News   Mar 28, 2024
 992     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Finch is being widened. It is basically a construction site from Keele to at least Highway 400 (I didn't go past the 400).

IMG_4111.JPG
IMG_4124.JPG
IMG_4123.JPG
IMG_4122.JPG
IMG_4121.JPG
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4119.JPG
IMG_4118.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4116.JPG
IMG_4115.JPG
IMG_4114.JPG
IMG_4113.JPG
IMG_4112.JPG

I don't quite understand why they had to replace the two Hwy 400 bridges as they look the same to me. Are they stronger than the previous bridges? Do they make it possible to widen Finch Ave? I'm confused.

I don't quite understand why they had to replace the two Hwy 400 bridges as they look the same to me. Are they stronger than the previous bridges? Do they make it possible to widen Finch Ave? I'm confused.

From link.

Metrolinx officials estimated that the (old) bridge deck had about 10 years of life left and the new structure will last 75 years. The LRT, which is expected to be completed in 2023, is set to run from Finch West Station to Humber College.

1595366432184.png

Three traffic lanes in each direction, LRT lanes, AND a bicycle & pedestrian path. From link.

Last edited:
Need to see an ophthalmologist or optometrist if you missed the "deck had about 10 years of life left" part.

That still doesn't answer his question. Maybe you need a ophthalmologist or optometrist.

He asked an and/or question. He realizes its to replace an aging bridge, that's not in dispute.

His question is AS WELL as replacing an aging bridge, did they take the opportunity to lengthen it, providing more room underneath for a Finch widening, or did they replace the bridge to the same state?

To state that the old bridge was in need of replacement does not answer whether there was any modification done beyond that in terms of length, and its still left up to assumption.

So it was just to replace an old bridge with no lengthening?
Yes. But they didn't replace the abutments of piers, only the superstructure - so in 40 to 50 years we may have some troubles as the chloride contaminated concrete continues to deteriorate.

There was an option to replace the 2-span (61.5' or 18.7m each) bridge with a new 2 span (2@26m) bridge. It would have allowed for an extra lane underneath in each direction, and wider sidewalks/multi-use paths. Cost wise, it would have been similar. It would have required staged construction on highway 400, so it would take an extra year. Metrolinx wanted it done this year, and traffic people were adamant that the existing lanes (minus 2 for LRT) on Finch would not be a problem - although many non-traffic people did not believe them.

Between Weston Rd and Norfinch Dr/Oakdale Rd, there will not be any bicycle lanes in either direction nor a sidewalk on the north side of Finch. All pedestrians and cyclists (save for those cyclists who are hardy enough to use the vehicular lanes) will be sharing a multi-use path on the south side of Finch. Since the Hwy 400 bridges were not lengthened, the existing sidewalk that abuts against the curb will become a pinchpoint for all pedestrians and cyclists in both directions. Classic treatment of pedestrians and cyclists at 400-series highway crossings.

Metrolinx is behaving in a downright sleazy way.

After clearly, unequivocally supporting a community hub on a portion of the maintenance centre site, they are now saying they will instead sell off the land to the highest bidder.

After clearly, unequivocally supporting a community hub on a portion of the maintenance centre site, they are now saying they will instead sell off the land to the highest bidder.

I’m just gonna leave this here:

Wow, one of the poorest neighbourhood in Toronto. Shameful.

Back