74     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
I recall Kyle Rae giving a presentation in my university days explaining how much of a pain in the, erm, butt they were to get to relocate when trying to build Dundas Square. They are/were a last vestige of another era for that intersection.

What a disgusting eyesore that place was. I remember it.

Yah.................but...........

I can't defend what the YDS site was before; most of the retail was in mediocre shape with buildings that were under-invested in, to put it charitably.

On the other hand, I often feel YDS is kinda dead, and the space does very little for me, even in summer.

That's not a lament for what was, but for how much better the space could have been.

Much as with 10 Dundas East, across the road; the proposal was never as good as it could or should have been, and we got less than promised.

In that case would I trade it back for the big flea market?? Probably not.........but why isn't the answer definitely?

Last edited:
Yah.................but...........

I can't defend what the YDS site was before; most of the retail was in mediocre shape with buildings that were under-invested in, to put it charitably.

On the other hand, I often YDS kinda dead, and the space does very little for me, even in summer.

That's not a lament for what was, but for how much better the space could have been.

Much as with 10 Dundas East, across the road; the proposal was never as good as it could or should have been, and we got less than promised.

In that case would I trade it back for the big flea market?? Probably not.........but why isn't the answer definitely?

I feel the same way. YDS pretty much sucks, yet sadly it's still better than what was there before. Toronto's "progression" is a truly maddening, passive-aggressive affair to witness.

According to this RedFlagDeals thread, Gap is closing their stores at Yorkdale (as well as Queen & Peter), and Gap Kids at Yonge & Eglinton and Eaton Centre. Gap Kids at Eaton Centre is attached to Gap, so maybe they're consolidating the space?

I wonder if The Gap is about to belly up. They are good but they are emblematic of the 90s when everyone wanted to go to The Gap but now I find it very much overpriced in the face of H&M.

Brick and morter stores are no longer profitable in the face of higher rent. Malls are becoming showrooms for merchandise when the better selection and availability can be had online.

Spiritleaf cannabis store is opening at the NW corner of College & Euclid, former location of a Starbucks.

20200118_102721.jpg

I wonder if The Gap is about to belly up. They are good but they are emblematic of the 90s when everyone wanted to go to The Gap but now I find it very much overpriced in the face of H&M.

Brick and morter stores are no longer profitable in the face of higher rent. Malls are becoming showrooms for merchandise when the better selection and availability can be had online.

Gap does have a good online store though. I have bought from it about three times in the past two years and it was very convenient. The shipping was quick; three business days (ordered on Monday night and got it Thursday) even though it said to expect five days. They have 25% off everything sales a few times per year.

GOTSTYLE (men's clothing) is closing their Bathurst/King location February 22 after 15 years. Distillery location remains.

After servicing the King West area for 15 years, our lease it up and with increased rent prices, we have decided not to re-new our lease.

GOTSTYLE (men's clothing) is closing their Bathurst/King location February 22 after 15 years. Distillery location remains.

After servicing the King West area for 15 years, our lease it up and with increased rent prices, we have decided not to re-new our lease.

That's a shame. I got a couple of suits from there nearly a decade ago, including one for my wedding. IIRC the proprietor formerly worked at Calvin Klein or Valentino or something like that and she was on site frequently. Her in-house tailor was good, too. They knew their stuff. It's probably a tough market these days with Indochino and Suitsupply on the scene and millennials spending most of their income on rent, student loans and takeout.

Danish Brand GANNI Looks to Enter Canadian Market with 1st Stores

February 27, 2020
By Craig Patterson

Unique Copenhagen-based women’s fashion brand Ganni is looking to enter the Canadian market by opening stores. The brand recently launched in Hudson’s Bay as part of a brand awareness initiative in this country prior to Ganni’s direct-to-consumer retail launch.

As part of its expansion plans, Ganni is seeking retail spaces in the 1,000 to 1,500 square foot range for stores in major Canadian markets, with a focus on street-front spaces as well as within enclosed shopping centres.

Back