Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

1596973953505.png

From the WT newsletter:

First of four new bridges coming this fall

1597170309296.png

Creating a new island in the Port Lands means we need new bridges to connect downtown Toronto to Villiers Island. There will be two bridges on Cherry Street over the Keating Channel (one for pedestrians, bikes and cars, and a separate dedicated transit bridge), a bridge further south over the new river, plus an east-west crossing where Commissioners Street traverses the new river at Don Roadway.

The bridges are being assembled in Halifax and will be shipped to the Port Lands via the St. Lawrence Seaway. The bridges will be barged from Halifax in one piece and placed over the Keating Channel with a crane.

Read more about how we designed the bridges here.

1597170345827.png

Digging the new Don River in the Port Lands
We are halfway through excavation in the first section of the new river valley. The Rocky Radar map shows where we're currently working just east of Cherry Street. The finished areas are about six metres deep. So far, we've removed more than 130,420 cubic metres of material – that's enough to fill more than 52 Olympic swimming pools!

Rocky @TheRockRipper updates #RockyRadar regularly. Follow him on Twitter to see how excavation is progressing.

Why is only the north side of Polson being re-naturalized? Makes it look very weird. Renders were showing both sides being done...

Maybe the render will be updated later? I was super puzzled looking at the early Rocky updates as to why (given all the naturalization) Polson Slip was still a straightaway.

The goal is to eventually renaturalize the south side as well - I think the site is privately owned by LaFarge and the Docks, and both had issues with doing it at this stage I believe (particularly LaFarge).

When filled with lake water, that will have a nasty drop at the shoreline if someone decides to take a swim.

That won't happen - this is a barrier wall, not a dockwall where the transition to water is abrupt - the constructed river valley will extend further into the excavated area. See https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...ment-m-s-waterfront-toronto.3363/post-1215233

1597510715185.png

AoD

Last edited:
Those photos are great...

...and the size and scope of this project. 😲

The goal is to eventually renaturalize the south side as well - I think the site is privately owned by LaFarge and the Docks, and both had issues with doing it at this stage I believe (particularly LaFarge).

That won't happen - this is a barrier wall, not a dockwall where the transition to water is abrupt - the constructed river valley will extend further into the excavated area. See https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...ment-m-s-waterfront-toronto.3363/post-1215233

View attachment 263406

AoD
Everyone will be dead and long gone before any changes happen on the south side. LaFarge has no plans in closing its sites down or moving as it needs the current land to support building of Toronto. This been stated a fair number of times for various projects I have work on for this area. The ship turning area and channel are to remain just that, but part south of the new river will happen in our time where it can.

Everyone will be dead and long gone before any changes happen on the south side. LaFarge has no plans in closing its sites down or moving as it needs the current land to support building of Toronto. This been stated a fair number of times for various projects I have work on for this area. The ship turning area and channel are to remain just that, but part south of the new river will happen in our time where it can.

As I've said before, the government should expropriate the LaFarge property for refusing to negotiate in good faith and choosing to be an obstacle to this critical city-building initiative.

Buy them one of these (but bigger). Maybe park it in front of Daniels Waterfront (2 birds..).

Screenshot_2020-08-16 FLOATING CONCRETE PLANT.jpg

Float

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-16 FLOATING CONCRETE PLANT.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-16 FLOATING CONCRETE PLANT.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
As I've said before, the government should expropriate the LaFarge property for refusing to negotiate in good faith and choosing to be an obstacle to this critical city-building initiative.
I too would prefer them to move to the "Cement Campus" at east end of the Ship Channel but they will go (somewhere) in time. Best we concentrate on the work and the park north of the Ship Channel until THAT gets done. Even if someone expropriated Lafarge there are not likely to be $$ to actually DO anything with it and the other privately-owned land adjacent.

Last edited:

Back