News   Apr 25, 2024
 64     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I think people need to be clear on the reasons they disagree with the "plan".
1) technology choice (light rail, heavy rail, tram, metro)
2) routing
3) funding (or lack of) model
4) drawn by Ford
I think many of us have expressed all of our points but somehow if we didn't like the plan it always gets painted because Ford drew it. That isn't the case but people won't change their minds so I don't see the need in starting a circular conversing which will surely will end up in lefty bashing again.

3) but I will say if we had unlimited funds we wouldn't be debating and lines would have been built yesterday. So I think 3 is the biggest issue and if you really believe there is enough or will be enough funding for said projects.

2) routing
4) drawn by Ford
I disagree with building a subway under highway 27 lmao. I could go on, but why bother?

Just a little refresher on Rob Ford's 'subway' plans. This is the Rob/Doug Ford transit plan from their 2014 Mayoral campaign:

rob-doug-ford-subway-map.jpg

Was this made with Microsoft Paint?

I did like that the Sheppard Subway was going to be connected to Downsview (Now Sheppard West) and the extension east and he did try to bring back the Etobicoke RT.

If you like that I have an even better plan. Subways everywhere! That includes an extension from Downsview to Brampton. ;)

2) routing
4) drawn by Ford

I don't think it's a matter of disagreeing or agreeing with the plan, it's recognizing it isn't a plan at all.

If you like that I have an even better plan. Subways everywhere! That includes an extension from Downsview to Brampton. ;)

I don't think it's a matter of disagreeing or agreeing with the plan, it's recognizing it isn't a plan at all.
Any plans need funds or a funding strategy to consider it a realistic plan and not a fantasy (btw we have a fantasy thread where Rob Ford's napkin may have appropriately fit). If I just drive by the bridle path and tell my wife one day we will live here, based on my current finances, she would tell me to stop day dreaming. Me "No no honey trust me it's a plan". Wife " snap out of it and come back to reality."

2) routing
4) drawn by Ford

IMO, funding was the big problem, especially combined with the preference for the subway technology.

The routing was actually reasonable, and included the Relief Line.

But the price was clearly untenable, given that he ran for the Mayor and not for the provincial Premier. Remarkably, Doug's 2018 plan has much less km of subways than Rob/Doug 2014 plan, even though Doug can make use of the provincial bond-issuing power that the city Mayor obviously can't use.

"The Scarborough Subway Extension project (“SSE”) project is a fully underground extension of Toronto’s ‘Bloor-Danforth’ subway Line 2, from the existing terminal at Kennedy Station northeast to Sheppard Avenue and McCowan Road, spanning approximately 7.8 kilometres."

I guess this means they have absolutely no intention of exploring any above ground options?

Duh. Too much extra work, and we all knew they were full of crap. Let's just get the current plan with shovels in the ground soon.
I still think either rebuilding the RT or converting to LRT was a far better idea at a cheaper cost than this. But we're too far down to go back. At least the 3 stop proposal is better than the 1 stop proposal.

I still think either rebuilding the RT or converting to LRT was a far better idea at a cheaper cost than this. But we're too far down to go back. At least the 3 stop proposal is better than the 1 stop proposal.
Just waiting for the covid-19 excuses to come out. I'll believe this when I see it.

Back