News   Apr 25, 2024
 46     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

An interesting read on Ottawa's door issues that might be important reading for Metrolinx on the Crosstown.

You need to read the whole thread to get the full explanation

Ion and the streetcars are in manual mode so I think people force doors less often but automatic mode on the Crosstown may have very similar issues.

An interesting read on Ottawa's door issues that might be important reading for Metrolinx on the Crosstown.

You need to read the whole thread to get the full explanation

Ion and the streetcars are in manual mode so I think people force doors less often but automatic mode on the Crosstown may have very similar issues.

It's amazing that the same people know how to operate elevators.

It's amazing that the same people know how to operate elevators.

Well the dwell times aren't set right, so people rush the door. Once you're caught in a closing door, you'll naturally force it open, hence them more often falling out of the track. This doesn't happen easily on a typical metro train because they aren't using plug doors, so it's hard to knock them out of the track.

It's kind of a blame all around, but more on OC Transpo for not getting door timings right. It's one thing to close the doors on a straggler, much different then a whole crowd getting off the train.

Where this is relevant to the crosstown is that Metrolinx might repeat the same mistake that OC Transpo did, though hopefully not.

An interesting note i that I didn't know is a cbtc train is invisible to the system in manual mode. This might make shutdowns worse in all TTC lines when ATC is rolled out.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but isn't a break-light sensor on a public transport vehicle incredibly dumb?

People stand in front of the doors. They have purses and backpacks. They have dogs. They have long feet and shopping bags. Countless things that can obstruct the sensor.

I'm sorry, but isn't a break-light sensor on a public transport vehicle incredibly dumb?

People stand in front of the doors. They have purses and backpacks. They have dogs. They have long feet and shopping bags. Countless things that can obstruct the sensor.

Maybe, but the sensor isn't the problem, it's the doors getting knocked out of their tracks when they force close. But while OC Transpo is blaming the passenger, the issue is that the doors close too early for the loads on the train. There's no conductor deciding when to close the doors like in Montreal or the existing TTC subway, it's totally automatic.

The Crosstown will run the same way, and it's likely choke points are where it connects to line 1 at Cedervale and Eglinton

Anyway Metrolinx should be watching the Confederation line very closely, as they should have lots of cautionary tales to learn from. Given the general opinion of Metrolinx on this board though, I'm guessing hope isn't high.

Last edited:
Maybe, but the sensor isn't the problem, it's the doors getting knocked out of their tracks when they force close. But while OC Transpo is blaming the passenger, the issue is that the doors close too early for the loads on the train. There's no conductor deciding when to close the doors like in Montreal or the existing TTC subway, it's totally automatic.

The Crosstown will run the same way, and it's likely choke points are where it connects to line 1 at Cedervale and Eglinton

Anyway Metrolinx should be watching the Confederation line very closely, as they should have lots of cautionary tales to learn from. Given the general opinion of Metrolinx on this board though, I'm guessing hope isn't high.
I think OC Transpo's inexperience as an operator is showing. Since TTC will be operating the Crosstown instead of some contractor from ML, they would have experience with high boarding issues and how the door works (or not) on the Flexity. I'm sure this issue happens all the time on the 510 Spadina or 504 King as people rush the doors. Those King cars are pretty packed in rush hour and we aren't getting those hour long disruption cause someone forced a door open. TTC could station a bunch of people to manage people flow like the do at Bloor and St George. I'm not that worried.

Just going to say that blaming the passenger is the opposite way to plan a transit system.

Just going to say that blaming the passenger is the opposite way to plan a transit system.
Especially when the system is still brand new.

There are people are purposely do stuff like hold doors and pull emergency alarms on the TTC, so not all passengers are right.

Indeed. Evaluating a broken door, emptying the train, and driving off to the storage yard (out of service) for repairs shouldn't cause more than a 5 minute delay. A broken door shouldn't turn the train into a junk heap permanently blocking the track.

An interesting note i that I didn't know is a cbtc train is invisible to the system in manual mode. This might make shutdowns worse in all TTC lines when ATC is rolled out.

That depends on how the system is set up. I don't have details on the specific installation of the system in Ottawa, but with the system on Toronto's Line 1 that's absolutely untrue.

Dan

Back