News   Mar 28, 2024
 116     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 179     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 250     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Today, 336 Spadina. Old sign uncovered during renovation.

View attachment 229212

I noticed that and photographed it a couple of weekends ago too. I like that there are signs for "Alice Hair Salon" on the same building in the right of the photo and up high (out of frame).

The "Discos, cigarros, refrescos, e ???? de Bois(?)" is such a nice detail too.

This 1912 photograph looking north on Yonge at Birch Ave., shows the street before it was excavated to provide a sloping pathway to an underpass for the railway line.
Yonge & Birch. looking north c.1912.jpg

It's evident in this current view of the same building (looking south to the underpass), that the basement of the building has now become a street-level entrance. Architecture is altered to accommodate the drop in street level.
Yonge-Birch looking S.jpg

A contributor to this thread in the past - 'JTCunningham' - has passed away.

Toronto Police are looking for his next of kin.

John was often seen around St. Lawrence antique market and was a character in dress but always level headed and nice. I had coffee with him a couple times years ago but he never mentioned any personal details of his life.

Rest in Peace John.

Hey boys and girls, it's back-in-time menu night. Imagine your spending power with the money you make now if meal prices like these prices were still effective.:)
Sea Hi Restaurant. Former 182 Dundas W. location in July 2009.

DSCF1139.jpg

Existing 3645 Bathurst Street location.

DSCF1982.jpg

DSCF1020.jpg

DSCF1021.jpg

DSCF1022.jpg

This evening I was at Sea-Hi Chinese Restaurant at 3645 Bathurst Street . The staff said that the owners were retiring and that the restaurant was closing on February 29, 2020.

Thank you Jarndyce. End of an era for Sea-Hi.. funny, my parents never took us there when we were kids (1960s). Families of Chinese descent would be found eating at Kwong Chow (now Yueh Tung), or Sai Woo (long gone). Sea-Hi (and Lichee Gardens (also long gone)and Nanking on Elizabeth) were not patronized by our group. China House (gone) on Eglinton West managed to appeal to our group as well as the Lo Fan; many Jewish.

So whats left if you like this kind of food and ambience? House of Chan. Hong Kong Gardens. I've never been to either. Any others?

Note to self: tell the father-in-law to continue to hang onto to those old menus.

Back