News   Apr 18, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

The Saturday Club, an arts and letters group Frederick Brigden Jr. had founded in 1888 for the artists and engravers working at his firm. 1903 TPL
The Saturday Club, an arts and letters group Frederick Brigden Jr. had founded in 1888 for the...jpg

Wartime display (1944) at the GECO (General Engineering Co.) Munitions Plant in Scarborough
during recruiting campaign for workers: "Geco Calls The Girls, 3,400 Needed To Fill Shells."
(In the photo: Frances Russell, Audrey McNabb, Sydney Cumberland, Norma Clark and Betty Carroll)......Toronto Public Library
GECO plant-Scarborough 1944 TPL.jpg

The 364 acre Geco complex extended South from Eglinton Avenue E. to present-day Hymus Road,
between Warden Avenue and Birchmount Road, and consisted of 172 buildings.

Wartime display (1944) at the GECO (General Engineering Co.) Munitions Plant in Scarborough
during recruiting campaign for workers: "Geco Calls The Girls, 3,400 Needed To Fill Shells."
(In the photo: Frances Russell, Audrey McNabb, Sydney Cumberland, Norma Clark and Betty Carroll)......Toronto Public Library
View attachment 212076
The 364 acre Geco complex extended South from Eglinton Avenue E. to present-day Hymus Road,
between Warden Avenue and Birchmount Road, and consisted of 172 buildings.

My former neighbor worked there during the war. The tunnels still partially exist but are boarded up.

I highly recommend reading the book Bomb Girls: Trading Aprons for Ammo by Barbara Dickson. It was written about the women of the General Engineering Company (GECO). I have a copy signed by the author and it is actually very interesting.

See here for the book: https://www.amazon.ca/Bomb-Girls-Trading-Aprons-Ammo/dp/1459731166

My former neighbor worked there during the war. The tunnels still partially exist but are boarded up.

I highly recommend reading the book Bomb Girls: Trading Aprons for Ammo by Barbara Dickson. It was written about the women of the General Engineering Company (GECO). I have a copy signed by the author and it is actually very interesting.

See here for the book: https://www.amazon.ca/Bomb-Girls-Trading-Aprons-Ammo/dp/1459731166

My mom stuffed primers into hand grenades somewhere in Toronto. I don't know if it was a work-related trip, but there is a rather iconic photo of a Witt streecar on its side (perhaps Mutual St - 1944?) - she was onboard.

I have been researching the engineer-caretaker who handled the boilers in that building when it was new, one Frederick W Owen. He moved on to Eaton's by the later 1880s.

The 1948 Might directory lists Acme Aluminum Foundry [G Thompson mgr,] 429 Main St N (Weston) Zone 4-249. It was on the east side of Weston Rd, next to the train tracks and north of Parke St. It is now 2387 Weston Rd, the Dream Nation storefront church:View attachment 208357
this building collapsed earlier this year

Back