News   Apr 18, 2024
 93     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 460     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

K, hold on. You might have to give me a refresher about when Ford wanted elevated on Eglinton East. I certainly remember this stuff like it was yesterday and don't ever recall this happening. Was pretty clear McGuinty gave Metrolinx the directive that the whole thing was to be underground, which is what Ford made clear too.

"Elevation" could be referring to the section around Wynford Dr, which is (was?) to be already grade separated. Considering the land area around Leslie, it's likely it would have been bridged from Brentcliffe to Celestica as well had Ford's MOU been honored and upheld.

K, hold on. You might have to give me a refresher about when Ford wanted elevated on Eglinton East. I certainly remember this stuff like it was yesterday and don't ever recall this happening. Was pretty clear McGuinty gave Metrolinx the directive that the whole thing was to be underground, which is what Ford made clear too.
Here's the link: https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/march-mou.pdf
Here are the words
The Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT Project A new Light Rail transit corridor, firstly along Eglinton Avenue from Jane StreeUBlack Creek in the west to Kennedy Station in the east, in a tunnel except for short sections in the area of the Don Valley and, potentially, near the Jane Street I Black Creek and Kennedy Stations; and secondly along the existing grade separated ·guideway for the Scarborough RT between Kennedy Station and Scarborough Centre.

This is all hindsight. I thought they said tunneling would only cost an extra billion. Most of us knew that wasn't true. But the pc, Ford, Tory supporters all bought into that price tag.

Ah the MOU. K, then when Metrolinx completed the EA work for this Eg-Scarb Subway I recall looking at the plates and the whole Don Valley section was in a tunnel. Is that still online somewhere? Was a pretty sizable vertical dip.

BurlOak has a habit of completely eliminating important information.

- The vast majority of the 'above ground sections' in the MOU relate to the Scarborough portion which would've run on the current Scarborough RT route.

- Based on the MOU, the province would not contribute more than $650 million towards any other transit projects. That money would come from the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT budget, meaning it would have to come in under budget. The only way there would be $600 million extra to spend would be if the project cost $7.8 billion instead of $8.4 billion. Given the planning stage, cost overruns and the fact that the Ford's routinely dramatically underestimate project costs, there's no way there would've been anything left for any other projects. On the contrary, the city would've been responsible for cost overruns (along with completely funding Sheppard, Finch, etc.).

It was a plan that had no chance of going through.

The big transit update to Executive Ctte dropped this morning.

Included recommended support, in principle for the Line 2 east extension, in a 3-stop configuration.

Stops at Lawrence, Scarborough Ctr, and Sheppard (no Eglinton/Brimley)

Delivery date 2029-2030

Lots more info to come

Report on this is here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-138947.pdf

Included recommended support, in principle for the Line 2 east extension, in a 3-stop configuration.

Delivery date 2029-2030

Lots more info to come

Report on this is here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-138947.pdf

Good. It's time to fix Keesamat's mistake brought about by her false promises.

Delivery date 2029-2030

Lots more info to come

Good to see support, but if the prelim report comes back with a stop addition at Brimley there is no reason the City would not approve

Either way its good there is finally unobstructed consensus to finally move on with a connected central line

Last edited:
Hopefully, this project is executed without any further delays. The route is set, some geological studies have been completed, thus there should be no surprises.

Scarborough residents, which I find to be the most rational in the city, will gladly and patiently take the bus as they are forward thinking individuals whom know the great importance of a network without transfers.

Back