Niagara Falls 6609 Stanley Avenue | 254m | 72s | Hariri Pontarini

You got to start somewhere though. Restaurants and hotels such as these create jobs, and you don't have urban high rise living without jobs.

Of course but what has changed in the past 15 years to make a huge mixed residential tower more likely of attracting investors? Generally, you don't start building a market with a huge tower either.

Of course but what has changed in the past 15 years to make a huge mixed residential tower more likely of attracting investors? Generally, you don't start building a market with a huge tower either.

Hah, well that is the approach that Vaughan is currently taking!

But no, I agree with you. I'm pretty sure Niagara Falls is simply an odd exception due to the unique advantages of such a view creates. There is no guarantee at the moment that these would sell either, so until it is brought to market we won't know for certain.

There's one major difference. The ones proposing the towers in Niagara Falls are small business owners whereas Vaughan City Centre was persuaded by large real estate magnates with deep political connections. Also, Vaughan has built many condo towers before Vaughan City Centre.

The Cortellucci family donated $40 million dollars for the new hospital this year. I don't think the restaurateur proposing this could even dream of that.

Last edited:
Whether one likes this design or not, the more important point is that NF might start seeing its permanent residential population 'downtown' start growing significantly. That's the first step in building a dense vibrant core. This will be decades in the making, of course.

Niagara Falls needs a proper masterplan for the Falls area; tall buildings don’t necessarily make for vibrant streets (as proven many times in Toronto). Worse, bad tall buildings are expensive to fix.

That being said, I do feel that the Niagara Falls-Buffalo link is still somewhat tenuous, and limited by the distance/lack of a continuous conurbation, the border and Buffalo’s own economy. It’s definitely not a Windsor-Detroit situation.

Why wouldn't they? That's a lot of property tax going to the city's coffers.
Well, I was thinking I'd be writing something akin to that, smugly that they'd never turn anything down there, but at the same meeting yesterday they did turn down another condo tower on River Road, so they aren't rubber stamping everything in Niagara Falls.

This building honestly offers a lot more than a typical condo would, especially within the scope of Niagara Falls. There's really no reason why it should be amended or even rejected.

Niagara Falls is definitely not at the point yet where it needs to focus on highly urbanizing the downtown at ground level, there's a lot to deal with first, especially in regards to attracting more capital and increasing their tax base commercially, and this does exactly that.

Well, I was thinking I'd be writing something akin to that, smugly that they'd never turn anything down there, but at the same meeting yesterday they did turn down another condo tower on River Road, so they aren't rubber stamping everything in Niagara Falls.

Well then in this case I may or may not suggest shady dealings, god forbid we have corruption in our country

Back