News   Apr 23, 2024
 180     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 694     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 434     0 

The Retail Apocalypse

SAIL has camping stuff on sale right now, but I’ve only been in a store once so I don’t know what their selection is like.

What kind of camping stuff?
If they have Mountain House teriyaki chicken and rice at half price then I'm buying it all!

I would still dearly love to know why they don't sell climbing gear.

I'm guessing MEC don't sell hunting and fishing gear because it was founded by a bunch of hippie dippie vegans or something but what the hell is Sail's problem with climbing? Is it unethical in some logically twisted way?

Ok...so Mountain House grub is not on sale and is actually a dollar more than at CT.

The Children's Place to close 300 stores

June 12, 2020

Dive Brief:
  • With e-commerce up 300% quarter to date while about 95% of stores were still closed due to the pandemic, the Children's Place said it will abandon many of its mall locations for good. Overall, e-commerce in the first quarter rose 12.2% to about 53% of net sales. At the start of 2022, the retailer's mall-based portfolio will represent less than 25% of its total revenue, CEO Jane Elfers said.
  • Executives said 300 stores will permanently close in the next 20 months: about 100 by the end of the second quarter for a total of 200 closures this year, and another 100 set to close in 2021. About half of the first set of closures will take place in the next month and a half, with most of them expected to open briefly for liquidation sales, CFO/COO Mike Scarpa told analysts, according to a conference call transcript from Motley Fool.
  • The dramatic pivot came as the company reported that first-quarter net sales fell 38.1% to $255.2 million. The retailer swung to a $114.8 million loss from $4.5 million in net income a year ago, with a gross loss of $19.7 million from gross profit of $152 million last year. That was a 990-basis point downswing to 26.8% of net sales, primarily due to the higher costs of e-commerce fulfillment, along with the fixed expenses of closed stores, according to a company press release.

Majority of Retailers & Businesses Not Able to Pay Rent as Costs Accrue Amid Reopenings

June 18, 2020

Commercial rent continues to be the most critical aspect of many businesses in Canada as they struggle to survive through the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Toronto Association Of Business Improvement Areas, in partnership with other groups, has been conducting surveys around the issue and the results are striking for the future of many of those small businesses.

The latest survey, which included businesses in Toronto, Guelph, and Ottawa, found that 72 percent of businesses could not make all of June’s rent while 63 percent did not pay all of May’s rent and 50 percent April’s rent. Also, 78 percent of businesses feel they will not make all of July’s rent.

Macy's to lay off 3,900 employees

June 25, 2020

Macy's Inc said on Thursday it would lay off about 3,900 employees in corporate and management positions to help lessen some of the financial strain of dwindling sales due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Not to be confused with the fried chicken restaurant of the same name that shares the same parent company as Burger King and Tim Horton's.

598px-Popeyes_Logo_With_Symbol_2019.svg.png

All that workout went for nothing here

logo_en_dark-bkgd_264x150_5e6c29e4-606a-4efc-98a7-2699eaf9d96c_263x150.png

Excellent for workouts

Last edited:
Microsoft closing all retail stores:

Microsoft closing all retail stores:

Their stores makes no sense even prior to COVID - it's cluttered and doesn't work well as a Microsoft showroom at all.

AoD

Back