News   Apr 18, 2024
 391     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 431     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

The City of Brampton staff report for a boulevard proposal for the GTA West is now online. A consultant also did a report on it. There is also an alternative proposed by a landowner for a boulevard and 400-series highway. The local chamber of commerce also weighed in. All documents extracted are here on Google Drive since the agenda package is massive (over 400 pages). The consultant report is also huge (103MB) so it's been broken up into sections.

The report will be discussed on July 27th. It was previously discussed at a workshop on June 22nd.

^ Tonight's Planning and Development Committee voted 7-0 in favour of the boulevard instead of a 400-series highway for the 413. Now goes to Council.

A 200 page presentation deck was also provided by staff tonight supporting the rationale for the boulevard and providing a history of the impacts of highways among other design history lessons. I'll post it tomorrow.

Seems strange. How would a boulevard work if it's a toll highway? Sensor gantries after every intersection?

Or is this highway not to be tolled?

Either way, province has the power to override both lower and upper tier municipalities. Douggie could also do this as a big F-you to Patrick Brown lol

I highly doubt this will happen, MTO is just gunna curbstomp it from the outset. I'm honestly confused what level of management in Brampton decided it would be a good idea to spend thousands on consultants to make this up. Moving forward with the plan would just murder any benefits GTA west would have.

I highly doubt this will happen, MTO is just gunna curbstomp it from the outset. I'm honestly confused what level of management in Brampton decided it would be a good idea to spend thousands on consultants to make this up. Moving forward with the plan would just murder any benefits GTA west would have.

The boulevard idea, as conceived, does not work.

Neither does the highway.

Both need to die.

This is what I was thinking. Does the management feel the staff needs make work projects? Although, maybe it was work assigned by the politicians who don't see the connection between staff time an d money.

Heritage Heights, this last section of NW Brampton has been in planning hell for at least a decade, as the city, landowners, developers and residents continue to bicker over what it should be. The current iteration has happened because the city finally booted off a conservative council in the last election.

Seems strange. How would a boulevard work if it's a toll highway? Sensor gantries after every intersection?

Or is this highway not to be tolled?

Either way, province has the power to override both lower and upper tier municipalities. Douggie could also do this as a big F-you to Patrick Brown lol
What happens if Toronto votes to turn 401 into a boulevard?
Can Toronto vote to turn the Union Railway Tracks into a boulevard?

How cute and oh so Canadian. Another 200 page report, another proposal, another council meeting, more and more money, i still don't see any plan or construction. Ah Canada. Good thing I still love it here.

Who's responsibility is it to remove and clean up road pylons and broken construction signs along the sides of the 400 series highways? Today I was driving west bound on the 401 beside Pearson International, and there's a long row of pylons (that seem to be serving no purpose) and the occasional busted up construction sign all littered along the sides of the highway. Were these left behind or are they serving a purpose?

^MTO or the contractor doing work along that stretch, presumably. Try dropping MTO an email. They're fairly attentive in my experience - I emailed them asking to patch a pothole on a 400 series on ramp and they fixed it within a few days. Also note the name of the contractor on the pylons and contact them. Hope that helps.

The boulevard idea, as conceived, does not work.

Neither does the highway.

Both need to die.
The GTA really needs another highway for trucks to move their goods. The boulevard idea is only good for urban development which I highly doubt would happen in the outskirts of Brampton. It's a terrible idea actually. At least with the highway, they can still limit development around it. However, this shouldn't be a road for more cars to get around easier in the GTA. People need to get on transit. Instead of tolling the trucks, they should only toll the cars.

The GTA really needs another highway for trucks to move their goods. The boulevard idea is only good for urban development which I highly doubt would happen in the outskirts of Brampton. It's a terrible idea actually. At least with the highway, they can still limit development around it. However, this shouldn't be a road for more cars to get around easier in the GTA. People need to get on transit. Instead of tolling the trucks, they should only toll the cars.

I'll be honest with you, as someone who lives in caledon, the southern border between brampton and caledon is a dump, some farms are just sitting rotting away. I'm in favour of this highway, caledon east and bolton would really benefit from this highway.

They are dumps because they are all owned by land speculators. Caledon probably has some of the most expensive rural land in the country. It isn't poverty.

They are dumps because they are all owned by land speculators. Caledon probably has some of the most expensive rural land in the country. It isn't poverty.
Some enterprising land developer would want to build a hotel near the Cheltenham Badlands in Caledon if it weren't for the Greenbelt.

Back