Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A thought occurred to me. Now that Renforth station will be trenched instead of on-street, the only thing stopping the full grade seperation of the line between Mount Dennis and YYZ is the Silver Dart and Renforth intersection. Is a station at Silver Dart really worth it? Or could we somehow grade seperate the intersection? We could have full ATC service between Laird and Pearson if we do so.

Last edited:
A thought occurred to me. Now that Renforth station will be trenched instead of on-street, the only thing stopping the full grade seperation of the line between Mount Dennis and YYZ is the Silver Dart and Renforth intersection. Is a station at Silver Dart really worth it? Or could we somehow grade seperate the intersection? We could have full ATC service between Laird and Pearson if we do so.
That alignment is such a waste. Nobody would board there. They could have spent the money on a surface spur up Martin Grove or Kipling and west on Dixon. Not only would it help serve more people, they could have help develop that airport strip along Dixon. Instead they are building this extension equally as long with a bunch of bridges for nobody in between for a savings of 5 minute travel time.

That Miway 100 bus could continue to take riders from Mississauga City Centre to the airport without a transfer.

That alignment is such a waste. Nobody would board there. They could have spent the money on a surface spur up Martin Grove or Kipling and west on Dixon. Not only would it help serve more people, they could have help develop that airport strip along Dixon. Instead they are building this extension equally as long with a bunch of bridges for nobody in between for a savings of 5 minute travel time.

That Miway 100 bus could continue to take riders from Mississauga City Centre to the airport without a transfer.

I think it's more likely that the future FWLRT extension will service that Dixon stretch. South on Hwy 27, west on Dixon, connecting at some point to the ECLRT tracks going into the Pearson Transit Hub.

Out of curiosity what do you think is the likelihood that the Eglinton West LRT has shovels in the ground before the next election (June 2, 2022). Aka at the point where there is no turning back.

Steve Munro on the topic (see Eglinton Crosstown):

Apparently, the financial close for the tunnel construction is scheduled for Spring 2021. The tunneling might start before the elections.

Apparently, the financial close for the tunnel construction is scheduled for Spring 2021. The tunneling might start before the elections.

Thats very interesting they would financially close Eglinton West LRT before the Ontario Line. Also federal government hasn't supported the extension financially either. Seems like Trudeau will wait and see who wins the 2022 election then decide on supporting billion $ projects. If so its very questionable a financial close happens in Spring 2021

Thats very interesting they would financially close Eglinton West LRT before the Ontario Line. Also federal government hasn't supported the extension financially either. Seems like Trudeau will wait and see who wins the 2022 election then decide on supporting billion $ projects. If so its very questionable a financial close happens in Spring 2021

Eh, always way easier to extend than to start a line from scratch

Doug knows where his bread is buttered.

I must say that I am tremendously impressed with how rapidly this proposal is moving forward. Two years from approval to construction is virtually unheard of in this city (at least in recent history).

I must say that I am tremendously impressed with how rapidly this proposal is moving forward. Two years from approval to construction is virtually unheard of in this city (at least in recent history).
Some politicians build transit to their front doors (Mel Lastman & Doug Ford) and are considered hero's. Others propose to build transit for others (David Miller) and are considered villains.

The elite should learn that "nobody" wants anything built but "subways, subways, subways."

Some politicians build transit to their front doors (Mel Lastman & Doug Ford) and are considered hero's. Others propose to build transit for others (David Miller) and are considered villains.

The elite should learn that "nobody" wants anything built but "subways, subways, subways."
Well, Ford's "doorstep" is a transit desert in need of relief.

Well, Ford's "doorstep" is a transit desert in need of relief.
Relief of what exactly? Is there a need to another connection to Pearson airport? Most definitely. Is Eglinton West a congested mess with commuters clamoring for transit relief? Not necessarily.

Nevertheless I just want transit built in this city for once in my lifetime, i'm tired of the pointless squabbling politicians do because they have no idea what they're talking about on the transit file which leads to decades of delays.

Last edited:
Relief of what exactly? Is there a need to another connection to Pearson airport? Most definitely. Is Eglinton West a congested mess with commuters clamoring for transit relief? Not necessarily.

Nevertheless I just want transit built in this city for once in my lifetime, i'm tired of the pointless squabbling politicians do because they have no idea what they're talking about on the transit file which leads to decades of delays.
Clearly you've forgotten that TYSSE has opened just 2.5 years ago

Back