Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

If done properly you could technically have the LRTs run with buses like in a mixed-traffic situation, albeit just with transit vehicles.

It would mean that the system could not be driverless however.

That being said, the LRT would replace a lot of the buses that go the whole route of the Transitway. You wouldnt be pushing those buses back onto the 403... they simply wouldnt exist anymore.

A GO/city bus from the west would just terminate at Winston Churchill and youd transfer to the LRT.

Yup, there's nothing stopping LRT tracks from being laid in a road. Buses run overtop of streetcar tracks in Toronto all the time. At stations, the tracks would pull into the right lane to allow the trains to service the station, while the bypass lane would be a bus lane only. That's only if you need to maintain through bus service though.

Your 2nd point is also quite valid. The configuration I envision is LRT east of Square One, and BRT west of it. Bus service from the western half of Mississauga and Halton Region (and potentially further afield if you're talking about GO) would all terminate at Square One. Build a proper transfer facility there, where people can make that bus <-> rail transfer easily.

People need to stop thinking of BRT --> LRT as a linear advancement of service improvement.

BRT such as the Mississauga Transitway can be quicker, more frequent, and allow for wider range of bus route configurations as innsertnamehere alluded to.

There is nothing wrong with a transfer at Renforth, if a worker residing in Square One intends to travel to Pearson for instance.

Plus operationally, I don't know if we would want the Eglinton Crosstown to get so long.

Im not even THAT upset about the portion underground until Martin Grove.

But the section from Martin Grove to Renforth? Are you kidding me? There is literally nothing there. It makes 0 sense to be underground.

I wish they'd revert back to the Network 2011 alignment for west of Martin Grove, have the line go up the hydro corridor to have stops at Atwell-Skyway (Highway 27) and at Carlingview before Pearson Terminal 1 THEN follow the Silver Dart/Renforth alignment back down to Commerce (Renforth Stn) and continue the LRT tracks along the Mississauga Transitway to Square One/Winston Churchill. Cross-Regional Transit at its finest.

subway-5111-03.jpg

People need to stop thinking of BRT --> LRT as a linear advancement of service improvement.

BRT such as the Mississauga Transitway can be quicker, more frequent, and allow for wider range of bus route configurations as innsertnamehere alluded to.

There is nothing wrong with a transfer at Renforth, if a worker residing in Square One intends to travel to Pearson for instance.

Plus operationally, I don't know if we would want the Eglinton Crosstown to get so long.

There could be overlapping branches of service during peak hours and through-ride service during off peak hours.

Ideally 3 routes:

LINE 5 A = Winston Churchill to Kennedy

LINE 5 B = Malvern Town Centre to Mt Dennis

LINE 5 = Winston Chrchill to Malvern Town Centre (after 7pm)

(There could also be a short turn version from Mt Dennis to Science Centre)

Im not even THAT upset about the portion underground until Martin Grove.

But the section from Martin Grove to Renforth? Are you kidding me? There is literally nothing there. It makes 0 sense to be underground.
I think Renforth is to be a surface stop like in the EA. The portal would probably be around or after the Highway 427/401 interchange.

I think this is more a discussion of "where is the best location to make that transfer". To me, Renforth is a lot like Kennedy or Don Mills - it's midway along a desire route, and as a result forces a lot of un-necessary linear transfers. At least if that transfer point is moved back to Square One, it's a big enough destination that a sizable percentage of the trips into there will actually be terminating there.

Anything West of Martin Grove tunnelled underground is criminally irresponsible use of government funds.
It would be cheaper to just build higher hydro towers so they can fit the tracks on an elevated guideway under the hydro towers. I think no want wants to deal with the hydro companies.

I think Renforth is to be a surface stop like in the EA. The portal would probably be around or after the Highway 427/401 interchange.
I suspect the portal would be off road near Renforth Station. Judging by the IBC claiming they can operate ATO between Renforth and Laird, they avoid any traffic crossing right up to Renforth station. The map shows the tunnel starts right at Renforth Rd (the station is west of the road named Renforth). They'll likely do what they did with Mt Dennis and build an off-street surface station instead of an on-street stop. I think this would be the right choice to have an environment protected station at this busy hub than having people jaywalk in large groups transferring between the transitway and LRT by running across the roadway.

If that much of the whole line is going to be underground they should have made it a subway. Or at least one of those lower capacity new metros..

Blame David Miller and his stubborn headedness for that one. We paid in excess of $400 million per kilometre for a glorified streetcar tunnel. My head hurts thinking about it.

Blame David Miller and his stubborn headedness for that one. We paid in excess of $400 million per kilometre for a glorified streetcar tunnel. My head hurts thinking about it.
I mean, when David Miller was Mayor, no dunces had sold off the Richview corridor for stupid townhomes yet. Extension could have continued at-grade with ease.

^ Couldn't it still continue with relative easy even with the sell off for townhomes? What specific consequence was there? Isn't there still enough room? I'm just not that familiar with this specific location so open to hearing more.

Back