Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

DSC04577.JPG

another clunker for the city of TO. never been a fan of this building/design but it is at a rather important intersection... I always felt like Spadina was where the highrises ended and it seemed rather stark and bleak as you approached the intersection heading west on Front. so having said that I think it's important how this building addresses the intersection. so far it seems disappointing. another typical Toronto development that seems like it has been designed inside a bubble with little to no thought given to its place or context.

another clunker for the city of TO. never been a fan of this building/design but it is at a rather important intersection... I always felt like Spadina was where the highrises ended and it seemed rather stark and bleak as you approached the intersection heading west on Front. so having said that I think it's important how this building addresses the intersection. so far it seems disappointing. another typical Toronto development that seems like it has been designed inside a bubble with little to no thought given to its place or context.
What would you have done differently from a massing perspective to better-address 'place and context'?

I think for a development sandwiched between a very old and historic neighbourhood, and a neighbourhood that didn't exist 20 years ago, they're doing ok. The podium of the office tower is definitely a bit clunky and I would have liked to see the previous versions with the cross bracing or the red fins be implemented but alas, here we are. I definitely think none of the Well buildings themselves will be individual stunners - it's more of a sum of all parts thing. I'm definitely worried about the three aA towers - hopefully they spec curtainwall that is less aquavelva in colour compared to the office tower.

I think (can't say for sure) redroom's complaint lies with the fact that the building doesn't directly reference the red brick warehouses to the north.

From the original renderings I assumed we were getting an office block on par with London's Leaderhall Building albeit on a smaller scale. My enthusiasm was somewhat curbed with the exterior cosmetic bracing not being even remotely believable. Regardless I think the project is still a good one for the health of downtown Toronto. Hopefully nobodies going to touch the Stantec building.

Back