Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

But with grocery pickup, you don’t need the store that won’t be there. It’s a block away. Nuts to that. I wanna grab it on the way home. The day has been long enough.

Yes but there is a reason there are not many of them around. They are not practical for a number of reasons.

Most grocery stores ask that you pick it up at a proper grocery store that already has refrigeration systems, etc.

God I wish we had M&S Simply Food here. Or at least an actual equivalent, in terms of the sheer variety and quality of premade food they offer.

If I had access to some of those M&S Bramley Apple mini pies at Union, I'd eat 4 of those damn things every train ride and I'd gain 50 lbs in a month. I grew up with the Oshawa Centre's M&S food line being served by my Brit parents at teatime, and even though M&S is long gone from Canada I still crave those weird & fussy little British desserts.

But with grocery pickup, you don’t need the store that won’t be there. It’s a block away. Nuts to that. I wanna grab it on the way home. The day has been long enough.
I think GO would rather have passengers pickup groceries at their destination station rather than have groceries taking up space on a rush hour train.

From G&M website:

Bondf.jpg

I think GO would rather have passengers pickup groceries at their destination station rather than have groceries taking up space on a rush hour train.

So would the grocery retailers (logistics in Oakville, Aldershot, etc. combined are still significantly easier than managing big retail at Bay/Front), and the customers (frozen goods for 30 minutes on the train, then hauling ~30lbs of bags to your car?).

These deliveries average around $75. They're doing a twice weekly shop, not grabbing a couple items.

Last edited:
View attachment 225763View attachment 225764The last surviving old bay concourse tiles are in the via concourse it’s like stepping into a time capsule

I find them distinctive yet grungy. It really shows the 1970's design influence and it is not pretty. The weird thing is that these staircases are part of the VIA concourse and were never redone when they redid the departures area. It leads me to wonder if they are done with the VIA area yet.

I find them distinctive yet grungy. It really shows the 1970's design influence and it is not pretty. The (weird ) thing is that these staircases are (part of the) directly adjacent to the VIA concourse and were never redone when they redid the departures area. It leads me to wonder if they are done with the VIA area yet.

Fixed that (in red) and I think they are seen as being part of the GO part of the station and will be redone as they finish off the Bay concourse and all the stairs.

Fixed that (in red) and I think they are seen as being part of the GO part of the station and will be redone as they finish off the Bay concourse and all the stairs.

For once I would like ONE entity to control everything, every aspect of the station from GO transit to VIA rail. I get they're separate companies but there in situations like this it is best to have one overriding authority saying this is what is to be done rather than 3 people doing three different things.

For once I would like ONE entity to control everything, every aspect of the station from GO transit to VIA rail. I get they're separate companies but there in situations like this it is best to have one overriding authority saying this is what is to be done rather than 3 people doing three different things.

Careful what you wish for, because that one overriding authority probably would be Metrolinx.

Hey modern man..this commuter starts downtown and works in the outer suburbs. Downtown is the destination each night. ;)
Same here (I commute to London, ON), but any grocery store in Union would probably be way overpriced. It's probably less expensive just to hop on the subway up to College park where there's a Sobeys, Metro, and Loblaws.

There is. It's the City of Toronto. They own the station.

Dan

Yes but I meant one overriding organization in control rather than Metrolinx or VIA having final say over their own sections.

It's easier to have a uniform station rather than different design ideas across the board.

Back