News   Mar 28, 2024
 226     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 613     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 373     0 

GO Transit Electrification (Metrolinx, Proposed)

^ The RFP is still out. The next Metrolinx Board meeting is in June where in theory there should be a status update. I think that's about it.

The RFP is for "GO Expansion" formerly called GO Regional Express Rail (RER) and includes "electrification" (type to be decided by ProjectCo, the RFP winner) for "OnCorr". "OnCorr" are the designated portions of the GO Rail lines as set out in the EA/TPAP for OnCorr. There is an addendum to that EA/TPAP happening now.

Hope that helps and others can correct me if I got something wrong. @smallspy @crs1026

Update May 15/20...........Hungarian railways are starting the procurement process for 50 battery powered trains. They will be able {like all battery trains} be able to run on both the electrified and non-electrified lines and will be replacing the polluting diesels they have now. They will be used on the Budapest commuter/suburban routes. There will be 2 train types.............20 200 seat trains and 30 150 seat trains and both will have a range of up to 120 km at 100 km/hr. The larger trains will begin delivery by 2023 to 2025 while the shorter trains by 2029.

Want to hear the really pathetic thing? .......... the procurment is going out now and the award will be announced late August 2020. Makes you realise how ridiculously bureaucratic Metrolinx is.

^ what do you mean by "going out now"? The RFP was launched in March 2019.

^ what do you mean by "going out now"? The RFP was launched in March 2019.

Launched and every single company kicked it back saying they refused to bid on it as packaged.

Metrolinx is doing some more EAs to help remove choke points BUT they're also expected to package it into multiple smaller pieces or with Metrolinx taking some of the risk.

Launched and every single company kicked it back saying they refused to bid on it as packaged.

But ssiguy2 would have us believe this is all entirely due to Metrolinx's competence and not Canadian industry's risk appetite.

Metrolinx is doing some more EAs to help remove choke points BUT they're also expected to package it into multiple smaller pieces or with Metrolinx taking some of the risk.

^ The RFP is still out. The next Metrolinx Board meeting is in June where in theory there should be a status update. I think that's about it.

The RFP is for "GO Expansion" formerly called GO Regional Express Rail (RER) and includes "electrification" (type to be decided by ProjectCo, the RFP winner) for "OnCorr". "OnCorr" are the designated portions of the GO Rail lines as set out in the EA/TPAP for OnCorr. There is an addendum to that EA/TPAP happening now.

Hope that helps and others can correct me if I got something wrong. @smallspy @crs1026

I had completely forgot about this article form January.

I had completely forgot about this article form January.

It'll come back; it just won't be a the worlds largest DBFOM contract with stipulations that hitting operations targets determines whether the government pays them for construction of the $14B in capital pieces.

I expect Metrolinx will agree to pay for most non-proprietary pieces upfront such as track infrastructure, electrification, etc. Vendor specific capital items like rolling stock will be part of the operations payment.

Either that, or it'll get broken into 3+ individual pieces and 3 of the 4 qualified bidders will win a chunk; perhaps consolidating to a single operations company in 2060 when renewal comes up.

Last edited:
This sounds like a terrible idea on the face of it. Awarding a massive infrastructure project as a consolation prize......

I tend to agree. Offhand, I can't think of any city with several contracted private railway operators that ended well. London is a great example of where it failed pretty hard.

Hopefully the adjusted tender(s) work differently than that.

There are several examples of multiple bus operators in a region working well but there is a much lower barrier to entry for operating bus networks.

Whatever you think of the procurement process doesn't negate the fact that another city has decided to electrify it's system using battery trains.

I hate to ask this question as it probably can't be answered but.....when is Metrolinx actually going to make the decision on how it is going to proceed? I don't mean another pointless update" but rather a firm decision. When you consider how fast Montreal's REM got going, the amount of time it's taking Metrolinx is pretty damn embarrassing. Hell, Metrolinx hasn't even decided on the type of trains it's going to use.

Metrolinx is starting to run out of time. Yes the whole system doesn't have to be up and running until 2026 but of course that assumes that all the lines will be opening up in the same year which is pretty farcical. Ordering the trains, putting in the needed electrical infrastructure, training the personnel, the necessary storage and maintenance facilites etc.........these take a lot of time and none of them can go ahead until Metrolinc finally decides to bite the bullet and proclaim a winner to the tender.

Back