592     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 886     0 

Canadian Opera Company 227 Front Street East

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Though I do not think there are any firm plans and there are certainly no applications yet but (based on the discussions at last month's LPAT hearing on the St Lawrence HCD Plan) the COC are hoping to build something (residential?) on top of their offices on Front @ Berkeley. This is a Listed complex of former Mill and Consumer Gas buildings so this will be 'interesting'.

Though I do not think there are any firm plans and there are certainly no applications yet but (based on the discussions at last month's LPAT hearing on the St Lawrence HCD Plan) the COC are hoping to build something (residential?) on top of their offices on Front @ Berkeley. This is a Listed complex of former Mill and Consumer Gas buildings so this will be 'interesting'.

Without demolishing any of the heritage, the only place I can building would be within the Max Tanenbaum courtyard.

1575221678117.png

From here: https://againstthegraintheatre.ticketleap.com/opera-in-the-garden/details

I rather think that would be a shame.

The southside of Nicholson Lane is mostly heritage too, though there is a small parking lot that I suppose could be repurposed.

But in that super block the only thing I wouldn't mind having a rethink about is the public school/community ctr.

But in that case, the same function would have to be replaced, and I'm not sure I see an intensification opportunity as I would imagine moving the existing play yard to the roof of a new building.........

Edit: I think the connecting building between the 2 different heritage properties may be a more contemporary addition. In theory, that could be removed, if I'm right.

However, it's only 12M wide, which doesn't sound overly exciting for a tower footprint.

I suspect they will try to build on top of the historic buildings (leaving them as the 'podium' ) - whether they are allowed to is another matter!

You could possibly build on top of the western building without ruining the historic consumers gas rooftop I guess. Wonder if their pitch would include classroom expansion, suites for visiting artists, dorms? There's part of me that wishes there were a bit more room so they could follow in the footsteps of the Royal Conservatory of Music/Koerner Hall - preserve the history, create an intimate performance space, etc. I'm excited/optimistic.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 7.14.10 PM.jpg

Time to say go to HELL and leave this as is. Forget about building on top of it

Don Schmitt (Diamond Schmitt Architects) was on Metro Morning this morning discussing a different facility in Montreal, but also discussed the Four Seasons Centre in Toronto and said they are working with COC on a new facility to double the amount of space available for free concerts (currently held on the atrium stairs at the Four Seasons Centre). I am pretty sure he was talking about Toronto (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the COC is only in Toronto). Maybe that is this?

Also, amazing how everybody becomes the NIMBY they criticize elsewhere, jumping to conclusions and making bold claims of outrage without seeing or hearing anything of substance regarding this site. If there is an application, we will have a chance to see it, comment, and participate in the process. Every property owner has the right to propose changes to their property, within certain rules and procedures. Nothing has even been proposed yet. Relax.

I know an insider who said the following to me...

"Oh yes, there have been rumblings about this for years. They will more likely gut and build overtop the admin offices and leave the rehearsal hall as a performance space. They want that whole complex to be a cultural hub for the area."

There's also some hints in this vision doc - COC 365 Strategic Plan.

I know an insider who said the following to me...

"Oh yes, there have been rumblings about this for years. They will more likely gut and build overtop the admin offices and leave the rehearsal hall as a performance space. They want that whole complex to be a cultural hub for the area."

There's also some hints in this vision doc - COC 365 Strategic Plan.
That is certainly what I have been hearing too. I think we may get some hard news in a month or so - probably with news of a major donor willing to 'help out'.

Back