News   Apr 15, 2024
 907     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 645     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Probably won't happen.

It doesn't matter what's needed. Anything 100m or below is disrespect! :p

Thing is if we used the metrics of the Prov's OL carrying capacity, 50m stations would be sufficient forever. Maybe bump it up to 75m for the hell of it. But you are correct, that'd be unfair somehow and thus an automatic non-starter.

I dunno how sentiment in this forum has changed since the early years of last decade, but I am becoming way more supportive of a Sheppard Subway Extension, to the degree that I wish it was occurring instead of the Scarborough Subway Extension. Especially if combined with an Ontario Line extension from Eglinton to Sheppard to redirect Scarborough/North York passenger volumes away from Line 1.

A two stop extension with stops at Consumers and Victoria Park can be justified very easily with changing land use context, and I think that holds true all the way to Agincourt. From Agincourt, it would be prudent to find a way to connect to Scarborough Town Centre and with Line 2.

An infill station at Willowdale could probably pay for itself if you impose a TIF in the area.

From the land use perspective, Sheppard extension would probably win. But from the ridership perspective, SSE wins. The peak ridership forecasts for SSE are in the range of 7,000 to 14,000 pphpd, while for the Sheppard extension, no more than 5,500 pphpd.

It's important to note that the Sheppard Extension numbers are quite old at this point. Who knows if the changing landuse context has changed that.

Personally I would much rather see the Ontario Line go up to Sheppard before this one.

It's important to note that the Sheppard Extension numbers are quite old at this point. Who knows if the changing landuse context has changed that.

Personally I would much rather see the Ontario Line go up to Sheppard before this one.
The OL or DRL with traditional subway trains is what should be built first. But God wouldn't that be perfect for the entitled rich people who get to shop at Don mills and York mills while people in Scarborough are basically neglected.

I believe the old Sheppard Extension numbers took into account the land use changes. Condos add some walk-in traffic but do not really change the balance that much on the subway scale. Feeder routes are always the main contributor to the subway ridership, except in the small downtown zone with very high employment density.

But yes, the Sheppard numbers are old, and would change somewhat if recalculated today.

Extending Ontario Line to Sheppard makes perfect sense, and after that, retrofitting the existing Sheppard subway to the OL technology may be considered.

Good point.

If the Sheppard Line became the main subway line in Scarborough, I have no doubt the ridership would be as good as the SSE projections, if not better.

Ultimately, it's more practical.

I somehow remember subways to pickering in someone speech. Pretty sure that wasn't Trudeau or Tory.

That's quite possible; I did not follow that closely.

But, what is it worth?

Allocated finding = say 50% chance of actually seeing the thing built. No allocated funding = just a background noise. I can as well promise to build a Floo network.

That's quite possible; I did not follow that closely.

But, what is it worth?

Allocated finding = say 50% chance of actually seeing the thing built. No allocated funding = just a background noise. I can as well promise to build a Floo network.
Its worth as much as anything drawn on a napkin.

wasn't that someone in the govt comparing GO RER to above ground subways?
"We've been preaching for 10 years in Toronto … we love subways. Rapid underground transit," Ford told reporters...."We're going to focus on being the most modern transit system in the world. We're going to build rapid underground transit that's going to extend, not only in Toronto, but we're the first government that's going to run a regional transportation system. So folks in Pickering eventually will be able to hop on a subway and get to downtown Toronto. People of Markham and the outlying areas, over time, will be on a subway, to make sure that we get traffic moving."

"We've been preaching for 10 years in Toronto … we love subways. Rapid underground transit," Ford told reporters...."We're going to focus on being the most modern transit system in the world. We're going to build rapid underground transit that's going to extend, not only in Toronto, but we're the first government that's going to run a regional transportation system. So folks in Pickering eventually will be able to hop on a subway and get to downtown Toronto. People of Markham and the outlying areas, over time, will be on a subway, to make sure that we get traffic moving."

Unless it's the Ontario Line - then it has to be above ground because tunnels are dark and scary, and people don't like using escalators.

As for Sheppard, Ford has been promising to build it for years, to 'close the loop'. We even have some pictorial evidence...

_1_ontario_line.jpg

Back