Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I heard that construction on the tower will stop. Only the area around the bus terminal will continue as it's transportation-related but people are saying construction will continue on the whole tower because of the bus terminal exemption. Can anyone shed more light on this?
Well, the construction IS continuing on the tower so I guess we will just need to wait and see if it continues. They may be able, at least, to get the building fully enclosed.

I'm glad something very substantial is "bridging the gap" (search UT archives) but of course this is more a gift to CIBC south and eventually north employees.. not really a transformative new connection in the pubilc realm.
Just the existence of a pedestrian passageway over the rail corridor provided by private sector development is gift enough!

Superior means of reaching the South Core and Waterfront for pedestrians at no cost to the public? I will definitely take this.

Just the existence of a pedestrian passageway over the rail corridor provided by private sector development is gift enough!

Superior means of reaching the South Core and Waterfront for pedestrians at no cost to the public? I will definitely take this.
I'll go up there when I want a view, but I won't "take it" to cross the tracks when I'm trying to get from point A to point B. With all the ascending and descending one will have to do, this isn't really on the route to anywhere, it's a destination. There'll be lots of curiosity when it opens that will pull more people up there than those wanting to stay for a while, but as a way to cross the rail tracks, its use is going to be quite limited.

That depends on how rushed you are. I often choose the more scenic route.

I suppose the big problem in addition to ascending/descending is going to be public awareness that this route exists once it opens.

That depends on how rushed you are. I often choose the more scenic route.

I suppose the big problem in addition to ascending/descending is going to be public awareness that this route exists once it opens.
It took ages for the PATH from Union south through Scotia Bank Arena etc to Waterfront to be discovered but is now (in normal times) quite busy. In due course there will (or may?) be a direct link to the Streetcar in the CIBC building basement too and, of course, the PATH will go much further east too, I think the 'rule' is: "Build it and they will, eventually, come."

Impossible not to take a pic of it on a bright, clear day.

6C1061A3-276D-4F31-9F4B-6F8358BCF2BC.jpeg

Potentially dumb question, as I don't live in Toronto anymore and don't follow things way too closely - is the second CIBC square tower being built?

Potentially dumb question, as I don't live in Toronto anymore and don't follow things way too closely - is the second CIBC square tower being built?
Yes they will start construction of the second tower as soon as the GO Buses move from their current location to the new Terminal in Tower 1

Last edited:

Back