News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 582     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

^I am ok with turning lanes, because it maintains throughput of the through lane. Especially if you are increasing the emphasis on turning cars yielding to pedestrians and cyclists.... You gotta store those turning vehicles somewhere until it's their turn. There's a diference between just inconveniencing motorists, versus trying to make a more constrained auto infrastructure work as efficiently as possible.
My point was more, do we need to go back to two through lanes each way, and (once the construction materiel and machinery all vanish) how much can we apply to other purposes as opposed to returning it to the automobile? Do we even need on street parking ever again?

- Paul

I think that a laser beam should just vaporize all cars that attempt to turn left but nooooo that would be a "human rights issue Rob"

22 months to revenue service... lol

Other jurisdictions (Vancouver, Montreal, K-W, Ottawa) seem to build these things within 5 years. We take 15 years on average and when we are complete the public realizes just how massively overbuilt the projects are. Lol indeed... lol of tears and regret!

Other jurisdictions (Vancouver, Montreal, K-W, Ottawa) seem to build these things within 5 years. We take 15 years on average and when we are complete the public realizes just how massively overbuilt the projects are. Lol indeed... lol of tears and regret!
1. Eglinton is in no way going to be overbuilt. Have you seen the station renderings?
2. It's a subway that's 4* as long as Ottawa's, of course it's going to take 2-3* as long.

With the Science Centre Station being upgraded to a possible interchange station with the alleged Ontario Line, I'm assuming that it will have washrooms. Hopefully, in 2022 when the Line 5 opens.

What other stations will have washrooms? I'm assuming the "interchange" stations. Mt. Dennis (interchanging with GO & UPX), Caledonia (interchanging with GO), Cedervale (interchanging with Line 1), Eglinton (interchanging with Line 1), Science Centre (interchanging with Ontario Line), and Kennedy Station (interchanging with Line 2 & GO). Is there an "official" list?

Can't find them in the Eglinton Crosstown LRT Interchange Stations – Final Designs, dated March 20, 2018, at this link.

Maybe unisex public washrooms, to save on space? See link.

Last edited:
If I kick the base of the CN tower does the top sway?

Not from a kick. The antennae sways about 1m from center during high winds (100kph), and the skypod (being lower) about 0.5m from center. We get 100km/h gusts every few months.

Next time it's windy, buy a ticket to the skypod and take a pendulum.

Last edited:
1. Eglinton is in no way going to be overbuilt. Have you seen the station renderings?
2. It's a subway that's 4* as long as Ottawa's, of course it's going to take 2-3* as long.
Yes it should take longer but ML has delayed the project significantly to reduce cash flow at the orders of Queen's Park. Basically 2015-2018 is wasted as mass excavation should have began in 2016 not 2019. It takes an average of 5-7 years to complete a subway regardless of length as long as there is enough workers.

The Crosstown platform length are the same size as the Ottawa Confederation line platforms. Those 2 car trains would fit the station perfectly. I'm sure people would be saying Ottawa is underbuilt but they are only running at 40% capacity. If they operated at 20-25 trains per hour instead of 14, there wouldn't be much crowding on the platforms and on trains. Of course they went cheap...

Yes it should take longer but ML has delayed the project significantly to reduce cash flow at the orders of Queen's Park. Basically 2015-2018 is wasted as mass excavation should have began in 2016 not 2019. It takes an average of 5-7 years to complete a subway regardless of length as long as there is enough workers.

The Crosstown platform length are the same size as the Ottawa Confederation line platforms. Those 2 car trains would fit the station perfectly. I'm sure people would be saying Ottawa is underbuilt but they are only running at 40% capacity. If they operated at 20-25 trains per hour instead of 14, there wouldn't be much crowding on the platforms and on trains. Of course they went cheap...

I thought they were actually shorter 90m vs 120m. Surface in Ottawa is 90m, but the tunnel has longer to allow 5 module LRVs in the future without an expensive underground rebuild. The crosstown on the otherhand has 90m underground stations to allow 3 Flexities to be connected. I'm not sure if they are the full 90m at street level though.

From link.
3.1 Design Principles 3.2 Operations Plan - Crosstown

The typical station box accommodates a 90 metres platform with a 40 metres service area at one end and a 20 metre service area at the opposite end resulting in a total station box length of 150 metres. Initially the LRT operation will consist of a 2-car trainset requiring a 60 metres platform. To protect for the ultimate 3-car train set the 90 metres platform would be constructed, but then temporary walls would be installed to create the initial 60 metres long platform. A 2.5 metres wide corridor would bisect the remaining 30 metres reserved portion of the platform leading to an additional secondary entrance.

Last edited:
Not from a kick. The antennae sways about 1m from center during high winds (100kph), and the skypod (being lower) about 0.5m from center. We get 100km/h gusts every few months.

Next time it's windy, buy a ticket to the skypod and take a pendulum.
Yes from a kick. A few assumptions.
1. The diameter of the Tower is 50m (assume cylindrical for simplicity).
2. Height of tower is 550m.
3. Modulus of Elasticity for ~50MPa concrete in tower is 35,000 MPa.
4. I can kick with a 50 kg force (500 N) at a height of 1m above base.

Deflection can be calculated as d = Pb2 / (6EI) x (3L-b) = 1.3 E-11 m, or 13 pm.

So to answer the above question - yes, I can cause it to sway.
To answer the previous question - yes, the Tower is still hydrating and gaining strength.

I thought they were actually shorter 90m vs 120m. Surface in Ottawa is 90m, but the tunnel has longer to allow 5 module LRVs in the future without an expensive underground rebuild. The crosstown on the otherhand has 90m underground stations to allow 3 Flexities to be connected. I'm not sure if they are the full 90m at street level though.
It's 90m at street level.

Back