Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Sunday
AE30F44A-9B96-4613-BBFC-398C96E6F813.jpeg

level 7 roof
0F4B03B6-9FB4-4864-8FCD-AB9154194FC7.jpeg

from City of Toronto site plan approval.

3731ADFD-0F2F-4A84-B8EE-279346B45997.png

level 4 roof
DB1EC48A-EF31-4E9E-96CB-6381609B7816.jpeg

FD95BE77-33BD-488D-A1E9-E9BE9FC8E49E.jpeg

Level 6 almost complete
8CCAD43A-44B2-433C-B6F9-392FED33AAAF.jpeg

70D10588-C37E-448B-9D5D-4CD01DEB9DEB.jpeg

Future overview
747B9D8D-A0A2-4505-9830-298D1FF2A972.jpeg

A few (>10?) thousand people will be calling this area home (or just visiting for the weekend) in the next few years. Unless everyone “decides” to work from home in the burbs.
E1AB0D11-7A5E-4D1C-A9D8-4D8B30F0768E.jpeg

1 YONGE ST
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal to revise the approved OPA and ZBA as it relates to the southerly parcel (phase 4 and 5) to allow for the inclusion of a hotel use within Phase 4 of the redevelopment, as well as changes to the proposal including the addition of a pedestrian bridge between Towers 4 and 5.

The podium is a bit of a bunker. I guess that's not unusual for a community centre. The off-axis tower is a nice touch, especially in the south core where basically every other building aligns with the street grid.

So, the recent height claim is getting interesting. I thought I should look into this Tallest Condo in Canada thing, so I'm adding this post to show what's clear now, and what's unclear.

Here's the top of The One:

View attachment 230666

You'll notice on the left above that the "TMD Roof" (that stands for Tuned Mass Damper) is at 305.6 metres. On the right, you'll see another 3000 millimetres are to be added for the top of the super-column structure, so a total of 308.6 metres, or 1,012' 5 ⅝".

The top of Pinnacle One Yonge's Sky Tower appears on its Architectural Plans on the City's site as below.

View attachment 230673

That "Top of Slab Mech Roof" is 383.7 metres. That's above sea level. It shouldn't technically say Slab Mech Roof though, it should say Screen, which the actual mechanical roof slab sits below by a few metres. Anyway, take away ground level of 76.8 metres and you get 306.9 metres to the top of the screen. So, that's 1.7 metres shorter than The One.

Thing is though that there's a tuned mass damper on the roof of this tower too, and we we can see it's 5.5 metres high, but we don't know exactly how far it sits above the screen… but using a ruler to compare heights on this not-legal-document, it appears that 2 metres of the TMD's 5.5 metre height are sticking out above the screen. That would make the height 308.9 metres, or basically 1 foot taller than The One.

However, when I approached Pinnacle's PR people about their claim today, they said that this tower is 313.4 metres tall. I have asked for documents to back up that claim. We shall see what we get, and I'll wait to make a change to the database file and the thread title until they've gotten back to us.

Way back in February, I posted the above when Pinnacle started claiming that this would be the tallest condo in Canada, and they claimed the tower would be 313.4 metres high, but they had only misread documents to back up their assertions.

Now, with the new SPA application in, the updated documents show what they are really shooting for. With a much taller upper section now to completely hide the building maintenance unit from view when retracted, the top of the parapet will be at 389.3 metres above sea level (the mechanical floor slab is still at 371 metres above sea level, as per one of the images above), so, subtract out the average grade of 76.8 metres, and you get 312.5 metres, or 1,025' 3" tall. That does make it taller than The One's 308.6 metres, or 1,012' 5 ⅝". That's shorter than the taller Mirvish Gehry tower, and shorter than 1200 Bay, but this one's heading for construction whereas those two aren't yet.

1YongePh2Top.jpg

BTW, the 80 storey tower has been adjusted from 263.3 metres up to 263.6 metres, so about a foot taller at 864' 10".

Database file and thread title updated!

Last edited:
I'm not exactly an expert on this topic, and this may seem like a dumb question, but are there any regulation or rule that is stopping them from having a few more floors? 95-stories is really close to the 3-digit mark, and wouldn't being the first building to reach 100-stories in Canada be a better record to hold, along with being one of the few in the world? Since you can't ever be surpassed for being the first to, but you can for being the tallest?

Why do they do above sea level for height when we are nowhere near the sea? It just seems to make more sense to me to measure height from the ground where the building is being built.
Also with global warming and sea level rise, who is to say what sea level will be in a few years or decades? Seems rather a strange baseline, but I suppose there isn't much else to use?

Why do they do above sea level for height when we are nowhere near the sea? It just seems to make more sense to me to measure height from the ground where the building is being built.

I am guessing it could be because all modern construction is aided by GNSS/GPS based instruments which are probably calibrated against a standard vertical position. The so called mean sea level, MSL, is a standard geo vertical model which itself is defined in terms of GNSS measurements.

Back