News   Apr 17, 2024
 622     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Once upon a time, ML predicted westbound ridership approaching Eglinton would reach 12,000 pphpd by 2041. Now it's only 6,000 pphpd. Tells us how much to trust these numbers.
12k was when Eglinton was grade-separated through Scarborough.
Your saying now the prediction is 6k (from page 51 of the IBC).
This is correct, because now Eglinton is on-street.
This is likely more confirmation on how stupid of an idea it was to go away from the Ford-McGuinty compromise.

12k was when Eglinton was grade-separated through Scarborough.
Your saying now the prediction is 6k (from page 51 of the IBC).
This is correct, because now Eglinton is on-street.
This is likely more confirmation on how stupid of an idea it was to go away from the Ford-McGuinty compromise.

I don't get why you keep going on about this, the plan was not just the Eglinton SRT corridor, cancelling the Ford McGunity plan saved the Finch, Sheppard, and SRT extension LRT's, those extra riders on Eglinton are already taking the Bloor-Danforth Subway, they are on rapid transit already.

I don't get why you keep going on about this, the plan was not just the Eglinton SRT corridor, cancelling the Ford McGunity plan saved the Finch, Sheppard, and SRT extension LRT's, those extra riders on Eglinton are already taking the Bloor-Danforth Subway, they are on rapid transit already.
I was clarifying for @Steve X . How could projected ridership drop by 50%?
I had to point out to him that it's not the modelling that's changing. It's that we changed from a good plan to a bad one.

I was clarifying for @Steve X . How could projected ridership drop by 50%?
I had to point out to him that it's not the modelling that's changing. It's that we changed from a good plan to a bad one.
It wasn't a good projection at all. That assumes that riders do stay on the LRT oppose to transferring at Kennedy. It sounds fine till riders realize they would have to stand in crush load for 15 minutes instead of 5 if they got on at Bloor. That doesn't sound comfortable and thus the ridership wouldn't have reach 12k. Just as TTC has once predicted a lot more people would take Line 4 instead of heading to Finch.

Also to point out that it competes with Line 2 and that isn't near capacity. Money is better spent elsewhere. Since Line 5 has a lower capacity, it would be better to keep the unnecessary riders on Line 2 and save the space for those who actually need it (west of Science Centre Station). The Scarborough subway would keep the riders on Line 2 and they could transfer to the Ontario Line at Pape.

It wasn't a good projection at all. That assumes that riders do stay on the LRT oppose to transferring at Kennedy. It sounds fine till riders realize they would have to stand in crush load for 15 minutes instead of 5 if they got on at Bloor. That doesn't sound comfortable and thus the ridership wouldn't have reach 12k. Just as TTC has once predicted a lot more people would take Line 4 instead of heading to Finch.

Also to point out that it competes with Line 2 and that isn't near capacity. Money is better spent elsewhere. Since Line 5 has a lower capacity, it would be better to keep the unnecessary riders on Line 2 and save the space for those who actually need it (west of Science Centre Station). The Scarborough subway would keep the riders on Line 2 and they could transfer to the Ontario Line at Pape.
Kind of similar to Finch, at Science Centre station, at least riders will get the chance to get on a train (before it's filled to crush load). At Pape, they might face a similar situation as Bloor-Yonge.
Of course everything changes if/when the OL is extended north from Eglinton.

My understanding is that at rush hour line 2 is at capacity and its normal to be standing. This was pretty much the case when I took it 10 years ago

Last edited:
My understanding is that at rush hour line 2 is at capacity and its normal not to be standing. This was pretty much the case when I took it 10 years ago
If something is at capacity, it is full. If it is full, then the seats are full. If the seats are full, then I am standing. Something does not read properly in the statement above.

My understanding is that at rush hour line 2 is at capacity and its normal not to be standing. This was pretty much the case when I took it 10 years ago

Passengers standing does not mean the line is full, even if there is not room for more standing passengers now, new trains and signaling will increase capacity in the future.

If everyone can get on during times without any delays, it's not at capacity. Line 2 is not at capacity if they can operate proper service.

If something is at capacity, it is full. If it is full, then the seats are full. If the seats are full, then I am standing. Something does not read properly in the statement above.
Yeah, I fixed that. It's been normal that you can't get on trains because they are full during rush hour from what I've read here and Steve Munro's site.

Back