Toronto 1200 Bay | 326.5m | 87s | ProWinko | Herzog & de Meuron

I hope it's not another chapter of Toronto getting the world's best architects to build their least remarkable projects here.
I really hope not either, but it's not like Toronto aspires for architectural greatness anyways. At best, this city strives for mediocrity.

That reminds me, whatever happened to Brad Bradford's proposal to make developments not bland?

Uninspired. Is the height there just to try and impress? It's a corner location on major streets and adds nothing. So many people walk by there. I think the upper floors are just another safe location for the very well-off to bunker down.
*eyeroll* I suppose TD is just a big, black, box too?
Isn't this proposal to close to the 80 Bloor west proposal ? Or are they going to get rid of 80 Bloor to build this. I rather take the 80 Bloor over this long stick in the sky !! .
It is close, yes. I'd much rather this than that horrendous, unbuildable, bell-bottom, though.

Meh. The existing building is far more interesting and tasteful. If they retained the original building I wouldn't mind as much, as it is I hope this doesn't get built. Our stock of well designed concrete structures is getting smaller all the time, and the last thing we need is another glass box.

i think this is not the final design, this is just for massing. the final design will be definitely shorter than this and might get worse or might get better.

I'm not sure if I like this proposal, but I like that Toronto developers are now starting to more frequently test the waters on going further above 300m in height. I suspect this design will be cut down to 300m or so when all is said and done.

I have nothing wrong with the massing, given the constraints of the site, and I would be confident that a building of this calibre would use beautiful, high quality materials in the final design, but I see this development catering only to the extremely wealthy, which feels gross in light of the current recession.

Meh. The existing building is far more interesting and tasteful. If they retained the original building I wouldn't mind as much, as it is I hope this doesn't get built. Our stock of well designed concrete structures is getting smaller all the time, and the last thing we need is another glass box.

I'm not a fan of Brutalism, but I've always liked the present building.

If things progress they usually do, this proposal is bound to get shorter and less interesting.

It's likely not going to be that tall, just a couple of proposals that have been cut down short after the initial shock-n-awe.

TBH, a bit disappointed that this isn't as ambitious as other Herzog designs and seems to be more a vertical expression of the zoning code.

One of my favourite firms - look forward to seeing more detailed renders (typically where their work shines).

Yeah, still too early in the game to speculate how the design will evolve.
Though the renderings are placeholders, so far it’s a clean handsome tower with no distracting balconies or cliché details.
The retractable wooden shutters between the double facade are a nice touch and should provide some life to the building, but again, this feature may go away depending on how this project develops.

It's like a mini 432 Park Avenue.

Uninspired. Is the height there just to try and impress?

I suspect the height is there to satisfy demand. It's a highly desirable location and there are only so many lots in Yorkville. If they were proposing 424m, perhaps then one has to wonder what the motivation is.

So how tall will the final revision actually be? 299 meters?

I'm guessing 270 to 280 meters based on shadowing concerns considered for other tall buildings in the area (Four Seasons, 1 Yorkville, 1 Bloor West, 80 Bloor).

We're in the middle of a pandemic with a disease that appears (at a distance) to be impacted by vitamin D deficiency; the direct sunshine crowd has a big stick in their corner at the moment.

Last edited:

Back