News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 836     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Indeed, I would like to see a proactive rather than reactive response in the most-problem areas.

We can kill this thing if we can find the carriers and isolate them.

You can't find them all, especially with asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic transmission - that's why it is imperative that people act in a way that reduces the possibility of transmission - and that means masks in enclosed spaces, social distancing, etc. Treat others as potential carriers - and behave as if you are one at all times.

AoD

Last edited:
If we do all of that combined with aggressive contact tracing, we can keep on top of it

Based on what I have seen - pumping the population about reopening primed it to throw caution to the wind. The whole "we can't enforce, therefore we don't mandate" excuse - and throwing it to the individual public health authority is just so ludicrous.

AoD

We should stop comparing ourselves to the U.S. if we want to have people actually take COVID seriously still.

Any country would seem to be doing amazing comparatively.

Many developed country's healthcare, gun control, and ability to not-elect-non-qualified-politicians would also seem amazing comparatively.

We gotta stop using "At least we aren't the U.S." as an excuse. Which I've been seeing a lot of on social media.

We should set our standards at countries similar to us, like Australia, or some European nations, not a politically polarized, capitalism-focused, broken nation in desperate need of change.

Thing is though Canadians are a weird hybrid of American and European.

They won't really listen to govt as much as Europeans or think collectively to stay locked down for months but they wont expect to party at a nightclub right after lockdown ends.

i would say Toronto can move to stage 2, if cases increase push them back to stage 1 then.

leave the rest of the province alone... Business needs to be done and Trudeau cant keep giving 2k a month forever.

I just sense there is no urgency from leadership. That includes Dr. Tam, Prime Minister Trudeau, Premier Ford, Minister Elliot, Dr. Williams, Mayor Tory or Toronto public health. Their problem solving paradigms are completely lacking in common sense and flexibility.

Dr.Williams was actually defending an absurd policy to allow migrant workers who are COVID-19 positive to keep working if they are asymptotic. Furthermore the government is allowing employers to regulate this. So basically migrant workers on farms who are COVID-19 are working if they don’t feel too sick and the Ontario government is endorsing this and letting the employers manage this. The argument was this will encourage workers to come forward if they are sick... What are they talking about! Dr. Williams as well as the Ministers involved should all resign. Furthermore, Mexico should follow through and ban all migrant workers from working in Canada.

Furthermore, Mexico should follow through and ban all migrant workers from working in Canada.

They likely won't - these workers are a source of remittance, and their response to COVID is wanting (not as wanting as the US, but not great). Having said that, the workers are in Canada - it is only right that we make sure they are healthy and taken care of.

AoD

Last edited:
We should stop comparing ourselves to the U.S. if we want to have people actually take COVID seriously still.

Any country would seem to be doing amazing comparatively.

Many developed country's healthcare, gun control, and ability to not-elect-non-qualified-politicians would also seem amazing comparatively.

We gotta stop using "At least we aren't the U.S." as an excuse. Which I've been seeing a lot of on social media.

We should set our standards at countries similar to us, like Australia, or some European nations, not a politically polarized, capitalism-focused, broken nation in desperate need of change.

The quote I love is not .........Strive for mediocrity and settle for better than worst.

It is....Strive for perfection and settle for excellence.

In this vein we must compare ourselves in any area of life, society, or politics to the best and strive not only to equal but to better that.

Now, its true, many things at which one might wish to be the best, may conflict with each other. Freedom and order do not align perfectly, nor do moderate levels of taxation and high levels of program delivery.

But where compromises are required we still ought to prioritize these; and to strive to achieve no less than average performance in any; and ideally much better.

It never works well to compare oneself to a laggard.

Thing is though Canadians are a weird hybrid of American and European
Yes, this point explains it all pretty well, a lot of times I wished we were more European. A fitting description I guess would be "British and French raised by Americans".

I wish people stopped acting like we have the same rights as Americans, we don't, and that's perfectly fine, and is just the way most people like it. We don't need any more American culture and values, they arent exactly the envy of the world to have.

Sometimes, I like thinking about the what-if of Canada joining the E.U, personally I would support, but that's a topic for another day.

Considering the European response though, I wish we took a more Australian or NZ approach, rather than our weird American-European hybrid approach to COVID, which didn't turn out exactly great.

Only two U.S. states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Only two U.S. states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases compared to last week: Connecticut and Rhode Island.

A rise was reported in a staggering 36 states, including Florida, which some experts have cautioned could be the next epicentre for infections. Officials there and across the U.S. are also warning of an increase in cases among younger people.

Florida reported 9,585 new coronavirus cases Saturday, a single-day record since the start of the pandemic. The number rivals those of New York's peak in early April (New York's new case tally Saturday was about 6% of Florida's). On Sunday, Florida's Department of Health reported another 8,530 new cases.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said the state's surge in cases in the past week was the result of a "test dump," echoing an assertion from the White House that an increase in testing is resulting in the higher numbers.

The head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention contended the increase was actual, not an anomaly related to testing numbers, and warned more spread and deaths were in the country's future.

"As a doctor, a scientist, an epidemiologist, I can tell you with 100% certainty that in most states where you're seeing an increase, it is a real increase. It is not more tests; it is more spread of the virus," CDC Director Tom Frieden told Fox News on Sunday.

In the South, the numbers are rising as a result of hasty reopenings, he said, and it's "going to continue to get worse for weeks." Deaths are not yet spiking because deaths lag infections by about a month, he said, estimating the nation will see at least 15,000 more deaths in the next month.

This all came as the United States broke another record, reporting the highest number of new cases in a single day Friday with at least 40,173 new infections.

The daunting numbers could be "a tip of the iceberg," Frieden said. A CDC survey suggests the total number of coronavirus infections across the U.S. could actually be six to 24 times greater than reported.

--------
WHERE NEW CASES ARE ON THE RISE

The 36 states reporting a rise in cases are: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Cases are tracking steady in Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Hampshire New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota and Virginia.

Yes, this point explains it all pretty well, a lot of times I wished we were more European. A fitting description I guess would be "British and French raised by Americans".

I wish people stopped acting like we have the same rights as Americans, we don't, and that's perfectly fine, and is just the way most people like it. We don't need any more American culture and values, they arent exactly the envy of the world to have.

Sometimes, I like thinking about the what-if of Canada joining the E.U, personally I would support, but that's a topic for another day.

Considering the European response though, I wish we took a more Australian or NZ approach, rather than our weird American-European hybrid approach to COVID, which didn't turn out exactly great.
Why would you want canada to join a group to get policy shoved upon you regardless of choice by german technocrats...

Like I think the EU is good but I like Canada can do what it wants

If we do all of that combined with aggressive contact tracing, we can keep on top of it
The problem with contact tracing (in Ontario) is we have plenty of people doing it, but the testing times lag so much. It takes days to get the information from the labs and Public Health units to the contact tracers both because the tests are taking too long and because there is no one computer system to pass info around (Toronto still does a lot by paper and fax). Once the tracers get the info there's plenty of staff. First level contacts the tested person and if positive test for COVID, gets list of contacts from the tested person. Next level is in touch daily with the potential infected to make sure they are quarentining and ask if they have symptoms. Source: someone highly involved in coordination of tracing.

Testing has ramped up; I'm hearing people with results in less than 24 hours now (not Toronto Public Health though). We do need to get better at all of this. I think they also need to focus on people with symptoms rather than those getting tested so they can visit someone in a LTC, in terms of fast-tracking test results at least.

Why would you want canada to join a group to get policy shoved upon you regardless of choice by german technocrats...
Like I think the EU is good but I like Canada can do what it wants

Not to say Canada should join the EU - but the EU legislate through the European Parliament, the seats of which are allocated by a formula that preferentially biases in favour of countries with smaller populations. Germany has less than 100 seats out of 750.

AoD

Back