Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

H0mZBPd.jpg

hEV4Qkf.jpg

Hadn't checked in on this for a while. To be blunt, so far, it looks as incoherent as I feared from the renders to be honest. The stuck on 'cross bracing' is surreal and the metal clad stair core, strange bulges and changes in glass... it just doesn't seem to know what building it wants to be.

Well I for one happen to love every bit of its "incoherentness". Well that is, except for the bland and cheap podium glass.

At least it's attempting to be different from the usual sterile glass tower office builds that have been happening in this city for the past 10+ years. IMO, I love the metal clad stair case, and while the cross-bracing is not amazing, it adds an nice element to the tower. The silver side paneling also helps makes this tower stand out very well.

The glazed elevator shaft is now getting the cross-bracing treatment ...... boo-urns 👎

What gets me is that they couldn't hide that central piece of cladding using the same glass as the rest of the project- now we have this big piece of aluminium that draws your eye to the centre and just makes sure you know the cross-bracing is fake.

You have to wonder if it would actually cost less and look better with a real (but non-functional) cross-bracing instead.

AoD

Saturday, July 25 - Three cranes were working at The Well, the two on the office tower and the north west corner residential tower crane. Two of the cranes finished up in the mid-day timeframe, while the north crane on the office tower continued to work until 7 PM last night - approximately a twelve hour day.

Sunday, July 26 - the office tower north crane is working again this morning.

20200726_104637.jpg

Sunday - July 26 - Update.

The north crane on the office tower finally finished up working at 8:10 this evening - a 13 hour or so day. Everything was proceeding normally until between 5:30 and 6 PM, when the crane appeared to be stuck in a stationary position, with the boom pointing towards the south portion of the building, in an almost horizontal position. Around 7 PM, a couple of workers could be seen at the mechanical equipment section of the crane, in front of the counterweights. By 7:10 the crane was working again, and continued to be active until it shut down at 8:10.

Walked along Wellington Street towards Spadina to try and see what may have been causing the problem, but it was resolved and the crane was operating again before getting close enough to see much,.

One thing that was noticed, not aware of previously, was that the office tower north crane is now going up outside the building, sitting on top of the roof slab where the setback is on the east side, and has the side bracing holding it in place - similar to the cranes at the L Tower and CIBC Square.

Three photos - the first is from around 6:30 PM, showing the crane in the position where it appeared to be stuck for about one and a half hours. The second two pictures show the base of the north crane, with the frame containing the jacks to lift the upper part for installation of the additional mast sections.

20200726_191519.jpg

20200726_194622.jpg

20200726_194617.jpg

I agree with you Capslock. It is looking incoherent. I’m hoping that the podia for the various buildings will somehow bring unity at street level even though their designs are disparate.

I agree with you Capslock. It is looking incoherent. I’m hoping that the podia for the various buildings will somehow bring unity at street level even though their designs are disparate.

Same. Give it time. I think the public realm at grade will be special, especially the very deep landscaping on Wellington.

Hadn't checked in on this for a while. To be blunt, so far, it looks as incoherent as I feared from the renders to be honest. The stuck on 'cross bracing' is surreal and the metal clad stair core, strange bulges and changes in glass... it just doesn't seem to know what building it wants to be.
Modern?

I'm more concerned about main the residential towers. As rendered they look like typical glass boxes with mismatched balconies that's juxtaposed to the more imaginative and organic podium. To make matters worse, I strongly suspect those will be move to the grey spamdrel cladding of disappointment which seems to show up on so many promising projects I've seen... /sigh

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about main the residential towers. As rendered they look like typical glass boxes with mismatched balconies that's juxtaposed to the more imaginative and organic podium. To make matters worse, I strongly suspect those will be move the grey spamdrel cladding of disappointment which seems to show up on so many promising projects I've seen... /sigh

According to the plans all of the towers are majority curtain wall (at least the north/south faces). The finishing on 10 York is probably a good comparison?

Back