Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

On this different topic as I was walking around the city a lot of businesses especially restaurants and retails are out because of the virus. So you know who will be all over them now. The developers that want that piece of action and area.

These companies don't develop through luck. Allied and Hariri Pontarini both have great architectural track records because they have highly talented and skilled people applying those talents and skills building after building after building. RioCan does not yet have an architectural track record to boast about, so my money is on someone there pinching the pennies on cheaper glass with iron-oxide impurities in it (that make it green). I just cannot see them achieving the high-tech look that the cross-bracing is supposed to give the building when the glass uses a bottom-of-the-barrel formula.

Yeah I totally agree. I understand how this happened. I guess I meant that I too had high hopes and like u said I just can’t see them pulling off the high-tech look that I wanted to see here.
I get that luck isn’t really a factor.

A43EDEB3-4F19-4CB9-959E-10E8ACFA8F5C.gif

@TheWell

Last edited:
In the pics below, you can see that the "I-beam" along the side of the building doesn't seem to connect to anything, and has seams in line with the window joints where the segments are fitted together.
Likewise for the "I-beams" at the ends of the floors.
Real I-beams don't have seams like that.
The ends will look better when the cross braces are installed as those will sit away from the curtain wall and add some bulk and dimension.

PS - I wasn't definitive in my original statement - I was wondering if they will look that way.

Last edited:
Friday afternoon, May 1. Two photos. First, as can also be seen in some of Red Mars' photos, the first section of floor slab forming has now been moved up to start preparation for pouring of the 19th Floor slab. Soon the office tower will be half-way up above grade. The form section can be seen just to the right of the concrete pump mast. The second photo shows a good sized section of freshly poured south side podium floor slab.
20200501_160748.jpg

20200501_160738.jpg

I actually prefer the old office tower look, very reminiscent of 707 Fifth Street in Calgary, and the stale 102 Steet Centre proposal in Edmonton.

Now you can start to see the glazed windows of the tower having more of a mirror reflective look than the podium does. As seen in the photos up above!

We can also see how truly horrific the podium glass is, while the glass on the tower itself stands out pretty nicely.

Back