News   Apr 19, 2024
 471     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 819     3 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Star has endorsed Del Duca.

I will give him credit, he has run a well-organized campaign, grass-roots up. Obviously helps to have considerable developer family wealth to back you, but I am really not surprised that he is the front-runner with some distance between him and second place.

I just also am near sure that he will fail to inspire the electorate in the next provincial election.

The Star Editorial Board would endorse a rabid possum if it ran under the Liberal banner.

The Star has endorsed Del Duca.

I will give him credit, he has run a well-organized campaign, grass-roots up. Obviously helps to have considerable developer family wealth to back you, but I am really not surprised that he is the front-runner with some distance between him and second place.

I just also am near sure that he will fail to inspire the electorate in the next provincial election.
Is he likable at all? More troublingly- does his prominence indicate that the 'old boys' are still in control (like in the Federal Liberals), and that the party hasn't really changed at all?

Honestly at this point a strong PC minority government would not be out of the question in the next election- or perhaps more shockingly- a NDP minority government.

Is he likable at all? More troublingly- does his prominence indicate that the 'old boys' are still in control (like in the Federal Liberals), and that the party hasn't really changed at all?

Honestly at this point a strong PC minority government would not be out of the question in the next election- or perhaps more shockingly- a NDP minority government.
He seems personable on an individual level from what I can tell from social media. I am not sure if that equates to likable and inspirational on a province-wide electoral scale.

Everyone I know who has met Kathleen Wynne personally had nothing but great things to say about her on a personal level, and yet her approval rating...

Assuming Del Duca wins, it will be interesting to see how quickly he runs in an open seat.

Kathleen Wynne might resign from Don Valley West, which is a very safe Liberal seat, especially with the Liberals polling much better than they did in 2018.

Also, party leaders don’t get paid unless they are also an MPP, unless the caucus gives them a stipend.

Last edited:
Not everyone follows politics w/the intensity that many of us do here.

That said, I think the public generally picks up vibes.........be they good or bad; steadfast, principled, honest; or corrupt, incompetent and mean etc.

In the case of Del Duca, he is best known for the GO station in the middle of nowhere, which certainly gave the appearance of corruption, whether or not it substantively met that bar.

The second thing he was known for was announcements about announcements; which is to say, I think most people remember....."Isn't that the guy who held a media event to announce a Tim Horton's at a GO Stn?"

I can't say that I can place a single popular program as having originated with him; or a single trait that really stands out in his favour.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my sense is that his is a poor candidacy for the Liberals, if victory in the next election is what's desired.

Last edited:
Yes, he was the worst at announcing re-announcements, or ribbon-cuttings for the most trivial things.

42601A4B-E05E-4263-83BB-CDF7D89BA3E6.jpeg

Last edited:
In case anyone still thought there was any sense to Del Duca becoming the Liberal leader..........

Genius, built a pool in his backyard without the required permits, too close to the lot line, and is now asking for a landswap w/the TRCA in order to make his pool legal.

The TRCA is considering it.

Without seeing the detailed offer I can't intelligently comment, but it does seem plausible this will end up being an ok deal from a conservation perspective.

But even if it does; that doesn't rectify the sense of entitlement and poor judgement involved.

Whatever happened to Gerard Kennedy? Boy did he disappear from public life fast, esp. considering he was the Liberal poster boy a couple of decades ago.

In case anyone still thought there was any sense to Del Duca becoming the Liberal leader..........

Genius, built a pool in his backyard without the required permits, too close to the lot line, and is now asking for a landswap w/the TRCA in order to make his pool legal.

Without seeing the detailed offer I can't intelligently comment, but it does seem plausible this will end up being an ok deal from a conservation perspective.

But even if it does; that doesn't rectify the sense of entitlement and poor judgement involved.

Never change, Del Duca!

Whatever happened to Gerard Kennedy? Boy did he disappear from public life fast, esp. considering he was the Liberal poster boy a couple of decades ago.

I heard from a Liberal friend that he was actively vying for the federal Liberal nomination in Parkdale High Park in 2015 but the party brass wanted a fresh face.

Nothing about the landswap seems unreasonable or unprecedented. These types of negotiations with TRCA happen all the time with both private developers and Infrastructure Ontario/MTO/Metrolinx.

Nothing about the landswap seems unreasonable or unprecedented. These types of negotiations with TRCA happen all the time with both private developers and Infrastructure Ontario/MTO/Metrolinx.

Did you miss the part where he built the pool without the required permits?

That he's attempting to legalize it after the fact.

Further as someone who works with (not for) the TRCA on a semi-regular basis, I would say swaps like this one are incredibly rare.

The merits of this particular swap I can't debate, because I haven't see the technical reports covering land area, vegetation type etc. Nor do I have an understanding of who will take on the costs of moving any fence or carrying out restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back