News   Apr 16, 2024
 15     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 480     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Ah, I was assuming some level of vehicular activity along Yonge, not full pedestrianization.

AoD
To me what it sounds like what the city is leaning towards is a 1 lane road structure that is typically closed to traffic, perhaps with some off peak loading only access and the ability to open it for shuttle buses when required, but with it being closed and fully pedestrianized 90% of the time. Something like Granville Street in Vancouver but with way fewer buses and no taxis.

I hope they go for full pedestrianization on the busiest part between College and Queen. It would make an amazing pedestrian only space. The rest of the street isn't quite so busy with pedestrians so could probably use a small amount of car traffic.

I hope they go for full pedestrianization on the busiest part between College and Queen. It would make an amazing pedestrian only space. The rest of the street isn't quite so busy with pedestrians so could probably use a small amount of car traffic.
I agree. Pedestrianized as I described above between College and Queen, single lane traffic between Church and College and Queen and Front. Between Church and Eglinton it can be single lane with a cycletrack.

Ok, so there is a preliminary preferred alternative; #4

Highlights: 2 driving lanes in most sections, pedestrian priority from Dundas Sq. to Edward, one-way from Shuter to Dundas Sq.

No cycling facilities.

Allows shuttle buses and night buses to operate

By way of elimination of 2 (or more) driving lanes allows substantially more pedestrian space and some additional streetscape and vendor room.

From this link (city website) https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/9703-PIC_Nov_Boards_v15.3_low-res.pdf

All options seem to point to a major cycling facility on University Avenue as the preferred way to meet cycling needs in the near term with both Church and Bay requiring more study.

My heart says no lanes, my mind says 2 lanes.

All options seem to point to a major cycling facility on University Avenue as the preferred way to meet cycling needs in the near term with both Church and Bay requiring more study.

The scope of the proposed bike lanes on Univ is significantly more limited than I expected. I thought it would at least start further north at Bloor, instead of College.

And amazingly, the city still insists on maintaining street parking on a major road.

Last edited:
The scope of the proposed bike lanes on Univ is significantly more limited than I expected. I thought it would at least start further north at Bloor, instead of College.

View attachment 213982

And amazingly, the city still insists on maintaining street parking on a major road.

View attachment 213983

Last, first, there is no need for street parking on University Avenue, at all. This is not a street with retail of significance or car dependence whatever.

As to the cycling facility, I would imagine the logic goes something like this:

a) Connect major bike lane to major bike lane (College to Adelaide), as yet, there are no bike lanes east of Avenue Rd. on Bloor (I expect there will be, but that's a different discussion)
b) I expect they looked strictly at removing the 4th vehicle lane, on large chunks of Queen's Park Cres there is no 4th lane, meaning either an ROW modification or dropping the number of veh. lanes to 2.
c) Contain costs
d) Scope the bike lane proposal to the Great Streets proposal for University Avenue such that the projects overlap and consume 1 construction budget and period (that project is Adelaide to College)

By way of observation, I believe there is room to remove a 4th lane, non-controversially, NB from College to Wellesley.

The piece from Wellesley NB to the top of the circle is bit more problematic in that the Wellesley/Harbord bus requires the ability to use the top of the circle for WB movements, which would seem to require an extra lane. Though it may still be plausible to take the road down to 2NB lanes here, I'd require a traffic study to see.

Southbound the ROW really is constrained from the top of the circle to just north of Wellesley after which options become a bit easier. A choice could be made to cut lanes SB but do do that you have to remove a lane north of Bloor on Avenue Rd that feeds University. (I would support this, but we are getting into serious scope creep and greater risk of political opposition.)

Last edited:
Plus you can incorporate the bike lane as part of the Great Streets project for University - the section is really unimaginative compared to what could be done (two way bikelane between allees)

AoD

I don't understand why the one way options have two lanes plus pullover areas at some parts. Like why!?!?!?!

first, there is no need for street parking on University Avenue, at all. This is not a street with retail of significance or car dependence whatever.

Despite this, it seems the existing parking is quite well used. Which is not to say that I don't support re-purposing it for better things.

I don't really trust drivers to be able to navigate a road that changes its layout multiple times over a single stretch. I would prefer it if the whole section was reduced to one lane in each direction, or with parts fully pedestrianized. Making a single block or less one-way just doesn't make any sense without a parallel route in the other direction. What would qualify for that, exactly? University? Church?

I don't really trust drivers to be able to navigate a road that changes its layout multiple times over a single stretch. I would prefer it if the whole section was reduced to one lane in each direction, or with parts fully pedestrianized. Making a single block or less one-way just doesn't make any sense without a parallel route in the other direction. What would qualify for that, exactly? University? Church?

There's Bay Street. A lot of drivers won't even try to use Yonge Street anymore. It's not that practical as is. There are so many left turn restrictions.

Back