the 407).

It hasn't been applied to that route since last century, with the missing piece through Cambridge, and not running south of Dundas Street. Nor does either make much sense, with better roads down 5/6 in Hamilton, and up the old 24 and 401 in Cambridge. But if they ever uncancel expressway around the western side of Cambridge, then I suppose that could be 8 or 408 as well.

Personally, I think the Conestoga should be a single route number for it's entire length. The current arrangement where it starts out as Regional Road 85, then turns into Ontario Highway 85, Ontariio Highway 7, and finally Ontario Highway 7/8 is unnecessary.It's as bad as the 7, 7/115, 115, 35/115 mess. (or even the 7, 7A itself from Peterborough to the GTA ... does anyone in Peterborough ever actually follow the 7 alignment southwest of Peterborough to get to Lindsay, or follow 7 or 7A through Port Perry to get to old Highway 7 through Brooklin (or the 407).
That looks good on the map but I think they should extend the Hwy 85 to the 401. That way, you can just tell something heading into Waterloo or St Jacobs to follow the 85 from the 401 instead of say follow 8 north, 7 east and finally 85. I don't think people actually follow hwy 7 or 8 anymore. Maybe renumber it into separate highways.

The other problem I have with a single number for the Conestoga is that I doubt it makes any sense as a 400 series north of the interchange with the Kitchener/Guelph highway. Numbering the through route as a 400 reflecting the longer distance corridors and retaining the Conestoga name for the municipal portions and local through route seems like the best mix to me.

Last edited:
That looks good on the map but I think they should extend the Hwy 85 to the 401. That way, you can just tell something heading into Waterloo or St Jacobs to follow the 85 from the 401 instead of say follow 8 north, 7 east and finally 85. I don't think people actually follow hwy 7 or 8 anymore. Maybe renumber it into separate highways.

The other problem I have with a single number for the Conestoga is that I doubt it makes any sense as a 400 series north of the interchange with the Kitchener/Guelph highway. Numbering the through route as a 400 reflecting the longer distance corridors and retaining the Conestoga name for the municipal portions and local through route seems like the best mix to me.

Agreed. One number for the N-S highway, and another for the E-W highway (including the new Hwy 7 to Guelph).

Agreed. One number for the N-S highway, and another for the E-W highway (including the new Hwy 7 to Guelph).
While that would be an improvement, it still results in highway numbering changing through an intersection for those staying on one road. And still results in the number changing twice (or thrice) from those driving from a short distance from St. Jacobs to Courtland.

The most sensible simplest numbering to me is one number from the interchange of Hwy 8 and 401 to St. Jacob's, and basically the current Hwy 7 remaining the same. That leaves just one short section where they would be concurrent (between the current interchange of Hwy 8 and the Conestoga Pkwy and Victoria St./a future Hwy 7 interchange. Hwy 8 could simply restart in Stratford. If MTO doesn't like that, they can renumber the section south of Cambridge to either 5, or 88 or something.

While that would be an improvement, it still results in highway numbering changing through an intersection for those staying on one road. And still results in the number changing twice (or thrice) from those driving from a short distance from St. Jacobs to Courtland.

The most sensible simplest numbering to me is one number from the interchange of Hwy 8 and 401 to St. Jacob's, and basically the current Hwy 7 remaining the same. That leaves just one short section where they would be concurrent (between the current interchange of Hwy 8 and the Conestoga Pkwy and Victoria St./a future Hwy 7 interchange. Hwy 8 could simply restart in Stratford. If MTO doesn't like that, they can renumber the section south of Cambridge to either 5, or 88 or something.

Yes, that is what I was suggesting. There would be a short concurrency between the N-S and the E-W route, but besides that I think it's pretty straight forward.

As for the same road changing names along its route, the Queensway in Ottawa is from Kanata to Orleans, and has both the 417 and Ottawa Rd 174 designation. The 417 part peels off at the split. In Montreal, there's a bunch of examples of freeways having designations come and go along their routes.

Yes, that is what I was suggesting. There would be a short concurrency between the N-S and the E-W route, but besides that I think it's pretty straight forward.

As for the same road changing names along its route, the Queensway in Ottawa is from Kanata to Orleans, and has both the 417 and Ottawa Rd 174 designation. The 417 part peels off at the split. In Montreal, there's a bunch of examples of freeways having designations come and go along their routes.
Don't forget that in Longueuil, Autoroute 20 has at-grade intersections.

They can do concurrency on three segments.

8 - from 401 to Conestoga (west)
85 - from 401 to Waterloo
7 - Victoria St. to Conestoga (west)

It's not confusing if you are just following numbers.

Approaching the 7 / 8 interchange from three directions:

7 / 8 WEST Stratford || 8 EAST / 85 SOUTH to 401
7 / 8 WEST Stratford || 7 EAST Guelph | To 85 NORTH Waterloo
7 EAST Guelph | To 85 NORTH Waterloo || 8 EAST / 85 SOUTH to 401

Pretty much all the land it would run through is not in the Greenbelt, so say good bay to some beautiful countryside, and hello to more non-descript subdivisions. I'm sure all those land developers that fund the OPC and Ontario Proud are absolutely giddy.

(That said, as someone who works near Winston Churchill and the 401, and regularly visits family in Orillia on the weekend, this highway would be very convenient.)

Pretty much all the land it would run through is not in the Greenbelt, so say good bay to some beautiful countryside, and hello to more non-descript subdivisions. I'm sure all those land developers that fund the OPC and Ontario Proud are absolutely giddy.

(That said, as someone who works near Winston Churchill and the 401, and regularly visits family in Orillia on the weekend, this highway would be very convenient.)

So are you saying you oppose immigration?

Where do you propose the hundreds of thousands of people we allow into our country every year go and live?

Back