Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I wouldn't be surprised if all construction sites soon shut down. They're reporting that tiny airborne droplets of the virus can still survive for up to three hours. So in theory you could be working outside on a construction site, ten feet away from other construction workers, and still contract it if you're not wearing a mask.

I'd like to comment on this as a physician working the front lines of this pandemic. The study showing that aerosolized COVID-19 can be viable for up to 3 hours, although decreasing in viability exponentially, was done from a lab created aerosol. The purpose of this was to illustrate that medical procedures that can aerosolize patient infected fluids need to be done in a negative pressure rooms with all medical personnel in the procedure room fully equipped with protective equipment. This is an artificial situation, there is no evidence that someone infected with COVID-19 will aerosolize COVID-19. The current evidence is that infected persons will infect others through droplets when coughing/sneezing, direct contact with others and when other people come into contact with the surfaces that an infected person touched with contaminated fluids. Droplets do not have the same dynamics as aerosols.

Furthermore, The NEJM study showed COVID-19 was still viable 72 hours after it was applied to plastic and stainless steel, although the volume of virus decreased exponentially over time. On copper, there was no viable COVID-19 after 4 hours, on cardboard there was no viable SRS-CoV-2 virus after 24 hours. Thus the kind of guidance that we’re giving about washing hands and wiping surfaces is likely to be very good advice.

Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently. Continue to practice social distancing, stay safe.

Sorry about the off topic comment.

addendum. COVID-19 aka SRS-CoV-2, sorry if any confusion, the acronyms are interchangeable.

Last edited:
I'd like to comment on this as a physician working the front lines of this pandemic. The study showing that aerosolized COVID-19 can be viable for up to 3 hours, although decreasing in viability exponentially, was done from a lab created aerosol. The purpose of this was to illustrate that medical procedures that can aerosolize patient infected fluids need to be done in a negative pressure rooms with all medical personnel in the procedure room fully equipped with protective equipment. This is an artificial situation, there is no evidence that someone infected with COVID-19 will aerosolize COVID-19. The current evidence is that infected persons will infect others through droplets when coughing/sneezing, direct contact with others and when other people come into contact with the surfaces that an infected person touched with contaminated fluids. Droplets do not have the same dynamics as aerosols.

Furthermore, The NEJM study showed COVID-19 was still viable 72 hours after it was applied to plastic and stainless steel, although the volume of virus decreased exponentially over time. On copper, there was no viable COVID-19 after 4 hours, on cardboard there was no viable SRS-CoV-2 virus after 24 hours. Thus the kind of guidance that we’re giving about washing hands and wiping surfaces is likely to be very good advice.

Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently. Continue to practice social distancing, stay safe.

In these crazy times it’s very on topic.

Thank you for your service!

AoD

I'd like to comment on this as a physician working the front lines of this pandemic.

sir salute to u and all the people working on the front lines of this pandemic. thanks!
salute.jpg

sir salute to u and all the people working on the front lines of this pandemic. thanks!
Very much agreed. Thank you, Benito. And let's not forget less glamorous, but vital, jobs, such as grocery store employees, who are working feverishly to keep the rest of us supplied with victuals.

Haven't been on this thread for awhile. When in March did construction resume? Has the stop work order be lifted? Are they still only allowed to do the below ground work?

Haven't been on this thread for awhile. When in March did construction resume? Has the stop work order be lifted? Are they still only allowed to do the below ground work?
They currently have a permit to complete below-grade work and the expectation is that the aboveground permit will be issued before that's complete (last I heard). Not sure the exact day they resumed work as there was a trickle of workers on the site but within the last two weeks.

They currently have a permit to complete below-grade work and the expectation is that the aboveground permit will be issued before that's complete (last I heard). Not sure the exact day they resumed work as there was a trickle of workers on the site but within the last two weeks.
Hmm what permits, Isn't Toronto City Hall closed down?

It's my understanding that it's still business as usual.

Planning is more or less completely shut down from my understanding, though I'm not sure about the building department. The city is not currently accepting new development applications nor is it processing any as only managers have remote server access.

That said, if the building department can't currently issue permits, they can't enforce stop work orders either... different risks for that though.

Planning is more or less completely shut down from my understanding, though I'm not sure about the building department. The city is not currently accepting new development applications nor is it processing any as only managers have remote server access.

That said, if the building department can't currently issue permits, they can't enforce stop work orders either... different risks for that though.
So what does the city do now with issuing the proper permits to have The One go ahead
shut their eyes in these tough times and let them go ahead or stop the construction until this pandemic expires and City Hall reopens?

Back