News   Mar 28, 2024
 399     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 290     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 317     0 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

So, if Scheer manages to lose, will the party encourage him to resign? Will Doug make a run at CPC leadership?

Dougie would never win federally. He can run for the leadership all he wants but he's made himself a household name for all the wrong reasons nationwide.

He is even despised in Alberta and that speaks volumes.

Dougie would never win federally. He can run for the leadership all he wants but he's made himself a household name for all the wrong reasons nationwide.

He is even despised in Alberta and that speaks volumes.

I know he wouldn't win, but he is certainly welcome to try!

My prediction is if there is any surprise on Monday night and we don’t get the slim Liberal minority we expect surprise will break to the Conservative side.

Scheer and the Conservative party host much of the more right-wing extremist vote as someone must in the spectrum of politics but they are nothing like the monsters being portrayed in this thread. There is near universal agreement on the basic issues across all parties. Example: all parties agree on the principle of progressive taxation. The Liberals want to increase the basic tax credit amount to lower income tax paid by Canadians, the Conservatives want to lower the tax rate in the lowest tax bracket. Oh the humanity of it all!

Lastly, as my final comment prior to the election result I would say that I believe fundamental my primary purpose as a voter is to exercise a check on political power. Many want to use their vote to find and identify with a tribe or support their team. I don’t really believe in all that. Because I feel my vote should be used fundamental as a check on power I’m bias to vote against the sitting government. In this case it’s a tough call because the sitting government does not deserve a strong mandate but neither are any of the other parties particularly trustworthy to replace them. It seems collectively Canadians agree.

I think conservatives will do better in terms of seat count than a lot of the polls are projecting, especially in BC (and somewhat in Ontario). I expect them them to win a lot of close seats with as little as 30% of the vote in some districts.

Last edited:
Prediction:

LIB - 137
CPC - 130
BQC - 39
NDP - 30
GRN - 2
IND - 1
PPC - 0

JWR with the balance of power.

Last edited:
And to take more action on climate change initiatives.
I'd like to see more action on plastic polution. Unlike climate change initiatives where Canada's contribution is mostly symbolic and about setting an example for the big polluters (USA, China, India, etc), in plastic pollution the everyday lives of Canadians can be directly and rapidly positively impacted (since the Feds set the standard for imports, and can set national recycling and stewardship programs, such as making Nestle and Tim Hortons financially responsible for any of their packaging that goes to landfill or recycling expenses). I still want Canada to take a lead in climate change initiatives, I just think as the new shiny bauble it's getting all the press and attention.
Prediction:
IND - 1
Silly me, I read that IND as Indigenous. not Independent. Now that would be something, an Indigenous Party, representing new Federal ridings made up of ancestral and reservation lands..
I doubt a coalition would last very long.
I disagree. The Libs and NDP share the left, neither have any interest in another election. The Liberals need 2-3 years to find a replacement for Justin, since he'll get destroyed in a third attempt.

Last edited:
Prediction:

LIB - 137
CPC - 130
BQC - 39
NDP - 30
GRN - 2
IND - 1
PPC - 0

Silly me, I read that IND as Indigenous. not Independent. Now that would be something, an Indigenous Party, representing new Federal ridings made up of ancestral and reservation lands..

I'd like to see more action on plastic polution. Unlike climate change initiatives where Canada's contribution is mostly symbolic and about setting an example for the big polluters (USA, China, India, etc), in plastic pollution the everyday lives of Canadians can be directly and rapidly positively impacted (since the Feds set the standard for imports, and can set national recycling and stewardship programs, such as making Nestle and Tim Hortons financially responsible for any of their packaging that goes to landfill or recycling expenses). I still want Canada to take a lead in climate change initiatives, I just think as the new shiny bauble it's getting all the press and attention.

If you use the same rationale - large countries contribute the majority of plastic pollution - whatever we do is also mostly symbolic. The point being - on a per capita basis, we are one of the highest GHG emitters and probably also one of the highest plastic waste generators as well.

AoD

What I find most amusing is how people buy into the idea of tax cuts being a good thing.

They win votes for the CPC but people fail to realise you need a certain amount of taxes otherwise things that matter are cut. Cutting taxes everywhere only leads to service cuts elsewhere.

Is that a feature or a bug? The reduction of tax envelope is a way to basically force future governments to choose either raising taxes (unpopular) or service cuts (also unpopular, but federally less relevant). It is also a way to reduce the powers of the federal government by stealth.

AoD

If you use the same rationale - large countries contribute the majority of plastic pollution - whatever we do is also mostly symbolic. The point being - on a per capita basis, we are one of the highest GHG emitters and probably also one of the highest plastic waste generators as well.

AoD
No, if my Toronto-based company dumps its garbage in your yard in Toronto, it's not symbolic. It's right in front of your face. Other countries aren't dumping plastic in Canada, we're doing it to ourselves and could quickly fix it ourselves, much faster than any impact Canadians could have on climate change. That's what bugs me, the fix is right there, just need the Feds to announce that in 2022 single use plastic is banned, nationwide, no plastic forks, no takeout plastic, re-instituted and expanded deposit program on beverage containers, including plastic lined coffee cups, national standards for recycling and plastics, outlawing the import of any packaging that does not meet Canada's recycling standards.

I hate per capita comparisons. Either Canada is a high GHG emitter or we're not, the number of people doesn't matter. If per capita is the measure we need only rig the stats by increasing immigration.

Reactions: vic
Voted NDP

The federal Liberals have broken many promises and frankly are no longer the party of Sunny ways and doing politics differently....

No, if my Toronto-based company dumps its garbage in your yard in Toronto, it's not symbolic. It's right in front of your face. Other countries aren't dumping plastic in Canada, we're doing it to ourselves and could quickly fix it ourselves, much faster than any impact Canadians could have on climate change. That's what bugs me, the fix is right there, just need the Feds to announce that in 2022 single use plastic is banned, nationwide, no plastic forks, no takeout plastic, re-instituted and expanded deposit program on beverage containers, including plastic lined coffee cups, national standards for recycling and plastics, outlawing the import of any packaging that does not meet Canada's recycling standards.

I hate per capita comparisons. Either Canada is a high GHG emitter or we're not, the number of people doesn't matter. If per capita is the measure we need only rig the stats by increasing immigration.

Sorry, that's just silly - there is the issue of plastic as a waste problem; and then there is microplastics that travel across borders by water and generally contaminate the entire ecosystem. Environmental issues have a tendency of not respecting national boundaries.

And whether you hate it or not is not germane - the fact is, you want other nations to cut their emissions when their per capita emission is low - they aren't the ones that are by and large driving everyday to and from work, fly to their vacations every year, heat their mansions with natural gas, etc. And let's not be facetious - our per capita emissions isn't going to drop just by increasing immigration when it is the lifestyle that is emissions intensive.

AoD

Last edited:

Back