Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I've been expecting LRT resurrection politics.

It certainly does have an LRT favouring.

Maybe economic stimulus funding after COVID-19 is over.

1586580532435.png

1586580509289.png

I am doubtful that the project will be reduced to a BRT, especially since the task force prefers the LRT and the fact that it will be the quickest option to get into construction. This whole cancellation debacle was definitely planned to leverage federal funding. We will probably also see the the Ford government modify minor details here and there to "improve" the project like they did with the HuLRT before it went into procurement.
If there isn't any money coming from the Feds, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up as articulated ebus BRT system. It achieves green transit at a lower cost but lacks future ridership growth. However it would allow a full line to be built oppose to a truncated LRT if money isn't there.

A city of Hamilton's size really should have at least one line of higher order transit - in this case, an LRT. Anything less would be a joke.

Don't get me started on London or Brampton.

Brampton seems perfect for BRT given how wide their arterial roads tend to be. With that said, the Hurontario LRT should go straight into downtown Brampton on Main Street to maximize its utility.

Nontheless (after the current priorities), I think that 2022-2023 politics will declare what our rapid transit system looks like.

We should begin soon with express bus upgrades -- so Feds should accelerate this:

This will tide us over in the meantime with the beginnings of a express bus-BLAST while #yesLRT #noLRT hammer out a detente on the flagship B-Line and A-Line.

Depending on the administration of 2022-2025 as well as COVID19 costs (i.e. priorities such as the introduction of a potentially necessary universal basic income system, which CERB may later turn into) -- if we're fiscally able to fund some necessary stimulus projects, it will likely turn into the cancel-and-expand politics that Ottawa pulled off through the last 2008 crisis. (Ottawa Opening reliability nonwithstanding). Although public transit is out of vogue at the moment, subways and LRTs provide easier social distancing, and these pandemics of this size is relatively rare (worst since 1918).

In other words, we might end up with an A+B LRT network -- like the BAT network I described earlier.

Last edited:
A city of Hamilton's size really should have at least one line of higher order transit - in this case, an LRT. Anything less would be a joke.

Don't get me started on London or Brampton.

Agreed. At least Hamilton will still probably get an LRT, given the fact that the city itself supports it. Anything less would be a poor decision.

London and Brampton need them even more badly than Hamilton, but do not deserve them due to the actions of their elected officials. Brampton had a fully funded HuLRT extension on the table, chose to vote it down, and are now begging to get that funding back. London shut down the LRT discussion before it even started and decided to go with a BRT, and continued to make poor decisions by chopping down their own network by 2 whole lines just to spite the student population.

Agreed. At least Hamilton will still probably get an LRT, given the fact that the city itself supports it. Anything less would be a poor decision.

London and Brampton need them even more badly than Hamilton, but do not deserve them due to the actions of their elected officials. Brampton had a fully funded HuLRT extension on the table, chose to vote it down, and are now begging to get that funding back. London shut down the LRT discussion before it even started and decided to go with a BRT, and continued to make poor decisions by chopping down their own network by 2 whole lines just to spite the student population.

Screw Brampton and London. They shouldn't be given any transit project funding whatsoever. Focus funding on those cities that actually have their priorities in order.

The way I see this going is grabs federal funding and gets built as planned. *maybe* they cut it back to Queenston Circle as a first phase like initially planned, but that just seems silly to me. Eastgate Square is the bus hub for Stoney Creek and anything short of that will require a complete redesign of the bus network and throw off bus operations.

Screw Brampton and London. They shouldn't be given any transit project funding whatsoever. Focus funding on those cities that actually have their priorities in order.

How long should that last though? The current term of Council voted in favour of Main LRT? There's also the Queen - Highway Seven BRT proposal that partially runs through Vaughan. So would Vaughan be impacted by your embargo?

Top LIUNA executive Joe Mancinelli has told Minister of Infrastructure and Communities Catherine McKenna that the federal government should support shovel-ready projects like Hamilton’s proposed LRT build as it prepares plans to kick-start the national economy into a post-COVID-19 recovery.

Back