Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Union is also high volume so escalators are a bad idea. For smaller low volume stations like in the burbs it is fine but at the busiest station in the network not so much.

They aren't higher volume than Y+B. The only remotely justifiable reason is probably inadequate platform capacity (which wasn't acknowledged as an issue for the longest time) in general.

AoD

Last edited:
They aren't higher volume than Y+B. The only remotely justifiable reason is probably inadequate platform capacity (which wasn't acknowledged as an issue for the longest time) in general.

AoD

I have been led to believe that escalators are being 'considered' as part of the platform widening project. Whether they proceed w/them is a different question altogether.

AoD
Triple the platform width, double the vertical access, implment level boarding, and add a fully covered roof can increase capacity and allow for escalators.

Union is also high volume so escalators are a bad idea. For smaller low volume stations like in the burbs it is fine but at the busiest station in the network not so much.
When they move towards more of a metro frequency service, escalators shouldn't be a problem. If Tokyo (station) can do it, I don't see how Union (with improvements to platforms width) can't.

Could it be the escalator avoidance is the same issue as the elevator issue in Ontario; there's a huge shortage of maintenance and repair people for them and it's very expensive to contract for repairs out of warranty? Transit agencies also appear to not approve at all of people walking on escalators that are shut off pending maintenance and rope them off, so you lose all the capacity when it's down and that causes huge platform backlogs. You can't have an escalator as a critical piece of infrastructure to move crowds when it takes a week to get it back in service every time it goes down.

Last edited:
@union2pearson , The Tim Hortons building application has now been updated with the words "Great Hall" (and has been refused yesterday).
Can you comment as to where exactly this is?

1582644759492.png

@union2pearson , The Tim Hortons building application has now been updated with the words "Great Hall" (and has been refused yesterday).
Can you comment as to where exactly this is?

View attachment 233162

IIRC this is on the north side of the Great Hall. A restuarant was intended for the space and quite frankly I'm glad it's not a Tim's.

IIRC this is on the north side of the Great Hall. A restuarant was intended for the space and quite frankly I'm glad it's not a Tim's.

Yeah, me to.

According to this image:
unionretailuppernov2016-jpg.66335

Unit # 201 is in the far south west corner of the station. I can see the desire to not have that area taken over by a tim hortons crowd.

Last edited:
Yeah, me to.

According to this image:
unionretailuppernov2016-jpg.66335

Unit # 201 is in the far south west corner of the station. I can see the desire to not have that area taken over by a tim hortons crowd.

Now that I see the map I can see why tims would want to go there.

It is the corner closest to the arena. Perfect for catching the crowds

Yeah, that map places 201 in the Bay Concourse, not the Great Hall as the proposal indicates.

Either way, regardless of the location, I'm happy to see it refused. Tim Hortons needs to go away.

Back