News   Apr 18, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

What ignorant humour? Everything said about is facts

Really not sure why you felt the need to go off topic to post something so meaningless to begin with, even if it wasn't a completely BS statement.

Since you doubled down feel free to find a way to even stretch and enlighten an actual Scarborough resident with these supposed 'facts' that support of your nonsensical statement or please just stop going off topic with these absurd wisecracks

Last edited:
Really, not sure why you felt the need to go off topic to post something so meaningless to begin with. Even if it wasn't a completely BS statement.

Since you doubled down please feel free to find a way to even stretch and enlighten an actual Scarborough resident with these 'facts' that support of your nonsensical statement or please just stop going off topic with this useless crap
Pretty sure Scarborough residents were split pretty much 50/50 on if they wanted lrt or subways. Study after study said that yet you ignore all of that data because when you talk to your friends they think you're crazy and can't be honest with you so instead they just pretend to agree with you. Good thing you can come here and listen to some truth.

Pretty sure Scarborough residents were split pretty much 50/50 on if they wanted lrt or subways. Study after study said that yet you ignore all of that data because when you talk to your friends they think you're crazy and can't be honest with you so instead they just pretend to agree with you. Good thing you can come here and listen to some truth.

Yep.

Really not sure why you felt the need to go off topic to post something so meaningless to begin with, even if it wasn't a completely BS statement.

Since you doubled down feel free to find a way to even stretch and enlighten an actual Scarborough resident with these supposed 'facts' that support of your nonsensical statement or please just stop going off topic with these absurd wisecracks

My friend, I lived in Scarborough for several years. Way in east Scarborough too, by UTSC. So please don’t lecture me about expressing my discontent with local transit in Scarborough. I know how shit it is. I remember many hour long bus rides just to visit friends elsewhere in Scarborough.

And yea, that experience is exactly why I continue to insist that surface transit improvements are the single most impactful thing we could do to improve transit there. Make the buses come more frequent, and install BRT on all the major streets. Finish the Eglinton East LRT so travelling from east Scarborough to downtown isn’t anywhere near as painful. Turn the GO lines into a proper surface metro system. And, yea, build the Relief Line on Don Mills so I can get Downtown nice and quick. All of these things would’ve made life way easier than this Line 2 extension.

Believe me, I had plenty of hours stuck on the bus to evaluate which proposals would’ve been most beneficial to me. The Scarborough Subway would rank maybe 5th on that list. Taking the Eglinton LRT over to the DRL or Guildwood GO to get Downtown would’ve been a dream come true for me

Last edited:
Taking the Eglinton LRT over to the DRL or Guildwood GO to get Downtown would’ve been a dream come true for me

By my math, that would've turned a 90 minute trip from the UTSC area to Downtown into a roughly 40 minute ride by LRT+RER, or into a roughly 60 minute trip via the LRT+DRL.

Imagine being 40 mins away from Downtown from UTSC. Absolute madness. Like I said, I spent many hours on the 198 Rocket dreaming about those trips

Do you know what impact the Scarborough Subway would have on my commutes? Literally zero.

Nevermind too that it would make most of my trips within Scabrough a lot faster and more convenient

Last edited:
By my math, that would've turned a 90 minute trip from the UTSC area to Downtown into a roughly 40 minute ride by LRT+RER, or into a roughly 60 minute trip via the LRT+DRL.

Imagine being 40 mins away from Downtown from UTSC. Absolute madness. Like I said, I spent many hours on the 198 Rocket dreaming about those trips

Do you know what impact the Scarborough Subway would have on my commutes? Literally zero.

Nevermind too that it would make most of my trips within Scabrough a lot faster and more convenient

I would literally scarp the SRT and cancel the subway extension if it meant I could get the EELRT and RER. Thats how little of an impact the SRT and it’s proposed replacement had on my life in Scarborough.

Transit was shit in Scarborough before the subway, and it’ll still be shit after the subway extension. You know what would make transit there pretty decent? RER and the EELRT and BRT. But we all have tunnel vision and want to pretend that the SSE is the cure-all for Scarborough transit woes.

The people that actually use the extension will still be 90% as aggravated with the situation as they are today, and the vast majority of people in Scarborough that have no use for the extension will see literally no improvements to our commutes. Screw this project

I hope people realize that taking that $4 Billion for that subway stop, and actually building a Scarborough transit NETWORK would cut many trips, both to Downtown and within the borough, in half. The Scarborough Subway extension will do that for literally nobody. But you’ve just saved some people 5 minutes... whoop de doo.

Scarborough needs a real transit network, not a subway stop.

//rant over

Those saved 5 minutes are eaten by the several flights of escalators any rider arriving at STC will need to traverse in order to reach the surface parking lot/bus terminal.

And I was going to mention the incredibly long bus rides to get to the station, but whatever. When its all done, nothing would surprise me about seeing mean transit trip times in Scarbrough increasing. But, hey, can't beat a single-seat ride!

I hope people realize that taking that $4 Billion for that subway stop, and actually building a Scarborough transit NETWORK would cut many trips, both to Downtown and within the borough, in half. The Scarborough Subway extension will do that for literally nobody. But you’ve just saved some people 5 minutes... whoop de doo.

Scarborough needs a real transit network, not a subway stop.

//rant over

I'm not sure why coffey1 is so against a transit network in Scarborough.

The whole 'respect for Scarborough' nonsense put forward by Ford nearly a decade ago really worked wonders.

The SSE won't change much. A well designed LRT network + RER would be transformative.

This is why it would be beneficial for Scarborough to be it's own city. Then they'll have to deal with their own transit reality and work with the resources available to them.

If you have functional RER, and / or Long DRL East, then the presence of LRTs doesn't even make a large difference. Bus + RER would be almost as fast as LRT + RER, and Bus + DRL almost as fast as LRT + DRL.

In reality, that's not SSE versus RER. The two real options are either SSE or a couple of light rail lines, with same (very limited) GO service and unknown timetable for DRL Long attached to both options.

I would literally scarp the SRT and cancel the subway extension if it meant I could get the EELRT and RER. Thats how little of an impact the SRT and it’s proposed replacement had on my life in Scarborough.

Once you have no SRT and no subway, how would you serve the existing demand between STC and Kennedy? The peak-time load is ~ 5.5k per hour per direction and the SRT trains are full, TTC has to run express buses that duplicate SRT, thus the real demand is likely > 6k.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Scarborough residents were split pretty much 50/50 on if they wanted lrt or subways.

The results of elections in Scarborough during the last ~ 10 years, at all levels, pretty clearly show that the subway is more popular. Everyone who got elected, either positioned themselves as a subway proponent, or didn't strongly associate themselves with either transit choice. Literally noone got elected by running an anti-subway campaign.

Sure, the elections aren't just about transit, and aren't about a particular transit project. But when you see the same pattern over and over again: noone wants to associate themselves with one of the solutions to a prominent public need, then you can be pretty sure that the said solution is not popular with the voters.

SSE detractors surely could field a few candidates and try their luck, but where are those candidates? crickets ..

And regarding the idea to make Scarborough a separate city to prevent them from getting a subway: sure that's how Vaughan failed to get their subway ? They fought hard, but being separate from Toronto, they had no chance ..

The results of elections in Scarborough during the last ~ 10 years, at all levels, pretty clearly show that the subway is more popular. Everyone who got elected, either positioned themselves as a subway proponent, or didn't strongly associate themselves with either transit choice. Literally noone got elected by running an anti-subway campaign.

Sure, the elections aren't just about transit, and aren't about a particular transit project. But when you see the same pattern over and over again: noone wants to associate themselves with one of the solutions to a prominent public need, then you can be pretty sure that the said solution is not popular with the voters.

SSE detractors surely could field a few candidates and try their luck, but where are those candidates? crickets ..
You could only vote for a pro subway candidate in Scarborough the last 10 years because that's what every councillor ran on. It's much easier to get votes promising a Ferrari than offering a Lexus. So everyone did just that even though I'm pretty sure some of them had to think this is a stupid idea.

Back