Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

Was to go into operation Sept 7, 2020 but been push down the road toward the end of the year or early 2021 due COVID-19 and other issues. It will open when it ready to open and can't happen soon enough for TTC. It only about 2-4 years late now depend on what time frame that was used for it was to happen.

Any date pertaining to the Mississauga Transitway opening date has been miss by months to a year and this station is part of that system. Shouldn't be surprise that it will miss Sept 7 date.
Thank you! I agree the bus terminal looks nowhere near ready for a September opening. But it is progressing well.

June 26
Lots of photos up on site taken from various locations including GO Platform.

There is no way this terminal will open up in the next 4 months with the amount of work to be done, especially having elevators in service. Since I have no access to the terminal, no idea where installing the elevators stand, but the ones for GO Platform and the north building months down the road.

They are just forming the retaining wall for the east end that is next to TTC storage tracks. Once that is done, needs to be back fill to allow the driveway to be pour. Bricking talking place at both ends, including the sound barrier one.

The street is now a circle where the buses will enter/exit the terminal as well the driveway for the condo with a sidewalk. Crews were placing a sub base of gravel for the condo and would see asphalt place on top of it as a temporary measures. Cars to/from the condo were being directed at both ends of the street that force crews to stop work from time to time to let the cars pass.

No work has started for TTC new parking lot as well the kiss and ride, No elevator for this area at this time nor ready to have one install.

Until all the elevators are install and working, this terminal can't open.

With only 5 months remaining for this year, everyone hope for good weather, otherwise, 2021 opening date.

You can walk down to the end of the street now that will offer you a better view than the past
50055907473_107aa222c8_b.jpg

50056485721_0dc5a92c3a_b.jpg

50056730492_c46cdb86ae_b.jpg

50056483646_157e0de39e_b.jpg

50056729982_73c914da14_b.jpg

50056728082_e0ddb34f9a_b.jpg

50055910828_5dc4946573_b.jpg

50056488351_b1ced32d8c_b.jpg

50056735832_b7e02ea28e_b.jpg

50056489716_762bc56b77_b.jpg

50056738222_f772a79d6d_b.jpg

50056492506_57d0ca47e1_b.jpg

50056492841_273e4ed3b7_b.jpg

50056740592_c0edc768b7_b.jpg

50056493841_3c4907728b_b.jpg

50056494051_422e8dea82_b.jpg

50056496116_b97fe52039_b.jpg

From a recent MX newsletter:

Kipling Transit Hub Update
Work began on the Subway Crescent cul-de-dac late April and since then, significant progress has been made. The work is nearly finished on the east side of Subway Crescent and we have moved to the west side. Next steps include completing sidewalks and installing streetlights.

This month, crews also began installing the green roof on the new bus terminal building. The green roof system consists of pre-grown vegetated modules that arrive in pallets, are lifted by crane onto the roof, and are then fitted into place. The green roof is a low-maintenance system. During rainfalls, water will be absorbed by the modules and any runoff that collects will slope towards a drain on the roof. Construction of the green roof will be completed this summer.

Below is a rendering showing an aerial view of the station including the bus terminal with the green roof. The photo shows the green roof installation in progress.

*All renderings are subject to change.
HCv9I4EI0IxEngZybGvHhFOmMC7zFzupGZppm89t6fYgxhcu5MMKb3kDZbeQBl-L3OgzDHBnBGf2IPZDPSmM4LKCVUEe9biB2PUn79fUR0_7OFvjD8mowv_f3_guXkEuVXrPdz0Ep_wvUWmg3ix53Y3CjMea6A=s0-d-e1-ft
VzdZ8-VyURfUHyiwGuQiUBjqPcah0cVoxHD4oHfnI5pPTujKZLd0fHd6qdhZdtEhLkM_mKDR9JLmXPw4_K9qReKSaip0SCl4BprvhpverbxNho-A5gKeycknhQTHztmhH6jAF8svs2vS9fisCZaoAWRG6Rmohg=s0-d-e1-ft

I wonder how the green roofs do with these consecutive scorching hot days. Most lawns in Toronto houses are mostly yellow right now.

Is a Brown Lawn a Dead Lawn?

Answer: No!

From link.

Every summer, at least one person in every neighborhood lets the grass turn brown. People start grumbling about what a shame it is that they let their lawn die like that. But did the grass really die because they stopped watering it? Probably not. Grass is not like a tree. When a tree turns brown over the summer, it's more than likely dead. Grasses, particularly cool-season species, are built to turn brown.

Depending on where you live, over the summer grass may experience stretches of time when there is not much rain. When grass, particularly cool-season species, goes without water it does not die, it goes dormant. Different grasses stay dormant for different amounts of time, but they are all usually healthy while they are in this dormancy. Certainly, a prolonged drought will eventually kill grass roots, as well as the blades, but that does not happen very often. A month without a good rain or water of any kind might do it, though, depending on the grass.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU WATER THE LAWN OVER THE SUMMER

If you prefer to have a green lawn, you will need to water it over the summer, particularly in very hot weather. If you choose to allow your turf to become dormant, you probably will not have harmed its overall health. But even if you are willing to let your grass go dormant, you should still consider irrigating it once or twice during rainless periods during the real heat of summer just to be sure it won't die.

A BETTER WAY

If you want yo keep your grass green all summer, you will need to water whenever the grass starts to dry out. Whether from rainfall or an irrigation system, most lawns will need about 1 to 1/2 inches per week in order to remain green.

THE REAL DIRT

If you want your grass to be green all year, you will probably need to irrigate. Besides unsightliness, though, there's nothing wrong with letting grass go dormant over the summer. But if there's a dry spell lasting more than a month, you will need to get out the sprinkler if you want it to survive.

From: https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/lawns/lawn-care/improving-your-lawns-drought-tolerance.html

Mowing

Always mow at the highest recommended height for your turf species. This increases leaf area, allowing for more photosynthesis, the process by which plants make carbohydrates that they store to help them survive stresses like drought. The higher the mowing height, the deeper and more extensive the root system will be.

Never cut more than one third of the leaf blade at any one time. You may be able to reduce your mowing frequency since the grass will grow more slowly during drought. Be sure to keep your mower blades sharp. A sharp blade makes a cleaner cut that heals faster and stresses the grass less than one made with a dull blade.

In general people who wish to maintain a lawn (I'd rather they use native plants; and/or grow veg).......

Should put the blades at 10-11cm or higher; or just above 4 inches, that will maximize lawn health as much or more than any fertilizer.

Last edited:
From: https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/lawns/lawn-care/improving-your-lawns-drought-tolerance.html

Mowing

Always mow at the highest recommended height for your turf species. This increases leaf area, allowing for more photosynthesis, the process by which plants make carbohydrates that they store to help them survive stresses like drought. The higher the mowing height, the deeper and more extensive the root system will be.

Never cut more than one third of the leaf blade at any one time. You may be able to reduce your mowing frequency since the grass will grow more slowly during drought. Be sure to keep your mower blades sharp. A sharp blade makes a cleaner cut that heals faster and stresses the grass less than one made with a dull blade.

In general people who wish to maintain a lawn (I'd rather they use native plants; and/or grow veg).......

Should cut the blades at 10-11cm or higher; or just above 4 inches, that will maximize lawn health as much or more than any fertilizer.

I hate having to spend so much time regularly maintaining a lawn. Really considering dramatically reducing the grass footprint with a variety of uses, such as landscaped flower beds, rock gardens, vegetable/fruit plots...

I hate having to spend so much time regularly maintaining a lawn. Really considering dramatically reducing the grass footprint with a variety of uses, such as landscaped flower beds, rock gardens, vegetable/fruit plots...

If you want to go natural (native plants) I'm happy to supply lists of things you might find interesting; and suppliers.

Greenroofs of this sort use sedum - extremely drought tolerant.

AoD

Mowing

Should cut the blades at 10-11cm or higher; or just above 4 inches, that will maximize lawn health as much or more than any fertilizer.
Thanks for the information, folks! Learned a few new things from the info provided!

I might have to change up my mowing habits!

^As it should be due to the sheer number of bus routes that will be terminating at the station. Last thing we need is a Mississauga City Centre style Bus Terminal, or worse yet a Hamilton MacNab Bus styled Terminal.

If Metrolinx can build grandiose Taj Mahal styled parking garages, than I see no wrong (and I certainly encourage them) to build palaced size bus terminals.

Back