Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

No, not at all. You must have me confused with someone else.
Sorry. My fault. This is the result of subways subways subways. I live on Eglinton and was happy with the lrt. Truthfully I'll be happier now that it's tunnelled. But it's a waste of money and money which could have gone to the OL Which needs more money and I'll never use. Well it's a victory for the suburbs. Tunnelled where it's not needed and elevated where it should be tunnelled. Take that elites.

I don't think anything was locked down. The city esentially [sic] relinquished control of the project when they handed it over to the province as part of the "transit deal".

From what I can tell this October 15, 2019 update is the text below most recent public update?

Also, there was this in the conclusion of this from April 3, 2019, so it's not as recent as the October 15, 2019 update:

Metrolinx and the GTAA continue to study options for the Airport Segment on the extension. Metrolinx also continues to study alternative project concepts for the Toronto Segment of the EWLRT, which may include concepts already studied by the City or variations on those concepts, and is evaluating potential regional benefits of the project.

Again, given the tunnel was still being "reviewed" in October 2019, should Verster's comment of tunneling contracts for 2019 for Eglinton West mean that they will soon released finalized plans?

1579123925907.png

1579123953865.png

If we're lucky it'll be cut and cover.
We're talking about the City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario, does anything that either party does with respect to transit ever make any sense? The province is going to go with the most expensive form of tunneling possible: tunnel boring to the deepest level possible.

But heck, it would be so much cheaper to just expropriate the lands the city sold along Eglinton and trench the line compared to tunneling.

^If Greg Sorbara were still in cabinet, or even if some other crook from Vaughan was in office I would have said you had a very good point. But in this case here we just have a bunch of bozos in office who genuinely dont know the difference between left from right, so automatically they'll choose the least efficient method with regards to almost everything.

Hey, if we end up with a bunch of grade separated transit under construction in the next 3 years, at least this government will have accomplished something - even if it cost more than plans that were drawn up and scrapped 10 years ago.

Hey, if we end up with a bunch of grade separated transit under construction in the next 3 years, at least this government will have accomplished something - even if it cost more than plans that were drawn up and scrapped 10 years ago.

How far along would the TBM need to be before it is better just to pay the cost and not cut and cover?

How far along would the TBM need to be before it is better just to pay the cost and not cut and cover?
It really depends on how much utilities relocation they need to do.

I was told at the open house a few years back that Martin Grove must be a shallow station to avoid any complications with the gas line under neat unless the relocate that. So if they are to do a TBM shaft, it'll have to be closer to Windcombe Hill/Lloyd Manor. At the other end, it could be east of Royal York. That put it around 2.5 to 3km.

I really don't know why they can't just trench it in the middle of the roadway with concrete walls on both sides instead of sloped grass since there isn't much space for that. Each intersection would be an overpass similar to the Mississauga Transitway on Eglinton. Heck they can do that 3km west on the same road.

If Ford is really penny pitching but in favour of grade separation, just choose the cheapest and faster construction option.

The cynic in me wants to believe that someone in the PC government is getting kickbacks from the construction industry to build these projects in the least efficient, most expensive methods possible.
I think it's just the usual subway politics. Ford lives in the area and doesn't want above-ground transit. And neither do his conservative party constituents.

I think it's just the usual subway politics. Ford lives in the area and doesn't want above-ground transit. And neither do his conservative party constituents.

Baby, meet bathwater.

There are legitimate concerns about traffic impacts at some of the major intersections. By no means does this justify end-to-end tunnelling.

Residents in the area are well connected in terms of residents' associations, and there are lots of people with the professional skills and connections to push buttons. The surrounding neighbourhoods are autocentric by design.

Its a Ford Nation heartland.

- Paul

Remember that Ford lives around the corner from Eglinton and Kipling. Perhaps he doesn't want to look at a giant trench.

Mississauga also went PC Provincially, so being able to say they extended 'the subway' to Mississauga will look good on their resumes too.

Back