News   Apr 18, 2024
 665     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 386     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

Found this online, the first few minutes shows the looong descent into Rideau station. I'm kind of in two minds about deep stations. It's neat to go down so far, but it really makes it too inconvenient to hop on a train to travel to a different part of downtown like in Toronto or Montreal. There are deep stations in Montreal and Toronto too of course, but that aren't the busiest ones. The byward market exit not shown here is particularly dizzying, as you have to go up four sets of escalators with 3 intermediate levels between the concourse and surface.

Rideau pretty much had to be that deep because of the canal. I'm actually now glad they didn't go with the original tunnel plan where the stations would have been more than twice as deep as they are now

The REM station at Édouard-Montpetit is going to give every north american deep station a run for its money

Anything can be solved with the right money and engineering though. You just need large, high speed elevators.

Note that outside of Ontario (and maybe Canada) they call it a "subway".

The Oxford Dictionary definition of "subway" is "an underground railway/railroad system in a city". That would the streetcar "subway" tunnel under Bay Street for the 509 and 510, and the future Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

The REM station at Édouard-Montpetit is going to give every north american deep station a run for its money

View attachment 209125

Anything can be solved with the right money and engineering though. You just need large, high speed elevators.

Having used elevator only stations elsewhere in the world (Rideau is deep, but is hardly exceptionally deep) I like that even less. I know cut and cover is out of favour, but it's hard to beat the convenience of shallow stations

Rideau is deep but has 3 exits (east escalators nearer Colonel By, west escalators nearer Nicholas, and centre elevators).

I took the Ottawa LRT twice from Rideau and the good news is that you do have 3 ways to enter & exit the station -- which somewhat lessens the pain of the station's depth.

Not my video, just one I found on YouTube. I keep wanting to take one , but there's so many red vest people that come up and ask if you need help I figure I'll wait until they go away.

Ohhhh ok, sorry about that. I didn't read it carefully enough I guess.

This tweet sums up my commute this morning. At Hurdman, there was a train in the station and people rushing the doors. It of course was packed to the gills, but they have staff telling people to stand back and people did. Less than 3 minutes later, the next train arrived, and everyone was able to get a seat.

This tweet sums up my commute this morning. At Hurdman, there was a train in the station and people rushing the doors. It of course was packed to the gills, but they have staff telling people to stand back and people did. Less than 3 minutes later, the next train arrived, and everyone was able to get a seat.

They're used to the 15 to 30 minute headways on buses.

Aren't there "next train" display information in the stations?

They're used to the 15 to 30 minute headways on buses.

Aren't there "next train" display information in the stations?

15 to 30 minute headways? You haven't taken any Transitway buses during rush hour, have you?

As for the "Ottawans don't know how to take public transit" thing, I think that's BS. Ottawans just don't know how to take this type of public transit yet. If you had the opportunity to stand at any of the downtown Transitway stops during the PM peak, you'd see people looking down the block, seeing where their bus is in the line, and moving up or down the ~100m long platform in order to line up with where their bus was going to stop. It was a pretty well choreographed dance routine at every stop. As far as transit users go, that's pretty advanced.

Back