News   Apr 24, 2024
 21     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 448     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Received this from a forward yesterday... Construction at Eglinton and Bermondsey/Sloane. Workers indicated the construction is moving faster due to lack of traffic. Some good news I guessView attachment 240977
Yesterday was cold, but clear when I drove to work I can verify this. There were three separate pours going on in the one block (Vic Park to Bermondsey/Sloane) at 08:30AM. I think that contractors are using the low levels of traffic all over to do a ton of roadwork.

Metrolinx is "collectively working with the City of Toronto to identify potential opportunities where work may be accelerated". Perhaps following other smart cities to expedite their infrastructure projects: https://www.citylab.com/transportat...-repair-transit-construction-projects/609343/

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 2.15.12 PM.png

The main problem I see with shutting down Eglinton would be that in a lot of places, there really aren't a lot of alternative routes. Between Laird and Pharmacy, there are few to no parallel streets that can absorb any traffic, unless you go far out of your way. The most viable alternative for crossing the Don River would probably be Millwood Road and O'Connor Drive. In these times, the capacity is there, but I don't think Metrolinx likes the idea of redirecting people that far away.

The main problem I see with shutting down Eglinton would be that in a lot of places, there really aren't a lot of alternative routes. Between Laird and Pharmacy, there are few to no parallel streets that can absorb any traffic, unless you go far out of your way. The most viable alternative for crossing the Don River would probably be Millwood Road and O'Connor Drive. In these times, the capacity is there, but I don't think Metrolinx likes the idea of redirecting people that far away.

The only cut-and-cover done on Eglinton Avenue is at or around the future stations. The rest of bored. When they cut-and-cover the original Yonge subway, they had Bay Street and Church Street as alternate routes. Not available with Eglinton Avenue.

8f36-6101-2-350x277.jpg

8efe-6045-3.jpg

8ec9-6650-6.jpg

From link.

well to be fair we are under virtual lockdown orders except for essential errands. Whoever is driving when theyre not supposed to is at their own peril at this time so hopefully metrolinx will do the sensible thing and GZF to cars over the potential of clawing back prgress

^Just read an article about Florida’s Brightline which stated that their contractors have been able to add labour this month, because other construction in the state is curtailed by COVID, so people are available. Yeah, I know, Florida.... but I wonder if that is happening in Toronto.

- Paul

I hadn't heard they are changing station name from Cedarville to "Allen Rd & Eglinton". Has that already be posted here before?
They mention Cedarvale at 2:10 in the video. But I mean it's still a better than Cedarvale so I'm fine with the name change.
Anecdotal, but today there has been a noticeable uptick on workers and trucks on Eglinton, like higher than pre-COVID-19 levels.
Perhaps they are taking advantage of traffic levels to help speed up construction across the line.

^ Yeah they mention Cedarvale and mention the name change and display the text, then say Cedarvale again. Same. New name is better.

I went on the Metrolinx engage site for a look around and something caught my eye on the surface section.

"In regards to transit signal priority along the surface portion, there will be limited signal priority permitted by the City of Toronto. The limited priority for the Eglinton Crosstown is an ability to call for an extended greens for the through movements going east/west where trains are running behind schedule.
However, in general, light rail vehicles will follow the road signals — stopping at reds, waiting for the advance turns to finish and then proceeding on green."

Turns out there's limited to no signal priority on the surface section.

Last edited:
So much for the surface section being anything resembling rapid transit. It's like the City and Metrolinx are pretending that other cities across the country with LRT simply don't exist.

I went on the Metrolinx engage site for a look around and something caught my eye on the surface section.

"In regards to transit signal priority along the surface portion, there will be limited signal priority permitted by the City of Toronto. The limited priority for the Eglinton Crosstown is an ability to call for an extended greens for the through movements going east/west where trains are running behind schedule.
However, in general, light rail vehicles will follow the road signals — stopping at reds, waiting for the advance turns to finish and then proceeding on green."

Turns out there's limited to no signal priority on the surface section.

Translation: Don't blame Doug Ford for wanting to put transit underground. Blame the City, who can't get their stuff together.

- Paul

Back