News   Apr 17, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 270     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

We should be trying to get people to stop relying on their cars. For some, the traffic/travel is inevitable, but for others, we can reduce it. Why doesn't the government do anything to reduce some of that congestion? There are a ton of nurses, teachers, police officers, government employees who commute along the 401 for hours to get to their jobs, when they could do the same job closer to where they live. The government should be making transfers to work where you live easier. It's not 1990 where you move to, and spend the rest of your life in one place.

Most big cities have major highways and subways

But in Canada we just play a zero sum game instead.

At one time, cities HAD to have walls surrounding them.

Québec City.
1920px-WPQc-083_Porte_Saint-Jean.JPG

Montréal
1280px-Champ_de_mars_Montreal.JPG

From link.

Doesn't mean we should build walls. (Except to keep the 905ers from driving their cars into Toronto using the city's streets and expressways for free.)

Issue is i think the problem is the 401 is stuck at Milton is not something transit can fix.

its literally the only east West road and its only 3 lanes in an area with insane regional and truck traffic.

i agree about urban expressways are dumb but I dont see an issue about widening the 401 as it is the life blood of this province.

Even in the planning wundaland of The Netherlands there are a ton of large freeways. They are probably one of the largest freeway builders in Europe actually. People like to hate on them but they are necessary and widening them absolutely helps with traffic and grows the GDP and general economic wellbeing as even if traffic eventually returns, that much larger amount of volume is throughput vs. without the widening, meaning more people are doing more things. More productivity.

We would love some induced demand transportation projects in London. That would take the strain away from the overloaded grid. No commuter freeways, no rapid transit. Roads and buses were clogged pre-Covid.

We are going to get a half-assed BRT but it won't be enough to cope with the growth this city has had over the past couple years. That will induce some demand I guess.

We're jealous of places like K-W with freeways and LRT. But we kinda shot ourselves in the foot- local government doesn't want them.

We should be trying to get people to stop relying on their cars. For some, the traffic/travel is inevitable, but for others, we can reduce it. Why doesn't the government do anything to reduce some of that congestion? There are a ton of nurses, teachers, police officers, government employees who commute along the 401 for hours to get to their jobs, when they could do the same job closer to where they live. The government should be making transfers to work where you live easier. It's not 1990 where you move to, and spend the rest of your life in one place.

It's not a government thing. How can a government facilitate that on a broad scale? I recall when the Ontario government decentralized a number of their offices back in the 90s and there was much angst because many people didn't want to move. People are free to work and live where they choose. One would assume a nurse living in Cobourg and commuting to Toronto lives there out of choice - perhaps because of housing costs - and either can't get a job locally or doesn't want to. If a TPS member wants to get a job at Barrie PS, they can apply. Working from home may start playing a larger role, depending on the job.

It's not a government thing. How can a government facilitate that on a broad scale? I recall when the Ontario government decentralized a number of their offices back in the 90s and there was much angst because many people didn't want to move. People are free to work and live where they choose. One would assume a nurse living in Cobourg and commuting to Toronto lives there out of choice - perhaps because of housing costs - and either can't get a job locally or doesn't want to. If a TPS member wants to get a job at Barrie PS, they can apply. Working from home may start playing a larger role, depending on the job.
The biggest change would be working remotely. That is the something the government can play a part in (Provincial/Health Care/Municipalities - as applicable) but that only goes so far.

Ontario Power Generation is moving out to Clarington, which is the first big decentralization of provincial employees in a while. It's not a terrible idea in my opinion anyway, since most provincial employees are "lifers" so having access to a wider job market isn't as important since they tend not to job hop.

Maybe more regional hiring. But if you are good enough to be a nurse in Toronto, why not in Clarington (or vice versa)? People avoid having to go through interviews, "starting over", so they "choose" to drive those commutes. What I'm saying is it would be good Public Health policy to try to make it easier to get people working closer to where they live.

Most of the new centre barrier around Brown Line on the QEW is done up to the ramp for Evan Ave, but still got to go west. A good chunk of the north sound barrier in place as well some widening, but still a large area up to the new Dixie Rd interchange.

Maybe more regional hiring. But if you are good enough to be a nurse in Toronto, why not in Clarington (or vice versa)? People avoid having to go through interviews, "starting over", so they "choose" to drive those commutes. What I'm saying is it would be good Public Health policy to try to make it easier to get people working closer to where they live.

Welcome to this job interview. Now, what is your name please?

Dr. Jekyll​

And why are you seeking a job here?

I didn't Iike the split roles I had....​

Back