News   Apr 16, 2024
 197     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 686     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 477     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I wish they would just tear down the school as well as York centre and upzone the area for 40 floor condos with community centres, schools, libraries on the bottom. The area needs a huge influx of people.
I've had similar thoughts in the past. Partner with that rental apartment complex along Greentree Crescent, demolish the whole area and rebuild, relocating the school further north, revamping Coronation Park next-door to provide duo-public and school athletic facilities for an efficient use of space, and build high density near Eglinton (and mid-density up to Yorktown Drive).

Fairly sure that this school, York Centre, and the surrounding buildings would constitute as heritage (not undeservedly) though.

I've had similar thoughts in the past. Partner with that rental apartment complex along Greentree Crescent, demolish the whole area and rebuild, relocating the school further north, revamping Coronation Park next-door to provide duo-public and school athletic facilities for an efficient use of space, and build high density near Eglinton (and mid-density up to Yorktown Drive).

Fairly sure that this school, York Centre, and the surrounding buildings would constitute as heritage (not undeservedly) though.
actually there are rumblings that the entire area up to the eglinton don mills zone will be classified as heritage....while I do welcome the significant landmarks, work down or just garbage buildings would be
barricaded behind a wall of red tape now if they want to redevelop....

actually there are rumblings that the entire area up to the eglinton don mills zone will be classified as heritage....while I do welcome the significant landmarks, work down or just garbage buildings would be
barricaded behind a wall of red tape now if they want to redevelop....

The City has far more “Heritage District” proposals lined up on paper than it will ever have time and resources to carry out.

Even if it were to happen, one of the first steps in a Heritage District study is to sort out which structures matter and which don’t.

- Paul

Why close the subway all the way up to Sheppard for work on the Crosstown, so trains will only go from Finch to Sheppard and back again.

Why close the subway all the way up to Sheppard for work on the Crosstown, so trains will only go from Finch to Sheppard and back again.

Because Lawrence has substandard bus facilities and will likely have the power cut there if Eglinton also has it cut (the general rule is power cut as far as one station away on either side)

York Mills has a pocket track and not entirely suitable for turnbacks anymore. They can do it but it is not practical.

Sheppard has a crossover, it connects to the Sheppard subway and has adequate space for a turnback shuttle service.

Because Lawrence has substandard bus facilities and will likely have the power cut there if Eglinton also has it cut (the general rule is power cut as far as one station away on either side)

York Mills has a pocket track and not entirely suitable for turnbacks anymore. They can do it but it is not practical.

Sheppard has a crossover, it connects to the Sheppard subway and has adequate space for a turnback shuttle service.

Actually, they have and will continue to use the pocket track at York Mills for turnbacks.

But they can't for this round of Crosstown closures, as part of the work going on involves stringing up wires for the ATC system up to Lawrence and points north, and trackwork at the north end of the pocket track south of York Mills.

Dan

Where did I read that ATC was a joke, or the way we are doing it is. Something about wasting millions on the wires setup? Any truth to this?

Where did I read that ATC was a joke, or the way we are doing it is. Something about wasting millions on the wires setup? Any truth to this?

So you wish the TTC to continue to use outdated telephone lines and punched cards as well?

How far back in time, do you want to go?

The original plan for the ATC/ATO system was as an overlay over a brand new fixed block signal system - replacing the original system which mostly dates back to the launch of the subway system - starting with the stretch from Eglinton to Union.

It was soon realized that this was a bit of a silly idea, and they did cancel the project after about 2 years of work. But that was also 3 or so years ago.

As for the ATC/ATO system itself, it's construction and implementation seems to be going about as smoothly or more so as any other installation as a replacement system previously.

Dan

Back