News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

20191123_071221.jpg

20191123_071242.jpg

20191123_071255.jpg

I dunno. I love west Indian food and who doesn't need a hair cut. But basically those are the only two businesses between the Allen and dufferin. I'm ok with a RBC and a&w. If anything they would bring diversity.

This is laughable.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement. But common, we have enough dried up areas in this city culturally, I'm hoping not to add this to the list.

This is laughable.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement. But common, we have enough dried up areas in this city culturally, I'm hoping not to add this to the list.
True. There is nothing dried up about the area between Eglinton west and dufferin. If anything it's like the wild west. With weekly shootings outside the saloon.

True. There is nothing dried up about the area between Eglinton west and dufferin. If anything it's like the wild west. With weekly shootings outside the saloon.

I stated that there was room for improvement. However this still doesn't negate the fact that there are cultural institutions in this neighbourhood that have been in place for the last half century. Whether you chose to engage them or not.

Not saying I'm opposed to change. What I was saying is that I hope this will not become another gentrified boring strip with few businesses of cultural significance.

Eglinton at Oakwood has seen it's share of events, but it's not a point of significance on Toronto's shooting map. I see your subtle jab and I won't be race baited.

I stated that there was room for improvement. However this still doesn't negate the fact that there are cultural institutions in this neighbourhood that have been in place for the last half century. Whether you chose to engage them or not.

Not saying I'm opposed to change. What I was saying is that I hope this will not become another gentrified boring strip with few businesses of cultural significance.

Eglinton at Oakwood has seen it's share of events, but it's not a point of significance on Toronto's shooting map. I see your subtle jab and I won't be race baited.
As someone who does eat at one of the West Indian restaurants on Eglinton west I still am dumbfounded why every other store has to be a either a hair dresser or the same type of restaurant. Yes there is a rexdale a shoppers a Starbucks a second cup and God forbid a RBC between Eglinton west and Bathurst but there is also Chinese, Japanese, pho, Jewish restaurants, Italian restaurants, Greek restaurants, a sports bar, clothing stores, art dealers, jewelry stores, travel agencies. I get that you might think that the big box stores are a bit sterile but between Eglinton west and Bathurst I'd argue there's significantly more diversity than what's between Eglinton west and dufferin with almost no shootings that I can think about. That's my take from a local resident.

I'd also like to point out that I grew up near Eglinton east and Brimley for a time in Scarborough. There were two local arcades side by side in a strip plaza. I miss arcades by the way. Anyways the clientel was not any particular race. But the arcade would stay open much later than the surrounding businesses. Guess what. There was shootings and stabbings back then as well. Part of me doesn't think it's the businesses as much as it is the fact they are open so much later than anything else around it attracts people who should be at home. And then we get the shootings. I don't know why McDonald's can stay open late, or Wendy's... but for whatever reason these businesses that are open later than traditional businesses do tend to attract people who are up to no good. It is true I am white but my wife who is Guyanese does not feel comfortable walking this part of Eglinton.

Sad news...

Yitz’s Jewish Deli to Close After 47 Years

See link.

The news was announced on the deli’s Facebook account in a post that reads, “To our loyal customers, dear friends and deli-lovers, we are sad to announce that our storefront at 346 Eglinton Avenue West will be closing on December 1, 2019. Thank you for 47 years of support. It has been our honour and privilege to serve you pastrami, matzoh ball soup, rugelach, latkes and everything in between. We are exploring catering options to bring our recipes back to your tables in 2020. Stay tuned.”

According to BlogTO, Yitz’s owners had expressed concerns regarding the impact the Eglinton Crosstown LRT construction was having on the business.

I'm not surprised. There are more than a few businesses on the east end of the route (VP to Kennedy) that left because of low store traffic.

Right now it is impossible to get anywhere on Eglinton between VP and Kennedy without taking the sidestreets which are already slammed.

Absolutely.

Before the Crosstown construction, I would walk along Eglinton, visiting shops almost daily,. Now the road feels so treacherous and hostile that I essentially never walk along Eglinton (it's been months). If I intend to visit a store on Eglinton, I'll hop in the car and drive straight to whatever store I wanted to visit. I'm sure this has resulted in me spending less money at the businesses. I wish it weren't this way, but it Eglinton does not feel safe to walk on. Heck, it hardly feels safe to drive on.

Absolutely.

Before the Crosstown construction, I would walk along Eglinton, visiting shops almost daily,. Now the road feels so treacherous and hostile that I essentially never walk along Eglinton (it's been months). If I intend to visit a store on Eglinton, I'll hop in the car and drive straight to whatever store I wanted to visit. I'm sure this has resulted in me spending less money at the businesses. I wish it weren't this way, but it Eglinton does not feel safe to walk on. Heck, it hardly feels safe to drive on.
Can confirm, have converted to walking exclusively on residential side streets throughout this construction phase.

Same. I'm amazed any business can manage to stay open. I exclusively walked on Eglinton in the past and have switch to exclusively to residential streets.
i sympathise with that store and other similar businesses, however this is the price of progress albeit I do wish construction would be faster. Not everything can stay status quo and sometimes there are those who will lose out. We can only accommodate so much for so many people, and we need to draw the line somewhere. We just cant spoonfeed them all the time. They also need to find ways to maintain business through the building phase. Hopefully there will be a revival in the future for those affected.

Last edited:
Per
i sympathise with that store and other similar businesses, however this is the price of progress albeit I do wish construction would be faster. Not everything can stay status quo and sometimes there are those who will lose out. We can only accommodate so much for so many people, and we need to draw the line somewhere. We just cant spoonfeed them all the time. They also need to find ways to maintain business through the building phase. Hopefully there will be a revival in the future for those affected.
Perhaps cut and cover would have had a smaller impact?

i sympathise with that store and other similar businesses, however this is the price of progress. Not everything can stay status quo and sometimes there are those who will lose out. We can only accommodate so much for so many people, and we need to draw the line somewhere. Hopefully there will be a revival in the future for those affected.
I don't think that's really fair. Many of the businesses will be closed before this thing open. I'm not saying it won't be a boom for those businesses that survive but even that is debatable when places like the danforth did worse when things went underground. The very least the city could have done was cut property taxes for these businesses. As a resident I live through the construction knowing the area will be better, gentrification continues, and my property value inflates. But as a business it's mostly a loss.

Back