Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

And hopefully all those projects that have been listed above arent the final grand total of transit projects that will be built the rest of all our lifetimes. Because who knows, next thing you know we can be starved from transit builds for the next 30+ years the way things go in Ontario.

Like they say, never trust plans or construction until more than 1 station hole has been built. That way, the project cant be backfilled ;)

Some politicians build transit to their front doors (Mel Lastman & Doug Ford) and are considered hero's. Others propose to build transit for others (David Miller) and are considered villains.

The elite should learn that "nobody" wants anything built but "subways, subways, subways."
Buses are transit, so are LRTs, and also "subways". Miller failed on that because he went for an LRT-for-all plan - even for previously planned grade-separated corridor(s); coupled with having a bad salesperson team on Transit City.

Buses are transit, so are LRTs, and also "subways". Miller failed on that because he went for an LRT-for-all plan - even for previously planned grade-separated corridor(s); coupled with having a bad salesperson team on Transit City.
Miller had a Bus plan as well. Hard to sell LRT when people kept calling them street cars. People on this thread can't seem to figure out the difference so good luck with the average person. Plus Ford's plan was basically subways subways and only subways. His plan wasn't any more diverse. The only reason LRTs are being built is because it costs money to break every single contract. Transit city should have been up and running by now. LRT might not be perfect but it's better than what we currently have.

Miller had a Bus plan as well. Hard to sell LRT when people kept calling them street cars. People on this thread can't seem to figure out the difference so good luck with the average person. Plus Ford's plan was basically subways subways and only subways. His plan wasn't any more diverse. The only reason LRTs are being built is because it costs money to break every single contract. Transit city should have been up and running by now. LRT might not be perfect but it's better than what we currently have.
Part of the Tranist City Bus Plan (TCBP) is implemented including 10 minute frequent network, express network, LCD display at bus stops and new bus stop markers. Others like improved bus shelters we are starting to see with Access Hubs and the slow implementation of bus jump lanes made a tiny progress.

Other important points mention in the TCBP hasn't quite made any progress such as the 20 minute all day everyday improvement (remains 30 min today). Also barely any transit priority have been introduced in one whole decade. BRT remains off limits.

So what you're saying is that since 2010 not much has happened yet people think conservatives are their answer to transit utopia. Meanwhile I seem to notice the 401 gets wider and wider.

401 gets widened most likely because the MTO isn't really intermingled with political squabbling and can pretty much do whatever they want as long as its in their budget.

I'm just glad we didn't build the Don Mills LRT as part of TC. That would have really hamstrung any attempt to provide meaningful relief north of Bloor.

So what you're saying is that since 2010 not much has happened yet people think conservatives are their answer to transit utopia. Meanwhile I seem to notice the 401 gets wider and wider.

I mean the Ontario liberals were in power for the majority of 2010's so I dont see what your point is

I mean the Ontario liberals were in power for the majority of 2010's so I dont see what your point is
And Stephen Harper, a conservative, was in power at 24 Sussex until 2015.

Are you suggesting the only way to get something built is to have the city, province, and feds all either PC or Liberal to get something done?

Miller (left) McGuinty (left) Harper (right) = something happening

Ford (right) Wynne (Left) Harper (right) = Nothing happening

Tory (right) Ford (right) Trudeau (left) = Nothing happening

With respect to politics, I think the feds are too far removed from Toronto to have much of impact. City and provincial ineptitude is probably more to blame than the stripe of the party in Ottawa. I feel like if the city and province are on the same page more or less and present a coherent funding ask to the feds, the latter would almost always grant it (exceptions notwithstanding).

And Stephen Harper, a conservative, was in power at 24 Sussex until 2015.

Are you suggesting the only way to get something built is to have the city, province, and feds all either PC or Liberal to get something done?

Miller (left) McGuinty (left) Harper (right) = something happening

Ford (right) Wynne (Left) Harper (right) = Nothing happening

Tory (right) Ford (right) Trudeau (left) = Nothing happening

Yeah, as we can see, the common factor is dysfunctional relations between the city and province.

Last edited:

Back