News   Apr 16, 2024
 105     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Brick Yards, Yonge St., west side, north of Belmont St. 188_? - Now site of Ramsden Park. TPL
Brick Yards, Yonge St., west side, north of Belmont St. 188_? - Now site of Ramsden Park.  TPL.jpg

Wharf, foot of Bay St. 1925 TPL........The TORHAMVAN (Toronto-Hamilton-Vancouver) was often scheduled to transit Toronto-Montreal-Vancouver via Panama Canal.
Wharf, foot of Bay St. 1925  TPL.jpg

Last edited:
Yonge St. Wharf, Esplanade E., south side, from Yonge to Scott Sts.; looking south at Yonge St. 1927 TPL
Yonge St. Wharf, Esplanade E., south side, from Yonge to Scott Sts.; looking south at Yonge St...jpg

Hospital For Sick Children, Nurses Residence, Elizabeth St., east side, between Gerrard & College Sts. Interior, diet kitchen 1908 TPL
Hospital For Sick Children, Nurses Residence, Elizabeth St., east side, between Gerrard & Coll...jpg

Hospital For Sick Children, Nurses Residence, Elizabeth St., east side, between Gerrard & College Sts. Interior, diet kitchen 1908 TPL
View attachment 216608
I see a pole in the corner to operate the windows, but what is the device extending above, and attached to, the radiator? I grew up with radiators, but never did we have attachments.

View attachment 216608

Is that asbestos wrapped around what I'm assuming to be a heating pipe on the wall in the upper left of the image? A lot of asbestos was used for decades as a fire barrier.

Carcinogen or white asbestos was used as artificial snow in theatres and movie & television sets before they stopped using it. Remember that when you see Jimmy Stewart running through the artificial snow (foamite and asbestos) in "It's A Wonderful Life".

Last edited:
Is that asbestos wrapped around what I'm assuming to be a heating pipe on the wall in the upper left of the image? A lot of asbestos was used for decades as a fire barrier.

Carcinogen or white asbestos was used as artificial snow in theatres and movie & television sets before they stopped using it. Remember that when you see Jimmy Stewart running through the artificial snow (foamite and asbestos) in "It's A Wonderful Life".
That pipe does look wrapped. We had pipes in our basement that looked like that.
In this picture I realize that the raised ledge is a gas cooker! I think they’re cooking food...I see what looks like eggs, and a sifter for flour, etc.

Back